2018/19 GP Assignments

26 minutes ago, Pamigena said:

I thought Nathan wanted to choose his GPs based on his university schedule? Or do I remember that wrong?

Oh, that's possible. As the 1st seed, he'd have the right to chose, so I guess if it suits him, that's where he'll be. 

4 hours ago, Moria Polonius said:

The cancellation of CoC poses an interesting twist in tetms of placements:  no Chinese interests to protect. I thought that China might not want to jnvite Yuzu in order to protect Boyang's chances, they'd most likely have wanted Kolyada and no other top-level skaters if they could avoid it. So, now, let's assume the event gets trensferred to Korea - Korea has no top Men's skater, nobody to protect, so they'd probably be all too happy to invite Yuzu to boost ticket sales. So the pool of hosts who probably wouldn't mind inviting Yuzu has just grown: SC, CoK, NHK, IdF. No matter where he goes, Yuzu won't avoid a skate off with either Nathan or Shoma, I don't suppose he'll meet Kolyada twice. But the CoK would be probably happy to invite anyone (unless they'll stipulate, "we'll do it if you send us Hanyu" lol) so Nathan might go there instead of IdF, which was basically Nathan's only choice before.

Wait, so if Yuzu gets multiple invitations, who makes the final decision? Is it then Yuzu's choice or is it something the feds agree on amongst themselves? 

Just looking at the dates, CoK is right before NHK and IdF is right before the GPF. Both situations are cutting it close. If Yuzu could pick, I feel like he would go for SC/NHK but that's provided there are invitations, right? 

I also wonder if there's still time for assignments/invitations to change or if it has all already been decided given they'll likely be announced in 2 weeks. 

21 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

Wait, so if Yuzu gets multiple invitations, who makes the final decision? Is it then Yuzu's choice or is it something the feds agree on amongst themselves? 

Just looking at the dates, CoK is right before NHK and IdF is right before the GPF. Both situations are cutting it close. If Yuzu could pick, I feel like he would go for SC/NHK but that's provided there are invitations, right? 

I also wonder if there's still time for assignments/invitations to change or if it has all already been decided given they'll likely be announced in 2 weeks. 

I think it's the federations that iron out the deatils but possibly they try to make it easier on skaters and not give them back to back assignments, unless skaters themselves are fine with it. I noticed that back to back events happen rarely so ghe do seem to think about it.

I wonder if a coach having a few skaters would be a factor (I don't think ISU would be that considerate, though).

After closer inspection, I don't think it's plausible for Yuzu to get both SC and NHK because Shoma will be at both.  If Nathan wants Idf, then Kolyada will take Rostelecom and CoK, and Shoma NHK and Skate Canada.  JSF might put Yuzu and Shoma together at one event, in which case it'll be NHK, but not two. If Yuzu does NHK with Shoma, then he'll most likely get IdF with Nathan. If JSF decides to split them, then Yuzu might get CoK  and Rostelecom/IdF, more likely IdF because RusFed might not want to have the Yuzu/Kolyada matchup twice and might not invite Yuzu. So if I were a betting woman, I'd put my money on CoK and IdF for Yuzu.

2 hours ago, Moria Polonius said:

I think it's the federations that iron out the deatils but possibly they try to make it easier on skaters and not give them back to back assignments, unless skaters themselves are fine with it. I noticed that back to back events happen rarely so ghe do seem to think about it.

I wonder if a coach having a few skaters would be a factor (I don't think ISU would be that considerate, though).

After closer inspection, I don't think it's plausible for Yuzu to get both SC and NHK because Shoma will be at both.  If Nathan wants Idf, then Kolyada will take Rostelecom and CoK, and Shoma NHK and Skate Canada.  JSF might put Yuzu and Shoma together at one event, in which case it'll be NHK, but not two. If Yuzu does NHK with Shoma, then he'll most likely get IdF with Nathan. If JSF decides to split them, then Yuzu might get CoK  and Rostelecom/IdF, more likely IdF because RusFed might not want to have the Yuzu/Kolyada matchup twice and might not invite Yuzu. So if I were a betting woman, I'd put my money on CoK and IdF for Yuzu.

Why is it for sure that Shoma will get NHK? Because he's second seed in the world? I thought the host can pick anyone. Yuzu is still a lot more popular in Japan than Shoma based on crowd response.

1 minute ago, asiacheetah said:

Why is it for sure that Shoma will get NHK? Because he's second seed in the world? I thought the host can pick anyone. Yuzu is still a lot more popular in Japan than Shoma based on crowd response.

Cmiiw but I think he can choose which GP he wants after Nathan chooses his

34 minutes ago, asiacheetah said:

Because Shoma must have 2 assignments and I'm assuming that no one will want a back-to-back assignments.

Nathan: Skate America. Apparently, he wants IdF because it coincides with his school break, and as the 1st seed, the request should be granted.

Kolyada: CoR. SA and IdF are out becuase of Nathan. NHK is adjacent to CoR so I imagine he won't want that and that the feds agree.

So that leaves  Shoma for NHK - and I'm assuming "we don't want our own top seed, twice national champion because we love Yuzu more so we'll force Kolyada to have back-to-back events" won't go well in the negotiations.  Edit: And as ansecond seed, like kelly said, Shoma could choose, and I imagine he'd choose NHK.

So, if Shoma gets NHK, the only event that's not already taken or adjacent to NHK is SC. 

That leaves CoK to Kolyada.

Of course if skaters don't mind back to back events, I gues Shoma could get CoK and then Kolyada would be fine with SC. Who knows, Shoma might be fine with it, travel time between Japan and Korea is not so bad, the same time zone, so there are some advantages.

