General Yuzuru Chat

Russian Channel 1 showed Alina’s vlog from Beijing. In the episode from men’s SP she said “Now we will see the GOAT. I’m nervous”. And then they showed Yuzu’s 4T-3T from Roncapu. Very surprising, Russian media usually prefers N over Yuzu

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
30 минут назад, CiONTUw4A сказал:

Well .. Yagudin is a disgrace to Russian skating in general. He crossed out his entire heritage with his behavior, as a commentator and a person. And about Plushenko, my opinion is that he would never understand Yuzu’s desire not for a medal, but for a dream. He himself aspired only to medals

2 minutes ago, Anabel said:

Sorry, my English is not very good, so I'm not sure what that it means. He won't go to the World's? Is it official? 

Thanks 

Nothing is official, only speculations at this point.

Actually, since they already postponed Junior Worlds I wonder if Worlds even happen this year.

This is just my personal observation and opinion on why JSF "hates" Yuzu, a lot of ink has already been spilled by a lot of people here but I think I could still add (or at least reiterate) a few points here...

Spoiler

JSF bigwigs in the 2010s (and up to this day, really) come mostly from the Kansai region, as did most prominent Japanese skaters in the late 2000s to 2010s (...well, a little more from Nagoya (Chūbu) than Kansai actually, but politically speaking within JSF the Chūbu region is aligned with Kansai). Before that, the most prominent skater is Midori Ito, and she came from Nagoya (yes, Takeshi Honda is from Fukushima prefecture (located in the same region (Tōhoku) as Yuzu's prefecture of origin), and Shizuka Arakawa is from Sendai, but these two are exceptions to the rule).

(...and even further back in time from that?? Minoru Sano, the first Japanese skater to gain international prominence (first Japanese Worlds medallist (bronze)) is from Tokyo (Kantō region). A long time had passed since Sano sensei's win though, so the officials from Kantō in JSF (if there were any) didn't exactly have any influence on the organization the way the current JSF bigwigs do.)

So you wonder, why did I mention the regions of the people mentioned here?

If you have a passing familiarity with Japanese history you'd know that for most of its history, places within Kansai region (eg. Kyoto) grew to be the center of culture (...and civilization in general, really) in Japan (think from around the 11th century onwards). Kantō caught up later though, and from Meiji restoration (starting from late 1850s) onwards the center of *civilization* in Japan shifted from Kansai region to Kantō.

What about Tōhoku, you ask? Well, during all this time, Tōhoku region was known to be a region that developed last, after Kansai, then Kantō (though in some minds, developed last is synonymous with least developed). It also had the reputation of being totally country and "backwards" compared to the rest of Japan (I mean yes, Sendai is urbanized but the rest of the region?? Totally country). All this to say that yes, this is one of the reason why people outside Tōhoku region (but especially those from Kansai) tend to look down on the region (and its people).

So during the late 00s to early 10s, everything went swimmingly for the JSF bigwigs, Mao was on her ascent, the men skaters also started to look up too (and most of all, since they came from the same region as them bigwigs, they could ask these skaters to do as they please if needed be). Vancouver 2010 rolled around, Mao won silver and Daisuke Takahashi won bronze...

...and then came Worlds 2012.

You know how it went — at first Yuzu was just a surprise Worlds medallist, and initially the bigwigs paid him no mind. But then Yuzu started to do better, and when Sochi rolled around he along with Dai and Tatsuki Machida (these latter two both come from Kansai, FYI) went to the Olympics. Against everyone's expectation (but especially the bigwigs) Yuzu won gold here, and people started seeing him as someone to be reckoned with.

People have mentioned how Yuzu is someone who has his own mind, his own way. This was all fine and dandy, if he came from their own region (so that, at least they could sway him on some matters, at least), but no, Yuzu comes from a region outside their influence, and so they couldn't ask him to do as they please whatsoever (Added to this is their jealousy, looking at how Yuzu performed leaps and bounds better than the men skaters they cultivated on their own).

And to top it all off, Yuzu turns out to be such a model citizen (ie. he, someone from Tōhoku, *does* being Japanese better than the men coming from the (purported) center of Japanese civilization(!)). Now, to give credit where it's due, Dai strove to showcase Japanese culture and art through his skating as well (and beyond that, through his own shows, especially in those in which he collaborated with kabuki(?) performers...). But was it as impactful as Yuzu's Seimei?

(Not to mention his off-ice incidents (his hijinks with Hashimoto after Sochi, and then the most recent one where he was invited to a sleazy TV show (in which he had to choose which women skater's legs appealed the most to him, and all the skaters turned out to be minor...), it did put a dent to his reputation, so for the bigwigs to insist on "using" him as an (exemplary) Japanese representative is a bit stubborn and misguided, tbh)

This all fuels the bigwigs' resentment on Yuzu, and from Sochi on whenever it was possible, JSF just wouldn't give Yuzu support where he might have needed it. (Anyhow you know how it went, I don't need to repeat it in detail here...)

So I hope it's a bit clearer now why JSF hates Yuzu — regional resentment and jealousy.

