Team Japan

5 hours ago, Danibellerika said:

Holy Shoma Cat Reflexes Uno!!! I would have been happy to have caught just one myself! And that would have been before I'd just skated myself to a silver medal. 

Poor coach fluffy!

I think Shoma's learned to catch them because he keeps getting beamed by Pooh's for Yuzuru.

3 hours ago, asiacheetah said:

Poor coach fluffy!

I think Shoma's learned to catch them because he keeps getting beamed by Pooh's for Yuzuru.

The Power of Pooh making you learn Matrix-level reflex skills. Neo would be oh so proud.  

3 hours ago, asiacheetah said:

don't say it...don't say it...don't say it...

Why does Satoko jump higher here than in her entire program?

Couldn't hold that in for even a second. Sorry tiny queen!

I guess I'm not the only one who noticed :rofl:.  She's higher up than anyone. 

10 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

Per TSL, Marin Honda is going to Raf?  

Oh this is from them? Then I'm inclined to believe it. I knew she was there but I had the feeling it was just a temp thing. Guess it was actually a trial run. Well, we'll see but it certainly makes things interesting!

7 minutes ago, robin said:

Wow that's a really unexpected coach change. Could be that Marin is trying to move away from the media attention and focus more on skating (maybe the results form this season were a wake-up call for her)

I mean, Yuzuru is pretty much Exhibit A for how if you get the success then the fame will follow, and that's doable while training abroad. 

4 minutes ago, Danibellerika said:

I mean, Yuzuru is pretty much Exhibit A for how if you get the success then the fame will follow. 

Hm well she's already got considerable fame at this point (and had some success as a junior) so I don't see an incentive for her to be successful for the sake of fame, anymore. If she really decided this coach change by herself I would say she's genuinely interested improving herself as a skater

31 minutes ago, robin said:

Hm well she's already got considerable fame at this point (and had some success as a junior) so I don't see an incentive for her to be successful for the sake of fame, anymore. If she really decided this coach change by herself I would say she's genuinely interested improving herself as a skater

No fun if it's not sustainable. I think it will only get you so far if you can't even make it out of your own nationals year in and year out. People like winners.  Not that I am pretending to know all of her motivations.  I'm just going off how fame seems to work. 

1 minute ago, Danibellerika said:

No fun if it's not sustainable. I think it will only get your so far if you can't even make it out of your own nationals year in and year out. People like winners.  

Hm that's also true. She hasn't been very present in the sport this season... but I also don't really know how present she's been in Japanese media? I don't really follow her. Did she fall off a bit?

13 minutes ago, robin said:

Hm that's also true. She hasn't been very present in the sport this season... but I also don't really know how present she's been in Japanese media? I don't really follow her. Did she fall off a bit?

Not sure.  I don't follow her much either as she is not really a fave of mine, but I imagine most focus went to people that were competing at the Olympics.  But I know she has summer shows coming up so she might pop up more. 

Well it said here that Honda's coach called her lazy.

So, it's probably not surprising that she is changing coach. When I was young I had a tough coach (in a different sport), and though he improved us a lot, in retrospect it was insulting. My teamate stuck around long enough to win a silver medal in Asia, but she was kind of in depression after that and didn't go beyond.

To be a complete athlete, first and foremost you need to be a complete person. This is why Brian is such a great coach - he grows them not just as athletes but as people.