Team Canada

1 hour ago, Xen said:

I don't know if he can because the younger guys are all bring in the war caravan of quads. That might be the case even if Patrick goes clean.

But based on the videos posted, if he goes clean, his programs will be one of those legendary programs that makes people second guess whether they should choose the same music. Having watched him since before Sochi, since he burst onto the senior men's, I feel like Patrick has finally found his own artistic "voice" in the past 2 years. This music, soft, gentle and calming is more befitting of his skating and his wonderful edge flow than the warhorses of the past. Can you imagine putting it just after you watch Seimei? Such a contrast, both equally perfect and the epitome of their styles, neither being warhorses too, the other boys better do mighty well to even leave a dent.

Personally, the SP is okay, but not as touching as the LP. I think the issue, is that the SP has little places where I think he could do a bit of a pause, skid or stop a bit before continuing. Since the pace is a bit different from the LP, he could afford to be a tad bit more dramatic. Though I will say this- if Patrick r****s after this season, then the SP lyrics make it very tear-worthy...pass me the tissues, now that I'm thinking of him leaving competitive skating, I chopped some onions.

That's why I really hope that he brings in the 4F. If the layout of the fs we saw is what he'll be using the rest of the season, I wouldn't understand why he chose not to up his tech.

This year's olympics is another back-to-back competition and I wonder if Patrick will be skating in the team's event (seems likely though).  I agree with you and I hope he''ll skate clean for both programs, so that the general audience can appreciate his skating more. Before I became a fan of Yuzu, my judgement of figure skating programs is simply how beautiful it is; I didn't even know what a quad is. It doesn't take a trained eye to see that Patrick has better skating skills than the quadsters. If clean Patrick loses to a quadster who fell once or twice, the audience will definitely question the judges' decision. Yuzu, Patrick and perhaps Javi have reached the point where skating is no longer just a sport but also an art form to express themselves. I think the balance between sports and arts is what makes figure skating so beautiful.

On a side note, I hope Patrick's costume is slightly more attention grabbing so that it can leave a deeper impression. Many times I've thought "is this just his practice clothes?" when I saw his costumes lol.

Have to say I've always found it a bit hard to connect emotionally with Patrick's skating but I think the fancam actually does him a service because you can appreciate his ice coverage and the flow of his skating much more clearly with this angle. Kind of weirded out by the last part of the Hallelujah where the singer just holds the 'oooooooo' for like several bars, but the style of music suits his skating and it's a style pretty unique to him. Also...these aren't his final costumes though right? Because if he goes out wearing another Casual Manly Sweater(TM), I will be having stern words with whoever's styling him =_=;

6 hours ago, sublimeskating said:

totally agree with you about patrick!  it's a shame that the current trend awards QUADS!!! at the expense of foundations like skating skills and artistry.  for me, patrick's skating always stands out with how smooth and solid it is - the young quadsters are amazing with their quads but their skating skills are far from patrick's level.  i agree with you about the PCS too!

i agree with you about patrick finding his "voice"!  i think his choice of music is great and really showcases how well he skate.  i will REALLY miss patrick if he r****s after this season because i always find watching his skating very calming and relaxing.  it's truly a pleasure to watch him skate and i really like the way he performs.  i think the quadsters are wonderful but something about the way patrick skates (more old-school than the young generation) really makes me love watching him...

You made me think about Patrick r***ng, and I realised that yes, I will probably miss him.

Though I'm not his biggest fan, I really like his skating.

And it's somehow weird to think of watching figure skating without him around.

8 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Nah. Jeff Buckley's version of the song always had that exhale of breath before he sings.

Aww...what a bummer. =P  I hope it has the same calming effect on Patrick though. =P

7 hours ago, kaerb said:

Have to say I've always found it a bit hard to connect emotionally with Patrick's skating but I think the fancam actually does him a service because you can appreciate his ice coverage and the flow of his skating much more clearly with this angle. Kind of weirded out by the last part of the Hallelujah where the singer just holds the 'oooooooo' for like several bars, but the style of music suits his skating and it's a style pretty unique to him. Also...these aren't his final costumes though right? Because if he goes out wearing another Casual Manly Sweater(TM), I will be having stern words with whoever's styling him =_=;

Same...but to be fair, I've only really connected emotionally with Yuzu's skating. I enjoy watching others skate as well, but not at the same level. And yes, he needs a costume fitting for his beautiful programmes. If that's what he wears, I'm not sure if I'll even call it a costume. 

56 minutes ago, katonice said:

You made me think about Patrick r***ng, and I realised that yes, I will probably miss him.

Though I'm not his biggest fan, I really like his skating.

And it's somehow weird to think of watching figure skating without him around.

Although there's always people r*****ng and juniors joining the ranks of seniors, it's still sad to see people go...I've not paid any attention to the junior skaters so it'll be strange when there are less and less familiar faces in the arena. =(

13 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

Wow, could somebody tell me what the heck was Patrick so scared abt??? 

I think this was a screenshot from a video where Yuzu was practicing in the foreground.

Patrick was doing some exercises in the background too.

Essentially he was looking at Yuzu here lol.

I forget from which competition it was.