The Planet's BTS Fan Club

rockstaryuzu

To be frank, I'm harboring deep reservations about Golden now. Look at the credits - not one single BigHit or HYBE PD or writer among them - not even JK himself! It's such a departure from their usual M.O., and frankly I think it smacks of pandering to the part of thr American music industry who've always been so using and snotty towards them. 

However, I do trust JK's musical judgement to some degree, so I will wait and see what it sounds like. But I'm not happy with it as it stands. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

To be frank, I'm harboring deep reservations about Golden now. Look at the credits - not one single BigHit or HYBE PD or writer among them - not even JK himself! It's such a departure from their usual M.O., and frankly I think it smacks of pandering to the part of thr American music industry who've always been so using and snotty towards them. 

However, I do trust JK's musical judgement to some degree, so I will wait and see what it sounds like. But I'm not happy with it as it stands. 

I concur - especially with "JK's musical judgement to some degree". I wonder why he doesn't seem to have recorded any of this in Korea with all of the writing and producing teams he's been with for a decade (who are amazing).  I' m feeling a lot of Scooter here and I don't like it.  Just the push to have everything in English feels wrong to me.  He understands not a lot of the language and there isn't a single Korean BTS song that I would rather have in English.  It's almost pushing too hard for the American market and he doesn't need to do that.

I will withhold total contempt until I hear all the songs and I hold out a little hope for the one that Ed Sheeran worked on and, I hope, the main track.  That one dude, Cirkut, is all over the place and is Canadian, oddly.  I've looked at who he's worked with and there is no way to pin his style down, so he may cater a little more to the artist.

I do wonder how Korean ARMY feel about this "all English" thing.   (And Jimin and Tae are making me smile today -)  Edit: Also TXT  - they have really grown and are SOOOOOO good.

Golden is clearly catered to the Western audience but JK also really loves Western pop music. He's done so many covers of Western artists for funsies. 

I had reservations early on because I didn't like the 1st single and I'm sure there are others I won't like, but I do think this music is to his taste. It doesn't bother me that he's not using the same team. Part of chapter 2 is each member getting to explore his own tastes and goals so of course you'll work with different people with different objectives. Tae used a different team and his album is great in spite of the producer he chose putting out garbage music previously (which made me nervous for him as well). Whether we like the music they put out or not, I do trust that they're following their personal compasses.

btw, this is why I push being kind to fans of other groups. All you're going to do is spread hate (and possibly monetize the blue check marks) by replying with hostility, but occasionally you lead someone to give the guys a chance when you're nice

3 hours ago, barbara said:

That one dude, Cirkut, is all over the place and is Canadian, oddly.  I've looked at who he's worked with and there is no way to pin his style down, so he may cater a little more to the artist.

Well, the silver lining to that is that hopefully all the songs will be able to get Canadian radio play because they'll meet CanCon rules. 

But yeah. I don't want to catastrophize but I smell too much 🛵

1 hour ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Golden is clearly catered to the Western audience but JK also really loves Western pop music. He's done so many covers of Western artists for funsies. 

I had reservations early on because I didn't like the 1st single and I'm sure there are others I won't like, but I do think this music is to his taste. It doesn't bother me that he's not using the same team. Part of chapter 2 is each member getting to explore his own tastes and goals so of course you'll work with different people with different objectives. Tae used a different team and his album is great in spite of the producer he chose putting out garbage music previously (which made me nervous for him as well). Whether we like the music they put out or not, I do trust that they're following their personal compasses.

btw, this is why I push being kind to fans of other groups. All you're going to do is spread hate (and possibly monetize the blue check marks) by replying with hostility, but occasionally you lead someone to give the guys a chance when you're nice

Well, there is that - Ed's already written two really great BTS songs so that one will for sure be good.

@Old Cat Lady the thing with Tae's album is that it's so clearly him. His colour, his style. Even if he didn’t write it, it's still very much something only he could do and make it work, and the producer he worked with was a fellow Korean who clearly got to know his musical personality well. 

But truthfully, I was really looking forward to having an album full of JK the songwriter. I LOVE his R&B, soulful, sweet, thoughtful way with a song. Just for sheer listening pleasure, give me a My Time or a Stay over a 3D or a Dreamers any day.

But I guess JK can always do that stuff later, and he wants to strike while the iron is hot for the pop stuff

31 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Well, the silver lining to that is that hopefully all the songs will be able to get Canadian radio play because they'll meet CanCon rules. 

But yeah. I don't want to catastrophize but I smell too much 🛵

I'm hopeful there will be Can airplay - but Cirkut was also involved with Seven and 3D, so it's not a sure thing.  There seems to be little way of knowing just what part of either song he is responsible for, so who knows.

1 hour ago, Faithyu said:

:10636614:

I wonder if some of the members (like Jimin) look at these shoots and laugh out loud later when they see it.  I know he has a serious side and they all know about posing and photo shoots, but there has to be a level of disbelief from him that anyone ever would think of him as a fashion model.  Same for most of the guys,  Tae, really, is the only one I would think could have seen this in his future.

And the Jelly thing  that I don't like) - an explanation.  I pre-ordered Jimin's doc without it so I don't really know what it's about.  If we don't have to buy their "jelly", why would we?

10 hours ago, barbara said:

I wonder if some of the members (like Jimin) look at these shoots and laugh out loud later when they see it.  I know he has a serious side and they all know about posing and photo shoots, but there has to be a level of disbelief from him that anyone ever would think of him as a fashion model.  Same for most of the guys,  Tae, really, is the only one I would think could have seen this in his future.

And the Jelly thing  that I don't like) - an explanation.  I pre-ordered Jimin's doc without it so I don't really know what it's about.  If we don't have to buy their "jelly", why would we?

So, it looks like it's best to buy the VOD stuff from the Weverse Shop website vs on the phone