General Yuzuru Chat

Guest BonnieLou

Is it just me or does this Tweet seem to defeat the purpose of standing up for fanyus? How does mentioning other skaters programs or costumes help? Especially of all the Gala performers, singling out Yuzu's two juniors, at that. When I first saw the costume I was distressed for him....the black band between the shirt and shiny blue pants was so unkempt looking. I first thought it was the bottom edge of a poorly sewn shirt. Maybe it was black tights showing from underneath and could have been avoided with black pants in the costume. He is also so young, too, and to criticize him for perhaps mimicing a Yuzu costume.....other young skaters have been praised for doing it and it seems to show their love and respect for him. 

If I can say that I think I have followed Yuzuru enough to know what kind of person he is....I don't think I have seen him be anything but kind and gentle to others, and probably the most to his juniors.

I won't tackle this on Twitter. I am new and still feeling my way around, and felt safe bringing it to discuss here. Although I have declared myself a fanyu by being here, [admin edit: not the place to call out fanyus on other platforms] Just looking for some thoughts on why this got hundreds of positive responses (Likes)?? 

On 3/8/2022 at 7:48 PM, BonnieLou said:

Is it just me or does this Tweet seem to defeat the purpose of standing up for fanyus? How does mentioning other skaters programs or costumes help? Especially of all the Gala performers, singling out Yuzu's two juniors, at that. When I first saw the costume I was distressed for him....the black band between the shirt and shiny blue pants was so unkempt looking. I first thought it was the bottom edge of a poorly sewn shirt. Maybe it was black tights showing from underneath and could have been avoided with black pants in the costume. He is also so young, too, and to criticize him for perhaps mimicing a Yuzu costume.....other young skaters have been praised for doing it and it seems to show their love and respect for him. 

If I can say that I think I have followed Yuzuru enough to know what kind of person he is....I don't think I have seen him be anything but kind and gentle to others, and probably the most to his juniors.

I won't tackle this on Twitter. I am new and still feeling my way around, and felt safe bringing it to discuss here. Although I have declared myself a fanyu by being here, [admin edit: not the place to call out fanyus on other platforms] Just looking for some thoughts on why this got hundreds of positive responses (Likes)?? 

I think they are just annoyed and so their tone is snarky. Why questioning why Yuzu's fans only talk about him and not others? 

Another reason, you can clearly see they (and the people who liked and responded) are not fond of the other two skaters from Team Japan. There are many reasons for their very apparent disdain. If you explore a bit further you will see why. 

Personally I do not have much problem with people being snarky. This is not the worst tweet I have seen. With that being said, everywhere you go, you will see fans who are very intense and I totally understand if you feel uncomfortable with them, esp if you are new. Just ignore those people if they are too much for you :)

I too can be intense, snarky and mean at times so ignore me if that makes you feel easier :)

I won't tackle this on Twitter. I am new and still feeling my way around, and felt safe bringing it to discuss here. Although I have declared myself a fanyu by being here, [admin edit: not the place to call out fanyus on other platforms]  Just looking for some thoughts on why this got hundreds of positive responses (Likes)?? 

I cannot argue for twitter excessive use of snarkiness, because it gets tiring if you don't share the humor, but there are many reasons why a full third of the fandom behaves this way on the platform.

will put some theories hidden. 

Spoiler

1. Built up frustration. ISU injustice, Japanese federation playing favorites, US media being demeaning... Is like, 4 (more really) years of this, so fans are short-tempered, angry.

2. Short temper is triggered by antis and irrational demands, like the ones this op mentions. Sport fans DO NOT support every competitor, is insane to demand so. 

3. Fans who engage in this are younger, they have time talk abt it. 

4. Fan culture - people will blame Kpop, but this is older; lots of time and financial resources are poured into supporting Yuzu, last thing they want is someone else telling them they should dedicate a fraction of this for people they don't care abt. And someone else refers here to skating fans and federations. Short temper. 

