Programs we remember

I've heard about Torvill and Dean's Bolero program almost as soon as I started visiting GS when I first got into FS last year but I'd never actually seen it before (it's probably because Ice Dance wasn't really my FS priority). I hadn't realized it got that perfect 6.0 artistic score either, but now that I have seen it, I can finally understand why it's such an iconic program in Figure Skating. It's interesting because Bolero can be a quite monotonous theme, but they made it work by being so completely in tune with the music, where even their crossovers matched the tempo. Absolutely gorgeous. And some of those dance lifts were wild! Loved those initial 18 seconds too. 

10 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

And down, yo-yo again!

• Jane Torvill and Christopher Dean of Great Britain skating to Bolero by Maurice Ravel at the 1984 Olympics in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia

Jane Torvill and Christopher Dean were 4-time World champions (1981, 1982, 1983, 1984), 4-time European champions (1981, 1982, 1984, 1994), 7-time national champions and of course, 1984 gold and 1994 bronze Olympic medalists (they used the ISU one-time rule change mentioned above).

This particular program is quite possibly the most famous figure skating program in the history of figure skating. Even the youngest fans have heard of it, and it completely revolutionized ice-dance of the time. This is the highest scoring skating program under the old 6.0 system; it scored 12 perfect marks, and all perfect scores for artistic impression which only happened five times overall. 

A little curiosity - they did not wish to cut the music, so considering the program doesn't officially start until the skate hits the ice, they spent the first 18 seconds of it as you see them, kneeling on the ice and moving to the music. 

Original broadcast:

Alternate link 1 - HQ

Whoa! All 6.0 for the 2nd mark. And deservingly so. 

Again, I still don't quite know how Ice Dance works, but their skating was just so seamless.:tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

9 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Yes, they did the quadruple split twist. There are actually interesting bits in her book (that is a very good read!) about that one. 

"We won the Nationals for the first time that season, then went to 1987 European Championships in Sarajevo. That summer we had learned a very difficult move called the quadruple split twist, in which Sergei threw me in the air, I did a split, then closed my legs and made four turns before he caught me. We were the only pair to do this quadruple element, and it was very exhausting—more exhausting than difficult, really. Soviet doctors had measured my pulse rate as exceeding two hundred beats per minute when I did it. I had to spin so fast, that one time my elbow caught Sergei in the eyebrow, and within a few seconds, his eye had swelled closed, and the next day it was grisly black and blue."

It's also both sad and kind of hilarious on the why they dropped it:

"Sergei turned twenty on the day we skated the long program at the Europeans, which we would long remember because of an unfortunate occurrence. In the first minute, we had successfully done the quadruple split twist, which even Scott Hamilton, who was doing television commentary, incorrectly identified as a triple. So did most of the judges, which is one of the reasons why we dropped this element from our program before the Calgary Olympics: it expended so much energy but didn't appreciably improve our marks."

That move is terrifying and the physical effect equally so.  I wonder whether anyone has done similar tests on any of the quad maniacs or has any plans to do so?  The reason they gave it up is absolutely typical - the judges and commentators didn't notice!  Unbelievable- I suppose slo mo was too newfangled to be used.

I remember the first time I saw Bolero- watched them get into position and wondered what the hell was going on as they moved about on the ice without getting up.  The whole thing really was a bit startling- the usual thing was to have a programme with several climaxes and lulls and to have something that started low key and just kept building to a climax was a completely new idea.   I also remember how invested the entire country was by that stage after all that success-  it was a bit like a nationwide version of this forum, everyone waiting for news of the new programme and then major anxiety over whether the judges would accept it or hate it, was it too risky for an Olympic year, and of course they didn't have an Olympic title and were sure to r**** afterwards, so why didn't they keep the experimental stuff for the ice shows.  Glad they didn't. 

Torvill & Dean! What I love about this performance (despite not being versed in ice dance) is the way the program was choreographed. If you just listen to the music alone, without the visuals, it does seem repetitive (something Bolero as a piece of music was criticised for). But if you watch their performance it suddenly feels like the music is building up and up into a climax. I saw in an interview that Christopher Dean wasn't entirely satisfied with that performance despite getting a perfect score because he mucked up the ending pose. He was supposed to be lying on his side but instead he ended up lying prone to the ice.:rofl:

On 8/2/2017 at 10:40 AM, yuzupon said:

Whoa! All 6.0 for the 2nd mark. And deservingly so. 

Again, I still don't quite know how Ice Dance works, but their skating was just so seamless.:tumblr_inline_nhkezsTB3v1qid2nw:

Well, ID today and then differs quite a bit, and even by the standards of that time, this particular FD wasn't that difficult. What it was, was a choreographic game changer, and that is what pushed it into history. And yes, of course, their incredible skating!

