Hey, remember us?

Japanese girl pop group “Momoiro Clover Z” released a music video features some athletes including Nobunari Oda. Nobu played a table tennis coach cheering Reni Takagi and Momoka Ariyasu competing with real table tennis players. During the shooting, there was no need for them to voice anything because it was a music video, but Nobu actually cheered for them saying “Do your best, you can do it!”  (source)

BLAST! by Momoiro Clover Z

Yatagarasu's posting of John Curry's Olympic programme made me go and look for more about him- found a video of part of a documentary called '50 Golden Days' about him winning Europeans, Olympics, and Worlds in the same season.  He originally decided not to go to the world championships but changed his mind feeling that despite the Olympic medal he wouldn't really be regarded as a true champion if he wasn't willing to put himself out there for the last big competition of the season.  (Mr Fassi was annoyed with him for his u turn as he hadn't trained for several weeks).

24 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

Yatagarasu's posting of John Curry's Olympic programme made me go and look for more about him- found a video of part of a documentary called '50 Golden Days' about him winning Europeans, Olympics, and Worlds in the same season.  He originally decided not to go to the world championships but changed his mind feeling that despite the Olympic medal he wouldn't really be regarded as a true champion if he wasn't willing to put himself out there for the last big competition of the season.  (Mr Fassi was annoyed with him for his u turn as he hadn't trained for several weeks).

I know what I'm watching later.. :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: Found some youtube links but they seemed to skip part 2... For anyone else interested..

Part 1

Part 3

Part 4

24 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I know what I'm watching later.. :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: Found some youtube links but they seemed to skip part 2... For anyone else interested..

Part 1

Part 3

Part 4

4 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Part 1

Part 3

Part 4

Thank you for this - I really need to learn how to link this stuff

@kaeryth I remembered your comment that you thought Machida might have been influenced by him- in my hunt for memory lane on YouTube I was reminded that it was in the era of compulsory figures, and I think I saw somewhere that Machida's coach was a great believer in them - that might be part of the resemblance, the muscle memory of the tight control needed to do them successfully.

23 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

@kaeryth I remembered your comment that you thought Machida might have been influenced by him- in my hunt for memory lane on YouTube I was reminded that it was in the era of compulsory figures, and I think I saw somewhere that Machida's coach was a great believer in them - that might be part of the resemblance, the muscle memory of the tight control needed to do them successfully.

PJ Kwong did a podcast interview with Takeshi Honda (at around 16:50) and he said that in Japan they still taught compulsary figures. So that's highly likely the case.