5. Reactive behaviour because of history of fighting antis and dealing with post Olys bots. 

I don't like twitter drama and how some accs insist in participating in it, so I mute people like OP sometimes. But there has been a lot, A LOT, of provocation recently against fanyus, so navigating it during this period has been hard and it might get worse on the aftermath of Worlds. Good luck on twitter, it can be fun, it's manageable, but there's caution to be exercised. 

from the article:

"The landing was called under-rotated, and we peg the under-rotation at one-third rotation, for a total of 3.92 rotations in the air. We also put the jump at 0.75 seconds in the air, for an average rotation rate of 5.2 rotations per second, and we put the peak rotation rate at 5.5 rotations per second."

"Taken together, a jump with Hanyu's rotation rate and 0.80 seconds in the air would be considered fully rotated by ISU rules, and a jump with Hanyu's time in the air and 6 rotations per second would also achieve full rotation."

"So what is it that kept this attempt from being successful? The answer is pretty much the same as it was for the attempt at Japanese Nationals - air position. At left we show Hanyu's air position two rotations into the jump. The arms are too far from the torso and the legs are bent and too open. This was true for over half the time in the air. These defects in position eat up the top end of rotation rate needed to fully rotate the jump."

"Most triples and even some of the quads do not require perfect air position for the entire time in the air to be successful, but the quad Axel does. Our modeling is that had this attempt hit the perfect air position within the first rotation of the jump, the attempt would have had sufficiently greater rotation rate to have been successful."

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
10 minutes ago, eren said:

from the article:

"The landing was called under-rotated, and we peg the under-rotation at one-third rotation, for a total of 3.92 rotations in the air. We also put the jump at 0.75 seconds in the air, for an average rotation rate of 5.2 rotations per second, and we put the peak rotation rate at 5.5 rotations per second."

"Taken together, a jump with Hanyu's rotation rate and 0.80 seconds in the air would be considered fully rotated by ISU rules, and a jump with Hanyu's time in the air and 6 rotations per second would also achieve full rotation."

"So what is it that kept this attempt from being successful? The answer is pretty much the same as it was for the attempt at Japanese Nationals - air position. At left we show Hanyu's air position two rotations into the jump. The arms are too far from the torso and the legs are bent and too open. This was true for over half the time in the air. These defects in position eat up the top end of rotation rate needed to fully rotate the jump."

"Most triples and even some of the quads do not require perfect air position for the entire time in the air to be successful, but the quad Axel does. Our modeling is that had this attempt hit the perfect air position within the first rotation of the jump, the attempt would have had sufficiently greater rotation rate to have been successful."

Interesting. This kind supports me in my belief that Yuzu (out of all the senior men) might be the only one to achieve it. Is air positioning something you can discuss per Zoom chat?  He  came very very close, but maybe a tiny bit of in person advice will help to land it fully rotated.

(That said, it annoys me how Yuzu is always held to the standard of his best performances, but others are given the pass with “balletic ankles” or wacky landings. But then again, this is what makes him the best.)

Guest Mary_kyo

Many experts believe that Yuzuru is very far from a clean quad axel. How can he still do this jump?

Irina Slutskaya: I think if they “steal” some more rotation during take off, the jump can be done. Hanyu is unique, he is quite tall, light and physically strong. I would like him to succeed.

Are quintuple jumps possible?

Irina Slutskaya: I don’t know, I won’t answer. If the boys learn to jump with pre-rotation, when half or even three-quarters of the turn is done on the ice, then in principle the strength costs will be the same as for the quadruple jump.

Prerotation – is it fair at all?

Irina Slutskaya: Fair or not, such is the technique now. If you don’t do that, then you won’t fully rotate the jump. But this requires enormous strength. If you know how to twist yourself at the beginning of the jump – you will succeed. While the judges pretend that everyone does not see it and this is not a mistake, why not.

cr: https://fs-gossips.com/irina-slutskaya-fair-or-not-such-is-the-technique-now-while-the-judges-pretend-that-everyone-doesnt-see-prerotations-and-this-is-not-a-mistake-why-not/ 

RIP Figure Skating~~~~~

I won't tackle this on Twitter. I am new and still feeling my way around, and felt safe bringing it to discuss here. Although I have declared myself a fanyu by being here, [admin edit: not the place to call out fanyus on other platforms]  Just looking for some thoughts on why this got hundreds of positive responses (Likes)?? 

