General Yuzuru Chat

2 minutes ago, Geo1 said:

This is from the same Figure Skating Life magazine article. It is not a message from Ghislain to Yuzu. It is simply his honest assessment, opinion and feelings about Yuzu.

Wow, I totally agree with what he says, it is hard to see such honesty in today's FS world

36 minutes ago, cereus said:

Message from Ghislain to Yuzu. OP didn't provide source so unsure of its authenticity or where it's from, although context suggests it's from the same article as the interview.

Keeping the fire in his heart burning is not easy if judges keep dousing water on him. 

But I think he is starting not to care about scoring so he may find motivation somewhere. 

1 minute ago, yumeaki said:

Keeping the fire in his heart burning is not easy if judges keep dousing water on him. 

But I think he is starting not to care about scoring so he may find motivation somewhere. 

Call me crazy but if we see Yuzu doing quintuples (legit ones) after he’s figured out how to land after 4.5 rotations I wouldn’t be surprised 

On 3/9/2022 at 6:48 AM, BonnieLou said:

Is it just me or does this Tweet seem to defeat the purpose of standing up for fanyus? How does mentioning other skaters programs or costumes help? Especially of all the Gala performers, singling out Yuzu's two juniors, at that. When I first saw the costume I was distressed for him....the black band between the shirt and shiny blue pants was so unkempt looking. I first thought it was the bottom edge of a poorly sewn shirt. Maybe it was black tights showing from underneath and could have been avoided with black pants in the costume. He is also so young, too, and to criticize him for perhaps mimicing a Yuzu costume.....other young skaters have been praised for doing it and it seems to show their love and respect for him. 

If I can say that I think I have followed Yuzuru enough to know what kind of person he is....I don't think I have seen him be anything but kind and gentle to others, and probably the most to his juniors.

I won't tackle this on Twitter. I am new and still feeling my way around, and felt safe bringing it to discuss here. Although I have declared myself a fanyu by being here, I have also seen and heard that some fanyus can be formidable when crossed. Just looking for some thoughts on why this got hundreds of positive responses (Likes)?? 

I totally agree with you. This circle of hate and disrespect between fanyus and general fs fans has been so unnecessary imo. Fanyus defending themselves this way only increases the hate towards us. Why should we respond to every single thing said about us, especially like some random person under a YouTube video. Tweeting about these things just brings about avoidable drama. Many comments I see on twitter are just blatantly hateful with rude mocking names. It’s very childish, and I think we should move on from this type of behavior. 

As the costume of Yuma at the Olympic gala is on the topic, just for your information.

His costume of the gala was designed by a designer who was in charge of the costume of MISIA (the singer of the gala program), who was also the National anthem singer in the opening of Tokyo Olympics.

The Opening of Tokyo Olympics was unpopular even in Japan, or I would say especially among Japanese.  The choreo was also done by the person who was in charge of the same opening (he is not familiar with figure skating choreos, and Akiko Suzuki helped the arrangement).

So, I feel there might be some kind of politics, in relation to the ad agency or something.

Seeing MISIA's dress at the Olympic opening, I don't think Yuma's costume was imitating Yuzuru's. It's just the designer's characteristics.

https://www.vogue.co.jp/fashion/article/tokyo-olympic-tomokoizumi-dress-interview

And after all, Yuma's gala program was disfavored by figure skating fans including me.

I'm afraid when designers who are famous but not well aware of figure skating are involved in the figure skating costumes, It often comes to devastation :drama:

Takahito Mura 2015-2016 (by KOSHINO Yuma)

https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/goldenice/936823.html

Miki Ando at Torino Olympics (by WADA Emi)

https://twitter.com/sweet_summer_9/status/1129917076011798528

35 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

As the costume of Yuma at the Olympic gala is on the topic, just for your information.

His costume of the gala was designed by a designer who was in charge of the costume of MISIA (the singer of the gala program), who was also the National anthem singer in the opening of Tokyo Olympics.

The Opening of Tokyo Olympics was unpopular even in Japan, or I would say especially among Japanese.  The choreo was also done by the person who was in charge of the same opening (he is not familiar with figure skating choreos, and Akiko Suzuki helped the arrangement).

So, I feel there might be some kind of politics, in relation to the ad agency or something.

Seeing MISIA's dress at the Olympic opening, I don't think Yuma's costume was imitating Yuzuru's. It's just the designer's characteristics.

https://www.vogue.co.jp/fashion/article/tokyo-olympic-tomokoizumi-dress-interview

And after all, Yuma's gala program was disfavored by figure skating fans including me.

I'm afraid when designers who are famous but not well aware of figure skating are involved in the figure skating costumes, It often comes to devastation :drama:

Takahito Mura 2015-2016 (by KOSHINO Yuma)

https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/goldenice/936823.html

Miki Ando at Torino Olympics (by WADA Emi)

https://twitter.com/sweet_summer_9/status/1129917076011798528

Even if it is not inspired by Yuzu's costume, you can't help but drawing comparisons since the similarities are there, yes? Also, yes to the political part. I feel that too. But I'm going to stop here since we are off topic already LOL 

Guest Mary_kyo

Yes, Ghislain! I'm glad to know he is also in the “Yuzu should never retire” team! Truly, I think Yuzu can very well continue till late 30s. I have added all his gala practice videos in Beijing in one folder and play them during work from time to time and still get amazed at how he has improved and how he has much better control and flow even compared to 2017/2018. I can’t imagine how more amazing he will turn out to be in the next 4-8 years. We are blessed to watch him any single time he puts his blades on the ice. His health is number one priority though so I hope while aiming for the stars, he takes care of his body too.