On 8/2/2017 at 10:43 AM, Sombreuil said:

That move is terrifying and the physical effect equally so.  I wonder whether anyone has done similar tests on any of the quad maniacs or has any plans to do so?  The reason they gave it up is absolutely typical - the judges and commentators didn't notice!  Unbelievable- I suppose slo mo was too newfangled to be used.

The Soviets! They liked to poke and prod :laughing: 
Seriously, those type of things are incredibly useful and it would be something to run tests on today's quad brigade. Though, when it comes to them, I think it'll be more about long-term effects of stress on the body (especially ankle/knee/hip) and what comes out of that. 

If you want another roll-eye moment about this quad twist, the credit for the first ratified one didn't even go to them! Later on, it went to Shen/Zhao from our first program here.  I do not have enough face palms for skating and judging to be honest, and this has not changed since I was a child (a long time ago) and I got into this sport.

ID is a great discipline because the artistry is so important there. Bolero is clearly a piece of art. It is a dance where the moves flow from one to another and match perfectly with the music from the beginning to the end.  Nothing there to break the atmosphere of the performance. It looks clearly different from today´s FDs, no twizzles, steps look different, also lifts and spins look shorter.     

• yuzuangel pinned and unpinned this topic

I think I like these waves. Up again!

• Michelle Kwan of the United States skating to Piano Concerto No. 3 and Piano Trio No. 2 by Sergei Rachmaninoff at the 1998 US Nationals in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

A 5-time World champion (1996, 1998, 2000, 2001 and 2003), 1994 World Junior Champion, 1995 Grand Prix Final champion, 1998 silver Olympic and 2002 bronze Olympic medalist and a 9-time national champion (tied with Maribel Vinson-Owen, who we mentioned before, for an all time high), she is one of those skaters who has firmly written her name in figure skating history of both her country, and the world.

This particular program we're visiting is thought by many to be the height of her career, looking at both the artistry and the technical. It was the artistry especially that pushed this one to new heights, and curiously, this is the same program she went back to for her second Olympics 4 years later. She was placed first after the short on both occasions. This particular year though, Kwan had been injured, a stress fracture of her foot, which had caused her to withdraw from a previous competition. In spite of that, she skated through and managed to get 7 out of 9 6.0 perfect marks for it. Not to mention, make the judges cry (literally. Both were men too. One swore not to give another 6.0 during the free, as the one he gave for the short was the first one in his career. He changed his mind when he saw Kwan's long program).

One thing that always remains when Michelle Kwan is mentioned, is that she never achieved that coveted Olympic gold. Yet, in the grand scheme of things, it is her that we come back to, with her immense contribution to skating during the long years of her career, proving that while certainly important in an athlete's career, it is certain not the end all, be all of one and the lack of it is no impediment to achieving legendary status.

When I got into FS, Michelle has r****d for awhile, so I did not get to enjoy her during her active years. Yuna said Michelle is her hero, and that's how I knew about her.

I was disheartened when I found out she did not win the Oly's gold (which went to Tara, of all people:facepalm:), but I am glad that despite that, she is still considered a legend in FS. I think one commentator always commented on her 'silent blades' for how effortless her skating was. And this program, bearing in mind she was recovering from injuries, was a testament to that.

Current ladies FS really needs to recapture the effortless beautiful skating of the former generations, imo. It's part of the reasons I switched my focus to men's, other than, you know, Yuzu. :biggrin:

On ‎2017‎年‎7‎月‎28‎日 at 午後11時46分, Yatagarasuさんが言いました:

And down! (hope nobody gets Tardis-sick!)

• Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov of Soviet Union/Russia skating to Piano Sonata No. 8 "Pathétique", Piano Sonata No. 14 "Moonlight" at the 1994 Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway.

If we called them the greatest pair team to have skated, I don't think many would be angry with us; one of the greatest ever certainly, in the entire history of the sport. Three-times European champions (1988, 1990, 1994), four-time World champions (1986, 1987, 1989, 1990), 1985 World Junior champions and the 1988 and 1994 Olympic champions.

Awww, i can't fully express how much i love this couple.  Sadly I couldn't see them real time, but i was addicted to them after i'd got into figure skating after sochi.  Her loveliness, elegance, modesty,... From a young girl to a matured lady, she was so beautiful and graceful.  I'm sure how many couple are coming with more techniques, none of them wont beat them.  They were just like a prince and princess popping out movie. 

On 8/5/2017 at 7:14 PM, Yatagarasu said:

I think I like these waves. Up again!