I think OP is being mean on purpose to respond to some non-sense complaints. The first sentence pointed out that there are comments under the Gala video accusing people being disrespectful to other skaters by only talking about Yuzuru. Those accusations are so laughable, like who are they to teach people what they should and should not comment? Does praising Yuzu hurt anyone? What do they expect fanyus to comment on other skaters? And OP gave an example of what she might say if she is forced to comment about other skaters. The example is mean but I assume it is exaggerated for dramatic effect and she speaks in a hypothetical circumstance. 

Yuzuru is an angel. He praises and encourages all his juniors, seniors, competitors, literally everyone. But fans are not from Planet Hanyu and fans get angry sometimes when facing strange accusations. I don't think Yuma's program is trying to "replace" Yuzu by imitating his costume, at the same time I don't think it is "showing love and respect for him" either. In the end what I get from OP is just "don't teach, it may not look good if we follow your request to also comment on others". 

Guest Mary_kyo

In his interview, Ghislain has also said that Yuzu's 4A in Beijing was 4Aq. (Thank you man)

and that he got Yuzu's consent to do the interview. He also has talked about the technical difficulty of 4A and very painful impact on the falls.  

Ghislain Briand Exclusive Interview (1)

Source:

https://weibo.com/1847395131/LiWsW612b

● First of all, I would like to hear your thoughts on Hanyu's SP. Did you watch the live broadcast?

I always watch yuzu's games live. I like the adrenaline rush. I feel like I'm on the scene. That 4S is really shocking. Just a few days before SP, yuzu sent it to me the video of him practicing the show and everything seems to be going very well. And in fact, I think the S-jump is better than before.

After SP, I texted him. Yes, since the epidemic, we have all been connected by text messages. I haven't seen him in two years. Then when talking about SP he sent me a photo saying "it got stuck in a hole in the ice" and I replied "ah I see".

But after that, I got two videos from the person in charge of the video management of the Chinese organizer through an acquaintance. One is the 4S of Yuzu’s SP in Beijing Olympics, and the other is the 4S of Yuzu in other games. Both videos were shot from almost the same angle. After comparison, it can be seen that when the Olympic 4S takes off, Yuzu's legs were slightly, really only slightly slower than the upper body movements. Yuzu is like a well-tuned F1 car. He knows his body well and is very sensitive to all parts. So as long as there is a slight deviation, it will have a big impact. I looked at the photo yuzu sent me again, confirmed the location of the hole where he said he got stuck when he jumped, and then watched the video again, and it was exactly where the foot decelerated.

"It's a pity," I said. Because this is the equivalent of missing out on winning the Olympics. What a big mistake this is. But I added, "It's useless to get mad. Just like the outdoor jump competition, the first jump was very good, and when you were preparing for the next jump, a gust of wind suddenly blew, and the shaft shook and it failed. Even so, do you want to file a lawsuit against nature?" I asked him back.

It was a pity that the hole appeared in the ice, but there was no way. This happened to him twice, the first time was in Japan and the second time was this Olympics. But Yuzu's usual practice is that no matter what happens, he will not stop halfway, and will continue to skate to the end. So I'm not at all surprised that he was able to continue skating after his mistake this time. This is the proof that he is a very good athlete, a good skater.

Actually, it's really a pity. If the 4S is successful, the score should be almost the same as Nathan’s. 13 points, if you add it, you can go for the first place.

● What advice did you give Hanyu when he practiced and explored 4A by himself?

The challenge of 4A, this process has been going on for many years. But we have not been able to focus 100% on 4A, and yuzu only tries to jump occasionally. There was a period of time he focused more on 4lz, and when lz succeeded in the competition, he returned to 4A practice.