But, I'm basing my calculations on Shoma getting NHK (I'm 90% sure he'll get it) and SC. 

So, now, how badly does JSF want to have Yuzu at NHK? They risk one of them knocking the other out of GPF, if one of them underperforms (at NHK or somewhere else). The drama would be incredible, the foretaste of Nationals, will they want it? They might, drama sells, or they might not want the headache. 

But anyway, my assumption is that JSF will split them, and send Yuzu somewhere else. Where? SA won't take him, SC has Shoma again (IF JSF has no choice and has to have Shoma and Yuzu together, then they'll have them at NHK),  CoR might not take him. So CoK and IdF would be left. 

Lol. 

Watch all my analysis being wrong, Yuzu getting SA and NHK, Shoma SC and CoK and Kolyada CoR and NHK.

12 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Because Shoma must have 2 assignments and I'm assuming that no one will want a back-to-back assignments.

Nathan: Skate America. Apparently, he wants IdF because it coincides with his school break, and as the 1st seed, the request should be granted.

Kolyada: CoR. SA and IdF are out becuase of Nathan. NHK is adjacent to CoR so I imagine he won't want that and that the feds agree.

So that leaves  Shoma for NHK - and I'm assuming "we don't want our own top seed, twice national champion because we love Yuzu more so we'll force Kolyada to have back-to-back events" won't go well in the negotiations.  Edit: And as ansecond seed, like kelly said, Shoma could choose, and I imagine he'd choose NHK.

So, if Shoma gets NHK, the only event that's not already taken or adjacent to NHK is SC. 

Of course if skaters don't mind back to back events, I gues Shoma could get CoK and then Kolyada would be fine with SC. Who knows, Shoma might be fine with it, travel time between Japan and Korea is not so bad, the same time zone, so there are some advantages.

But, I'm basing my calculations on Shoma getting NHK (I'm 90% sure he'll get it) and SC. 

So, now, how badly does JSF want to have Yuzu at NHK? They risk one of them knocking the other out of GPF, if one of them underperforms (at NHK or somewhere else). The drama would be incredible, the foretaste of Nationals, will they want it? They might, drama sells, or they might not want the headache. 

But anyway, my assumption is that JSF will split them, and send Yuzu somewhere else. Where? SA won't take him, SC has Shoma again (IF JSF has no choice and has to have Shoma and Yuzu together, then they'll have them at NHK),  CoR might not take him. So CoK and IdF would be left. 

Lol. 

Watch all my analysis being wrong, Yuzu getting SA and NHK, Shoma SC and CoK and Kolyada CoR and NHK.

Agreed, Shoma is almost 100% sure of getting NHK. I do think it's possible that Yuzu will also get it.

15 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Lol. 

When's the last time Shoma went to NHK? Has he ever?

I suppose I just took it for granted that Japan will always pick Yuzu so he'd be host pick. The last time Japan had two top skaters at NHK was back when Daisuke Takahashi was king (and had to withdraw due to injury) and Yuzu swooped in for the win.

Edit: NHK Men's field was kind of decimated by injuries and withdraws last season. Hoping for a better field this year.

51 minutes ago, asiacheetah said:

When's the last time Shoma went to NHK? Has he ever?

I suppose I just took it for granted that Japan will always pick Yuzu so he'd be host pick. The last time Japan had two top skaters at NHK was back when Daisuke Takahashi was king (and had to withdraw due to injury) and Yuzu swooped in for the win.

Edit: NHK Men's field was kind of decimated by injuries and withdraws last season. Hoping for a better field this year.

It's just the fact that if Kolyada doesn't go to NHK (and he won't if he goes to COR - back to back AND different continents), JSF has to invite Shoma or Nathan. Do you think they rather invite Nathan than Shoma? Either way, whether or not they invite Yuzu, I believe they'd rather invite Shoma lol.

1 hour ago, yuzuangel said:

It's just the fact that if Kolyada doesn't go to NHK (and he won't if he goes to COR - back to back AND different continents), JSF has to invite Shoma or Nathan. Do you think they rather invite Nathan than Shoma? Either way, whether or not they invite Yuzu, I believe they'd rather invite Shoma lol.

They HAVE to invite Shoma or Nathan?

Why?

I really don't know how they choose which GP to go to. I'm seriously asking.

45 minutes ago, asiacheetah said:

Why?

The top 3 in the world need to be in different GPs, so every GP needs to have one of the three. So yeah, one of Kolyada, Shoma, or Nathan needs to be at NHK.

45 minutes ago, asiacheetah said:

Why?

Short answer: Nobody really knows but the feds.

Long answer: The only certain rule is that the podium placers at the previous worlds don't meet up. The rest of GP placements are guesses and speculations based on past patterns by federations. The feds that sponsors a GP series will most likely give a spot to their own national champion - ex. Nathan at SA, Kolyada at COR, Boyang at COC. Shoma and Yuzu is a bit of a weird situation because while Shoma is the national champion, he won while Yuzu wasn't competing and JSF knows who brings in more revenue. BUT, even the " podium placers at the previous worlds don't meet up" rule gets broken - ex. Daisuke and Yuzu both at 2012 worlds podium but was both seeded at NHK'12 (if I remember correctly it's because French fed wanted Florent, Chafik, and Brian ALL in the TEB competition). Then you also take into account that some feds will try to protect their own skater so they'll be careful of who they'll invite. And then there's ones who wants the revenue /cough/ Didier /cough/.

3 minutes ago, dotsquare said:

What's the best way to be instantly notified when GP assignments are released? Asking because I'm kinda worried they'll be released when I'm asleep :/

Keep an eye on one of the bigger skating twitters, like Jackie's. He usually has it up in moments. Am not sure there is a different way tbh.