• Michelle Kwan of the United States skating to Piano Concerto No. 3 and Piano Trio No. 2 by Sergei Rachmaninoff at the 1998 US Nationals in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States

One thing that always remains when Michelle Kwan is mentioned, is that she never achieved that coveted Olympic gold. Yet, in the grand scheme of things, it is her that we come back to, with her immense contribution to skating during the long years of her career, proving that while certainly important in an athlete's career, it is certain not the end all, be all of one and the lack of it is no impediment to achieving legendary status.

Still i feel sad to think Nagano couldn't allow her to become a queen although she utterly deserved it.  She had been having sheer craving for Olympic gold more than else and worked so hard.  Miss perfect betrayed her at the Olympic in her country... One fall, that was all under the old scoring system... She had ex with gold costume and the song of "Field of gold".  She had lot of tears in her eyes after skating... So heartbreaking.

Since i have a memory of Kwan, i don't want yuzu to be Mr.perfect.  Yuzu tries to be perfect in every competition, but what i wish is he has the two clean programs at Olympics.

Up now, much closer to where we are today!

• Daisuke Takahashi of Japan skating to music from the motion picture La Strada by Nino Rota at the 2010 World Championships in Torino, Italy

Of course we have to mention him! 2010 World champion, 2002 World Junior champion, 2012 Grand Prix Final champion, a 2-time Four Continents Champion (2008, 2011), 2-time winner of Winter Universiade (2005, 2007), 5-times national champion and of course, the 2010 Olympic bronze medalist, along with quite a few other medals that grace his display cabinets.

We'll back up a little first. In the pre-Olympics season just before his first GP event, it had been announced that Takahashi was injured. It was his right knee (he had a torn ACL) and had to undergo surgery for it. He ended up with a bolt inserted into his right knee and an entire missed season.

Come the Olympics, after taking his 4th national title he won the Olympic bronze, a first for a Japanese man in figure skating. But we're moving a little bit further in time, the Worlds right after it, in Torino, Italy.

After the short program, he was sitting in first place and then this free skate happened. It was enough to win him the gold medal (Patrick Chan got silver) which was the first gold medal for Japan in the men's discipline and the first gold medal for an Asian man. It was also the competition where he attempted the 4F, though it was not ratified because it was two-footed and under-rotated. But it was a bold choice, to attempt it, and along with his expressiveness, skating skills ,musicality and a wonderful program choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo, it won the day! Finally!

Alternate Link 1 - Japanese commentary

Alternate Link 2 - Italian commentary, RAI

This is not my favorite of Daisuke's programs (I've seen others I've loved more like Blues for Kooks) but damn if that first step sequence wasn't on fire! :smiley-love017: He is so expressive and so smooth. :10636614: 

Between Dai and Boyang's La Strada, though, I realize there's a certain common clownish-ness to the character being portrayed (they both scratch their head in their performances too) and now I kind of want to check out the Fellini movie this theme comes from to catch whatever they're referencing in these choreographies. 

16 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

Up now, much closer to where we are today!

• Daisuke Takahashi of Japan skating to music from the motion picture La Strada by Nino Rota at the 2010 World Championships in Torino, Italy

Of course we have to mention him! 2010 World champion, 2002 World Junior champion, 2012 Grand Prix Final champion, a 2-time Four Continents Champion (2008, 2011), 2-time winner of Winter Universiade (2005, 2007), 5-times national champion and of course, the 2010 Olympic bronze medalist, along with quite a few other medals that grace his display cabinets.

We'll back up a little first. In the pre-Olympics season just before his first GP event, it had been announced that Takahashi was injured. It was his right knee (he had a torn ACL) and had to undergo surgery for it. He ended up with a bolt inserted into his right knee and an entire missed season.

Come the Olympics, after taking his 4th national title he won the Olympic bronze, a first for a Japanese man in figure skating. But we're moving a little bit further in time, the Worlds right after it, in Torino, Italy.

After the short program, he was sitting in first place and then this free skate happened. It was enough to win him the gold medal (Patrick Chan got silver) which was the first gold medal for Japan in the men's discipline and the first gold medal for an Asian man. It was also the competition where he attempted the 4F, though it was not ratified because it was two-footed and under-rotated. But it was a bold choice, to attempt it, and along with his expressiveness, skating skills ,musicality and a wonderful program choreographed by Pasquale Camerlengo, it won the day! Finally!

Alternate Link 1 - Japanese commentary

Alternate Link 2 - Italian commentary, RAI

I just came here to see if this had been shared yet and there it was! One of my favourite skates of all time by my probably second favourite of all time.