General Yuzuru Chat

29 minutes ago, Lilly88 said:

Right, additionally to the sand under the ice, the TCC ice rink is privately owned and only used for figure skating, so there are no boards which are needed for ice hockey. Instead it has mirrors, so they can watch their movements.

I didn't know this! Thanks for the information. The sand must add a slightly cushioning effect, I would guess. Clever idea!

17 hours ago, LiaRy said:

Yuzu seems to be back at TCC (from Corey Circelli's IG stories)

[NEWS]

We all knew that he was going back eventually, but I didn't think it was going to be this soon lol. I got the fright of my life at 4am, but I'm so happy to see him! The idea of him leading the stroking practice is making me more emotional than necessary, and all the posts are so cute. Obviously we can't forget about old man pooh-san reunion!! I hope he's able to spend his time well there. 

49 minutes ago, fenraven said:

I didn't know this! Thanks for the information. The sand must add a slightly cushioning effect, I would guess. Clever idea!

Yes, this is the reason TCC rink is constructed in such a way. There was a post years ago demonstrating the shock reduction when landing a jump on the sand underlay compared with landing on a rink with the standard concrete foundation.

Interestingly the rink builders posted about how rinks are created for shows and the pipes containing the salt water, which can be cooled to below zero degrees centigrade in order to freeze the plain water are laid onto a special base, on top of the floor. This surface looks like it would also absorb some impact other wise there would be a risk of the pipes being damaged. 

10 minutes ago, Perelandra said:

Yes, this is the reason TCC rink is constructed in such a way. There was a post years ago demonstrating the shock reduction when landing a jump on the sand underlay compared with landing on a rink with the standard concrete foundation.

Interestingly the rink builders posted about how rinks are created for shows and the pipes containing the salt water, which can be cooled to below zero degrees centigrade in order to freeze the plain water are laid onto a special base, on top of the floor. This surface looks like it would also absorb some impact other wise there would be a risk of the pipes being damaged. 

I'm afraid I have zero knowledge when it comes to ice rink construction haha but it's so fascinating to read about these processes!! 

1 minute ago, ladyjay said:

I'm afraid I have zero knowledge when it comes to ice rink construction haha but it's so fascinating to read about these processes!! 

The sand base helps to dissipate some of the forces when landing, whereas the concrete transmits the impact forces back to the skeleton. There was an accompanying series of pictures of floor layers and what happens when skater lands a jump, with the article. 

There was a post which contained a time lapse video of the rink building process - waterproof lining, special surface, pipes snaking back and forth, more layers of materials - top layer will sometimes have the logo e.g Olympic rings. Then water being poured in, freezing 4 millimetres at a time until desired thickness reached - few centimetres. It was interesting. ? Might be on youtube ?

3 minutes ago, Perelandra said:

The sand base helps to dissipate some of the forces when landing, whereas the concrete transmits the impact forces back to the skeleton. There was an accompanying series of pictures of floor layers and what happens when skater lands a jump, with the article. 

There was a post which contained a time lapse video of the rink building process - waterproof lining, special surface, pipes snaking back and forth, more layers of materials - top layer will sometimes have the logo e.g Olympic rings. Then water being poured in, freezing 4 millimetres at a time until desired thickness reached - few centimetres. It was interesting. ? Might be on youtube ?

Ohh okay. I'll try and look for that post when I have the time. Thank you so much for explaining it a little bit more!! 

26 minutes ago, ladyjay said:

Ohh okay. I'll try and look for that post when I have the time. Thank you so much for explaining it a little bit more!! 

I think there is a video clip of Brian explained about using  sand as the base for the ice rink for shock absorption. 

16 hours ago, Geo1 said:

Yuzu is still in Toronto. I don’t know how long he’s going to be there, but Brian is looking forward to seeing him on Wednesday. Brian is currently away from the TCC.

@Geo1will tracy and Ghislain Briand also come back and meet Yuzu then? would really love to see a full reunion!

As a couple of you have alluded to, Yuzu's reappearance at TCC has been very emotional for me. That's a bit surprising, since in the interim I've celebrated the fact that he was back in Japan, where he is so thoroughly in his own element. So my reaction was a bit puzzling.

On reflection, I think it goes back to the fact that when the COVID lockdown happened, I was within days of flying to Montreal for Worlds. The sense that, overnight, the world had become more dark and scary was inextricably linked in my nervous system with the cancellation of that event and Yuzu's abrupt return to Japan. The impossibility of seeing Yuzu live since that day has colored by entire outlook. It was a loss I felt keenly.

Obviously, his return to Toronto doesn't signal that the pandemic is over or that we're back to where we were before COVID. It is still with us and, as far as we know, always will be. (Although I've been very struck by the fact that in the images we've seen thus far, he's not wearing a mask within the confines of TCC.) Nevertheless, I have this gut-level sense that after more than three years of holding my breath, I can symbolically exhale. And, crazy as it sounds, having him in the same timezone makes me want to shout and sing!

:nod2:

14 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

As a couple of you have alluded to, Yuzu's reappearance at TCC has been very emotional for me. That's a bit surprising, since in the interim I've celebrated the fact that he was back in Japan, where he is so thoroughly in his own element. So my reaction was a bit puzzling.

On reflection, I think it goes back to the fact that when the COVID lockdown happened, I was within days of flying to Montreal for Worlds. The sense that, overnight, the world had become more dark and scary was inextricably linked in my nervous system with the cancellation of that event and Yuzu's abrupt return to Japan. The impossibility of seeing Yuzu live since that day has colored by entire outlook. It was a loss I felt keenly.

Obviously, his return to Toronto doesn't signal that the pandemic is over or that we're back to where we were before COVID. It is still with us and, as far as we know, always will be. (Although I've been very struck by the fact that in the images we've seen thus far, he's not wearing a mask within the confines of TCC.) Nevertheless, I have this gut-level sense that after more than three years of holding my breath, I can symbolically exhale. And, crazy as it sounds, having him in the same timezone makes me want to shout and sing!

:nod2:

I love how you link this to the pandemic and our feelings about it - I also had tickets for Worlds and such a good feeling about the possibility of him winning another championship - Covid really affected the end of Yuzu's competitive life, and our ability to see him compete....but the world seems just a little brighter now, despite the many many problems that continue....I felt myself breathe out too as I read your post!!