To be honest, this year, I hope more strongly for him to be successful in 4A than for him to win the Olympics. He said "I've already won two Olympic golds, so it's not the ‘first’ to win again. But if the 4A is successful, it’ll be the ‘first in history’, right? So I want to focus on that.”

Everyone knows that Yuzu took 4A as a research topic when he was in college. He really did a lot of research on this jump. Personally, I take the axis of rotation as the focus of jumping, and attach great importance to the position of the hands, feet and waist when taking off. So when yuzu was trying 4A, I told him that these are the important points that you have to accomplish.

Still can't believe it, he's amazing. He did almost everything by himself. Since the beginning of the epidemic, online teaching has been used. Although there are advantages, it is still very different from direct face-to-face teaching. It might be strange to say that, but for me, "I like the feeling of being able to touch it" (laughs). I usually teach it hand-in-hand:wrists should be like this…waist should be here…and feet should be here… This communicates to the players what I want them to do. But when yuzu challenged the most difficult 4A of all jumps, everything we had to do was only online. "

Hace 4 horas, Xiupia said:

I cannot argue for twitter excessive use of snarkiness, because it gets tiring if you don't share the humor, but there are many reasons why a full third of the fandom behaves this way on the platform.

will put some theories hidden. 

Hide contents

1. Built up frustration. ISU injustice, Japanese federation playing favorites, US media being demeaning... Is like, 4 (more really) years of this, so fans are short-tempered, angry.

2. Short temper is triggered by antis and irrational demands, like the ones this op mentions. Sport fans DO NOT support every competitor, is insane to demand so. 

3. Fans who engage in this are younger, they have time talk abt it. 

4. Fan culture - people will blame Kpop, but this is older; lots of time and financial resources are poured into supporting Yuzu, last thing they want is someone else telling them they should dedicate a fraction of this for people they don't care abt. And someone else refers here to skating fans and federations. Short temper. 

5. Reactive behaviour because of history of fighting antis and dealing with post Olys bots. 

I don't like twitter drama and how some accs insist in participating in it, so I mute people like OP sometimes. But there has been a lot, A LOT, of provocation recently against fanyus, so navigating it during this period has been hard and it might get worse on the aftermath of Worlds. Good luck on twitter, it can be fun, it's manageable, but there's caution to be exercised. 

Sometimes it's better to mute (or even block) some accounts, for our own peace of mind.

Twitter can get wild at times, and it's not good. Sometimes, when you find some particularly nasty tweets from antis, one feels the need to answer them properly, but I guess it's better not to give them fuel.

7 hours ago, Melodie said:

everywhere you go, you will see fans who are very intense and I totally understand if you feel uncomfortable with them, esp if you are new.

6 hours ago, Xiupia said:

2 hours ago, JanMary said:

I think OP is being mean on purpose to respond to some non-sense complaints. The first sentence pointed out that there are comments under the Gala video accusing people being disrespectful to other skaters by only talking about Yuzuru. 

(...)

Yuzuru is an angel. He praises and encourages all his juniors, seniors, competitors, literally everyone. But fans are not from Planet Hanyu and fans get angry sometimes when facing strange accusations. I don't think Yuma's program is trying to "replace" Yuzu by imitating his costume, at the same time I don't think it is "showing love and respect for him" either. In the end what I get from OP is just "don't teach, it may not look good if we follow your request to also comment on others". 

Thank you so much for these comments - these are important for persons like me who learned about the existence of Yuzuru Hanyu less than a month ago and perhaps need some more background information. 

Part of what I've been doing since then is catching up, watching and rewatching his performances, and this is when I sometimes forget how to breathe, but the other part is about studying, researching, getting some understanding about the situation with ISU and unfair scoring. I get my information here and on Twitter I follow the users @roselinewinte10, @lunnarias and @Henni147 who are doing excellent, informed analysis and evidence-based argumentation. 

We could all find our place on the platform depending on our resources, capabilities, whether we're better at conveying emotional messages or using sarcasm and humor, or studying, researching, analyzing and presenting objective information and facts. I would probably ally with the latter crowd, but need to study before I even know how to ask proper questions. 

Thank you, again!