It's just sad to see how this precious rare talent isn't treated fair by almost everyone in the community. They all could try to ease out his career and benefit from all the money and exposure he brings to all of them. But nope, these petty jealous creatures throw all possible stones and mud to him to force him to retire when he hasn't even reached his peak. I'm still baffled by the USA team recording tribute to him even before the start of Beijing. sigh. 

Guest Mary_kyo
39 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

oh, this was super interesting to read. thank you! Investing that much time, energy and money for a gala performance of a young skater. hmmmm.

1 hour ago, AshAvoca said:

Many comments I see on twitter are just blatantly hateful with rude mocking names. It’s very childish, and I think we should move on from this type of behavior. 

"We" (people on this forum) are most likely NOT those who you see on twitter "blatantly hateful with rude mocking names", so "we" are not going to "move on" from anything. Don't you think it's better to tell those people directly instead of acting as if fanyus are all the same on this forum? We are individuals and not in control of other fanyus. 

PS for admin, if this is off topic, please feel free to move/remove my comment, thanks.

32 minutes ago, Mary_kyo said:

Yes, Ghislain! I'm glad to know he is also in the “Yuzu should never retire” team! Truly, I think Yuzu can very well continue till late 30s. I have added all his gala practice videos in Beijing in one folder and play them during work from time to time and still get amazed at how he has improved and how he has much better control and flow even compared to 2017/2018. I can’t imagine how more amazing he will turn out to be in the next 4-8 years. We are blessed to watch him any single time he puts his blades on the ice. His health is number one priority though so I hope while aiming for the stars, he takes care of his body too.

It's just sad to see how this precious rare talent isn't treated fair by almost everyone in the community. They all could try to ease out his career and benefit from all the money and exposure he brings to all of them. But nope, these petty jealous creatures throw all possible stones and mud to him to force him to retire when he hasn't even reached his peak. I'm still baffled by the USA team recording tribute to him even before the start of Beijing. sigh. 

Look, as someone who is aiming to be successful in a sport where long careers are cherished and one hit wonders are kind of frowned upon (tennis) i cannot stress HOW SHOCKED I am by the mistreatment of the sport’s biggest star.WHY ?! Push out the athlete that gains the most attention by fans and non-fans alike? The most prominent face? I don’t get it.
Even people with questionable opinions (for example Djokovic) or controversial players like Medvedev are treated better than Yuzu by JSF or ISU.Other sports governing try everything to make sure their top stars are accommodated properly and can perform at the top for the longest time possible. I just don’t understand who in their right mind thinks that this is the right way to make skating more popular -

Guest Mary_kyo
25 minutes ago, Dominique said:

Look, as someone who is aiming to be successful in a sport where long careers are cherished and one hit wonders are kind of frowned upon (tennis) i cannot stress HOW SHOCKED I am by the mistreatment of the sport’s biggest star.WHY ?! Push out the athlete that gains the most attention by fans and non-fans alike? The most prominent face? I don’t get it.
Even people with questionable opinions (for example Djokovic) or controversial players like Medvedev are treated better than Yuzu by JSF or ISU.Other sports governing try everything to make sure their top stars are accommodated properly and can perform at the top for the longest time possible. I just don’t understand who in their right mind thinks that this is the right way to make skating more popular -

Oh my god, yes, tennis, a great example! So different from FS. I feel westerners especially north Americans do not like to acknowledge Yuzu mostly with hidden racism reasons: he is "Japanese". For people like Scott Hamilton, the idea of GOAT being Japanese is absurd, not acceptable. Another reason that some of them are against him is rooted in the homophobia and misogynist. This thread is very eye-opening about why Nathan is appreciated by a lot of these officials despite lack of star and skating quality.

But no words on JSF though. Only idiocy can justify their petty behaviors.  

7 hours ago, Chitsuki said:

Just a bit of context for you since you mentioned you are a new fanyu. (Welcome!) Fans of other skaters will criticize Yuzu or fanyu behaviour, even when that "behaviour" is technical, such as pointing out other skaters' tech issues, but when fanyus stand up for Yuzu or for themselves, they are often hit back with "Yuzuru is so nice to everyone; he would be ashamed of your behaviour." 

7 hours ago, CiONTUw4A said:

FS is a sport and no fans are required to treat each skater equally or scream for everyone in a competition. (Booing and defamation are bad behavior, of course.) But it is the judges' obligation to score every competitor fairly. If someone has an issue when certain skaters receive more love from the audience than others, he/she is in the wrong fandom.  

6 hours ago, Chitsuki said:

Exactly. Fans of other sports will literally laugh in our faces with how carefully fanyus tread when talking about FS. But even so, no matter how reasonable, as soon as a non-fan finds out we are fanyus, it's tossed aside as "those delusional fanyus again".

Thank you!

Exactly, fans may not be even mocking or calling names, still the other fandoms get "offended" if presented with facts or detailed analyses. This often happens when people do not want to accept information that is not in line with their biased viewpoint. 

One indisputable fact is that Yuzuru Hanyu simply draws more and more people to him (this is quantifiable), hence more people commenting - also offensive?

Other fandoms or fs community may be even more puzzled this has been happening during and after Beijing, where he didn't win, because one could explain that at least the last time his fandom grew cause he became this magnificent legend winning his second OG title.

And yet, this is happening again and again, and especially now. Multiple stories like mine everywhere - ppl declaring they didn't know his name, nothing about the hype, nothing about fs, watching something random on tv until they saw him on the screen and when he started skating got immediately drawn and the world stopped for a moment and yes, I watched that competition until the end on 10 Feb.