Team Japan

Are we differing over semantics? I agree Shoma isn’t violating any rules.  I also don’t think following the rules means the game is fair. Let’s state that clearly. Often rules are unfair, or completely overlook and fail to acknowledge advantage and disadvantage. In politics, in society. Unfairness is everywhere and can never improve if it isn’t called out. Yes, Marin and Yuzu have some benefit over others too. That’s exactly my point. Lawfulness and justice are not equivalent. Yuzu is extra careful to be gracious and humble and I respect that effort. It’s a part of his greatness. It’s a part of Kohei Uchimura’s greatness. None of this has much to do with Shoma as an individual, because I don’t get the sense he’s at the stage of his career to have the final say over what his team does.

3 hours ago, beki said:

Are we differing over semantics? I agree Shoma isn’t violating any rules.  I also don’t think following the rules means the game is fair. Let’s state that clearly. Often rules are unfair, or completely overlook and fail to acknowledge advantage and disadvantage. In politics, in society. Unfairness is everywhere and can never improve if it isn’t called out. Yes, Marin and Yuzu have some benefit over others too. That’s exactly my point. Lawfulness and justice are not equivalent. Yuzu is extra careful to be gracious and humble and I respect that effort. It’s a part of his greatness. It’s a part of Kohei Uchimura’s greatness. None of this has much to do with Shoma as an individual, because I don’t get the sense he’s at the stage of his career to have the final say over what his team does.

Well yeah, I made that clear in my first post about this topic that my issue was with people using the word 'unfairness' to describe the situation because in the context of skating or competitive sports, it usually implies some violation of the first category. I saw comments on Twitter and even here that were quick to accuse JSF of favouritism or the organisers for somehow giving him a special privilege over other skaters (both before and after it was revealed he didn't actually exclusively rent out the comp rink), and there's simply no proof of that as we currently know. I agree with the substance that the ISU should have rules in place preventing skaters from taking advantage of having more money/resources and it seems an incredible oversight not to have rules against skaters practising on the comp rink prior to competition - my whole point was to say that people accusing them of the first type of unfairness (which is what you essentially do when you say 'Shoma is getting unfair treatment') without substantiated proof are...well, being unfair themselves to do so. 

Don't really get why you're bringing Yuzu and Kohei's greatness into this (which I wholly acknowledge), mind explaining your point?

= _ =; unfair now no longer looks like a word.