Music talk

52 minutes ago, Xen said:

What about the music from House of Flying Daggers? For the footwork, you could even use that 1 minute section of the main female's dance--the echo game: https://youtu.be/eCB4kwlr7ws

yes make me cry like this will ya

Sob I don't know why I get so emotional when I listen to Japanese OST's :sad-smiley-046:

there's a similar drum solo in the movie 'Fearless', that I thought might be perfect for the Step Sequence. I mean, both the Flying Daggers and that solo are veeery fast, and it would be serious work to insert them in a program, but I think it can be done. 

It starts at about 2:05. 

32 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

yes make me cry like this will ya

Sob I don't know why I get so emotional when I listen to Japanese OST's :sad-smiley-046:

there's a similar drum solo in the movie 'Fearless', that I thought might be perfect for the Step Sequence. I mean, both the Flying Daggers and that solo are veeery fast, and it would be serious work to insert them in a program, but I think it can be done. 

It starts at about 2:05. 

Because it's such a contrast to normal asian stoicism? =D But yeah, a blend of Umebayashi and maybe even Tan Dun could work (think Hero music). And that step sequence-we could use the one at 3:08 instead?  I have some faith in Yuzuru, that he could pull it off. What if we focus on it as an EX instead, a steq sequence heavy ex?

43 minutes ago, Xen said:

Because it's such a contrast to normal asian stoicism? =D But yeah, a blend of Umebayashi and maybe even Tan Dun could work (think Hero music). And that step sequence-we could use the one at 3:08 instead?  I have some faith in Yuzuru, that he could pull it off. What if we focus on it as an EX instead, a steq sequence heavy ex?

I also have faith in Yuzu, and believe he could seel the quickest and hardest Japanese drum rhythm available. 

There's also this:

The thing I'm wondering is how to tie this rhythms with one of the themes from Onmyouji. I think I could play one over the other, if I find a theme that fits. Omg this is my first day of vacation and I'm dedicating all of it to Yuzuru and his Long Program. What has my life come to. 

18 hours ago, Murieleirum said:

I also have faith in Yuzu, and believe he could seel the quickest and hardest Japanese drum rhythm available. 

There's also this:

The thing I'm wondering is how to tie this rhythms with one of the themes from Onmyouji. I think I could play one over the other, if I find a theme that fits. Omg this is my first day of vacation and I'm dedicating all of it to Yuzuru and his Long Program. What has my life come to. 

Well there are worse ways to spend your first days of vacation....actually I think it might be better to separate out Onmyouji and the other Umebayashi works into different programs. The drum beats that we adore, could work really well as an EX, where he can do whatever he wants, and won't need to pull out the quads. 

Speaking of music, what about the 2Cellos rendition of Now We are free? https://youtu.be/74CYIdYoQ5w The really upbeat section starts at 3:59 and ends around 4:27, which is nice for a steq and spin combo.

Wonder if Yuzu ever lurks on this forum? What would he say about our music choices? 

Staggering round like a zombie after a bad night - one product of my insomnia was some thought about FS music - film music.  I wonder whether there is anything in Danny Elfmans body of work- Edward Scissorhands?  Batman?

19 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Staggering round like a zombie after a bad night - one product of my insomnia was some thought about FS music - film music.  I wonder whether there is anything in Danny Elfmans body of work- Edward Scissorhands?  Batman?

Hmm, main theme for edward scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow Main theme and then there's the piano solo from The Corpse Bride...might need a bit of editing around, and there's also the theme from A Simple Plan.

6 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

I wonder if anyone knows the name of the instrument or synthesiser or whatever it is in SEIMEI. It's used so much in modern Japanese music, especially movie soundtracks, and I've been hooked on it for a long time without knowing what to call it. 

I don't know which instrument/synthesiser you are referring to - I guess there are real instruments, but for example the theme that you hear during the first spin of the SEIMEI program is made by a synthesiser. I am not 100% sure, but I think those synths are the same that were very popular in the 80's - because they were discovered around that time in electrical/informatic music, and they're called FM synthesisers. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1DvXBOkO5M In this video a guy shows you what you can do with a FM keyboard from Yamaha. You can do many different things with FM, so it can acquire many different sounds variations depending on the setting. I hope I could help!

On another note, I did the thing. I did my version of Seimei 2.0. I actually did it two days ago, then I kept it in the pc because I didn't like it so much. But I saw it again yesterday and at the end I thought that it does its duty: it gives an idea of what a Seimei 2.0 could be like. I think it's enough of a jynx so that Yuzuru WON'T actually go with it. 

More than a new program from scratch, I've adapted the musics a little to the first Seimei Program, so, as you can see, the structure is exactly the same. You've got the Introduction, the first theme, the Rhythmic Step Sequence (from "Fearless", the movie), then the quiet middle from first half to second half, the second theme (SEIMEI THEME!!!), then the progression to a third, rhythmic and powerful theme that builds up until the very end (from "True Legend", the movie). 

I hope you enjoy it and I hope to get some feedback hehehehe it's too much fun for me but then I'm biased when I see my own works. 

21 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I don't know which instrument/synthesiser you are referring to - I guess there are real instruments, but for example the theme that you hear during the first spin of the SEIMEI program is made by a synthesiser. I am not 100% sure, but I think those synths are the same that were very popular in the 80's - because they were discovered around that time in electrical/informatic music, and they're called FM synthesisers. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1DvXBOkO5M In this video a guy shows you what you can do with a FM keyboard from Yamaha. You can do many different things with FM, so it can acquire many different sounds variations depending on the setting. I hope I could help!

Thanks for the info. I skipped through that video but couldn't find the exact sound. A synth is what I'm looking for but it's a very particular sound that is used over and over in Japanese movies and TV, mostly 80s and 90s. It must be a certain instrument/equipment because I hear it so often but it's different from what was popular in 80s Hollywood movies, for example. Even in the live music concert for SEIMEI it didn't sound exactly right but that could be the acoustics/recording quality. I found video of people trying to play it on YouTube but, again, the sound wasn't quite the same. I might be a but if a maniac about this. :P

4 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Even in the live music concert for SEIMEI it didn't sound exactly right but that could be the acoustics/recording quality. I found video of people trying to play it on YouTube but, again, the sound wasn't quite the same. I might be a but if a maniac about this. :P

You could link me the live video and give me the minute/second it plays, and I might be able to research with you xD I'm kinda curious now as well. 

2 hours ago, Smultron said:

@Murieleirum Oh, I loved what you chose for the stsq! 

Although I still hope that reusing Chopin is a part of the plan where he gets more time to polish a new fantastic LP  :67638860: 

Well, even if the music might come from Seimei-related movies-themes, he would definitely make a whole new program out of it. Something like Romeo&Juliet 2.0 - same theme, different music, different program. 

I would love something like that :smiley-love017: But then again, I'd love anything.