Warhorses: Who skated it best?

There's always that one skater/couple who comes to mind first when you hear the music of an oft-beaten figure skating warhorse, no matter how many people skate to it. What music do you match with which skater?

I'll start:

Scheherazade: Yuna Kim. I know this isn't one of her most celebrated performances, but I think she performed it so well at Worlds 2009. It flowed so well and she was so light and delicate. When I hear Scheherazade I just think of her and her red dress.

Phantom of the Opera: Yuzuru, of course. One of my favorite costumes :biggrin:

Romeo and Juliet (Nino Rota version): Yuzuru and Sasha Cohen. Yuzu because...it's Yuzu (and it's the OGM), but Sasha because that was the first figure skating program I've ever watched on TV and it was just beautiful.

Swan Lake: Elena Ilinykh and Nikita Katsalapov. The first lift where she holds that pose like a ballerina was amazing!

I have always loved Bolero, it's one of my favourite warhorses. When I listen to the music, two programs come to my mind usually: Torville/Dean's FS is iconic and timeless, I still rewatch it once in a while. The other one is Carolina Kostner's free skate: the choreo was amazing and she interpreted it beautifully. The music suited her a lot.

No one will ever approach John Curry's Don Quixote for me - first skater I am aware of ever watching, and even now on YouTube it's such a polished finished elegant performance. I don't care that the jumps are outdated.  The only other skater who has been that 'finished' is YH - which is why I'm here!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest turquoiseblue

Here are some of my favourites :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

• Riverdance
    Shae-Lynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz
    Tomoyuki Koriyama
  • Schindler's List
    Alexandra & Roman Zaretsky
  • East of Eden
    Tatsuki Machida
  • Polovtsian Dances
    Alexander Majorov

Danse macabre: krylova/ovsiannikov

Scheherezade: midori

East of Eden: Michelle Kwan

Rachmaninov: Mishkuteniuk/ Dmitriev

Don quixote: viktor petrenko

Carmen: Gordeeva/Grinkov(march of toreadors), Katarina Witt

Meditation Thaiis: GordeevaGrinkov

Tchaikovsky RJ: G/G

Prokofiev RJ: Anisina/Peizerat

Better stop for now!!!

7 hours ago, turquoiseblue said:

Here are some of my favourites :tumblr_inline_mg15qnUpxW1qdlkyg: :tumblr_inline_mg16f5AQHM1qdlkyg: :tumblr_inline_mg16htbP2l1qdlkyg: 

• Riverdance
    Shae-Lynn Bourne & Victor Kraatz
    Tomoyuki Koriyama
  • Schindler's List
    Alexandra & Roman Zaretsky
  • East of Eden
    Tatsuki Machida
  • Polovtsian Dances
    Alexander Majorov

I liked very much Jason Brown's Rverdance and Julia's Schindler's List, too!!! :loveeyes:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm predictable, but the only Warhorses I remember are Yuzuru's and Shizuka's Turandot (which is my actual first female solist program I watched, ngl), the swan lake makes me torn between the White Legend and cyberswan (I adore variations), as for R&J...Yuzuru, but Marin had come pretty close last year, too... Sheherezade I stand by Yuna Kim if only because my class at the presentation about the Russian compositors I co-created made us watch the whole thing instead of a minute or so like I planned- it has to say something :laughing: Though Rachmaninov is still Mao's compositor...