Team Russia

44 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I don't know how to put this but, compared to a lot of other skaters, her basic stroking seems like it costs her a lot of effort. She really looks like she's labouring during those moments. Her skating is clearly not effortless. 5 quads but she can't  fly across the ice. 

The same with Anna Shcherbakova.

I like Alexandra Trusova's fire, I am glad to see her in championships, but she doesn't really have a style yet, while Anna Shcherbakova is so balletic — ant it is what I prefer, although Yuzuru Hanyu would make me love every style he skates in (or Alina Zagitova street dance, or Alena Kostornaya modern-jazz). But those strokes...

Skaters of the past had to fight against bumps and puddles, they couldn't have that fantastic glide which makes (so few) contemporary skaters so pleasant. I am very ignorant of technique, quite new to watching figure skating, but the seemingly effortless glide is really something that "jumps to my eyes", contrary to edge (though I am sensitive to real turnout vs knee and ankle fake turnout in ballet, so it may come).

I know Eteri Tutberidze is not really allowed time before results (like Brian Orser's 18 months, which is already very short), and she takes pupils already "grown up" (like him), plus how to motivate Alexandra Trusova on skating skills? She won't get as many more PCs than jumping another jump, she won't get a dog from her parents either (like when she landed her first 3A). I hope at least, Anna Shcherbakova will, in spite of the jump race : it would be such a pity to see her talent wasted. She seems to have already progressed from last season.

Alena Kostornaya said in an interview that she had been taught to glide very early (she started skating at 4, because her doctor, after a few falls from trees, advised her parents to send her to skating, "to learn to fall"), and her teacher made her work really very much on it. Bless this teacher! (and whoever taught Yuzuru Hanyu to glide)

37 minutes ago, monchan said:

Eteri don't care about "long-term" in her strategy, her current skaters might only need to last for 1 or 2 more seasons

Well, by long term I meant lasting a whole season. I know the Russian girls have a short shelf-life. 

1 hour ago, SitTwizzle said:

This is quite clear, after several apparently contradictory rumours. Thank you!

They didn’t go on quarantine when their school closed down for holidays, but now it’s every school in Moscow that i# being shut down until April 12.

37 minutes ago, Fay said:

Oh wow, the Guardian has started an assault on Russian women’s skating? 
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/26/the-russian-dolls-have-transformed-figure-skating-but-at-what-cost

And who 4 years ago made history and was first lady to do 8 triples program and won competition against Zagitova? In times when no one heard about Trusova or Shcherbakova or Kostornaya? Hmm? That's what I thought.:war:

Nothing is eternal and one day also Eteri's school will end. But for me it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

41 minutes ago, Fay said:

Oh wow, the Guardian has started an assault on Russian women’s skating? 
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/mar/26/the-russian-dolls-have-transformed-figure-skating-but-at-what-cost

Oh, we see regularly that sort of rant everywhere (not only Philip Hersh). And The Guardian can have the best as well as the worst (though in general "less worse" than other British newspapers, hard to say from someone who have long admired, and a bit envied, British newspapers).

3 minutes ago, Paskud said:

And who 4 years ago made history and was first lady to do 8 triples program and won competition against Zagitova? In times when no one heard about Trusova or Shcherbakova or Kostornaya? Hmm? That's what I thought.:war:

Nothing is eternal and one day also Eteri's school will end. But for me it doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon.

Four years ago? Against Zagitova? In juniors? 

33 minutes ago, Fay said:

Four years ago? Against Zagitova? In juniors? 

Yeah, I wonder who it was?:scratch3:

Sorry.😅 It just annoys me that she is never mentioned, whenever there is talk about ladies landing jumps with big BV and making history in recent years.

5 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Yeah, I wonder who it was?:scratch3:

Sorry.😅 It just annoys me that she is never mentioned, whenever there is talk about ladies landing jumps with big BV and making history in recent years.

I’ve no clue who you mean, sorry