As a little closing, before comparing him to Lord Uesugi Kenshin, we compared Yuzu to Date Masamune, famed lord from Sendai. Date was almost successful in his attempt to unify Japan — I want Yuzu to be more glorious than Date — I want him to achieve his current goal (landed, ratified 4A) and prevail against JSF. How exactly he'd do the latter, I don't know, but you best believe I'll support him in attempting that along the way! :fire:

(welp, apologies, this was ramblier than I thought. I hope it's still clear enough though 🙈)

Just now, airi said:

Actually, since they already postponed Junior Worlds I wonder if Worlds even happen this year.

Oh, ok, thanks a lot... I have mixed feelings about the World's... Selfishly, this is probably the unique oportunuty  that I'll have to see Yuzu in live, but also I really want to Yuzu taking care of himself, especially after what happened on the Olympics... 

7 hours ago, Melodie said:

The press battle for a spot to interview Yuzu seems super intense lol. Now we know those reporters flocking in the mixed zone are just a fraction of the real number. 

surprise I’m the guy in purple on the left 

7 hours ago, CiONTUw4A said:

The timing of this reeks of a slap to the face. They arent being subtle anymore on trying to show Yuzuru the door...wtf...can they be less pathetic? They realize when he goes, so too do a lot of their revenue...

14 minutes ago, Anabel said:

Oh, ok, thanks a lot... I have mixed feelings about the World's... Selfishly, this is probably the unique oportunuty  that I'll have to see Yuzu in live, but also I really want to Yuzu taking care of himself, especially after what happened on the Olympics... 

NC also said he might go to Worlds he is unsure. So if NC goes, I probably won't watch worlds as the result will be obvious. I don't think Yuzu will go because he said he spilled everything here and that he is unsure about challenging 4A again when Shuzuo San asked him. Also Yuzu is injured and has little time to practice because of injury.

47 minutes ago, Mary_kyo said:

They are planning to give him all these letters as surprise in gala. How they want to do this? Letter rain instead of Pooh rain? what a weird idea lol

Umm For once I don't believe they will, it would only  put light on him and not on you know who... But if the gala is separated from ISU (I mean organisers do the gala and not ISU) maybe it's true. But I won't believe it until I see it.

And if they're making a pooh rain like you suggested (I know it's a joke) I hope they will force the other skaters to pick them up  as flowers kid do in competition. It would be good to watch! :hihi:

27 minutes ago, airi said:

Most probably if you know who doesn't go to Worlds this year I think they will be more than glad to postpone it if there is a chance for Yuzu to go...

Edit: Too many mistakes :1:Why I don't reread before posting but after??

33 minutes ago, Nataliya05 said:

Well .. Yagudin is a disgrace to Russian skating in general. He crossed out his entire heritage with his behavior, as a commentator and a person. And about Plushenko, my opinion is that he would never understand Yuzu’s desire not for a medal, but for a dream. He himself aspired only to medals

Of course Yagudin doesn’t understand. That’s why he was just one of many OGM, a footnote in figure skating while Yuzu is writing history.

4 minutes ago, Harutolama said:

NC also said he might go to Worlds he is unsure. So if NC goes, I probably won't watch worlds as the result will be obvious. I don't think Yuzu will go because he said he spilled everything here and that he is unsure about challenging 4A again when Shuzuo San asked him. Also Yuzu is injured and has little time to practice because of injury.

I think it would be more to do with the injury. He seemed a bit perkier after hearing the 4A was certified, so I cant see him as wanting less than landing it, but the injury is probably what would keep him back from the comp. Then again, he shocked in Korea so...who can say? Lol

3 hours ago, kay said:

I brace myself for months of total silence from Yuzu and pray for her health.

I have tickets for montpellier, I will try to go there (if the covid protection measures allow it) whatever its attendance. I want to express it in words, even for myself:

Yuzuru, at this point, you don't owe anyone but yourself. I love you despite everything, and I only hope to witness things that you want to share with the world after this group of Olympiads. I will keep you in my thoughts even if you never show your face in public again. your work has left such an impact on me. got me out of the darkest times. 

I also think so after having given EVERYTHING for all his fans (well the rest!?) that he rests and for Montpellier, for the moment in France if you follow the health directives on French soil (I don't know of where you come from) it will be OK and support him fully at the worlds and you will do it among SO many other fanyus and you are like me (and surely a lot of others on this planet) Mr HANYU SAN will remain in our memories forever and also within the walls of the TCC, because YES by all that he brings us he has helped a lot of people and I repeat RESPECT  :headdesk:for him and if he goes to the Olympics gala let him do an awesome LMEY with a smile a little "sarcastic" and I just read with HORROR that JSF hates Yuzu :gaah:(I don't have twitter and it's through you that I saw it and I'm going to go up the list of you writings to try to find out more??) : are they "crazy" or what? ( and I don't want to write rudeness ) because I have a lot in :smiley-whacky115: mind

About JSF. Putting it in spoiler because it is long and it will always be only speculations. 

Spoiler

Politics is always complicated, so it is not like there is one simple clear reason that can be explained in one sentence. While none of us knows or will ever know the whole truth, it is not that difficult to conclude some possible reasons which may have played some role to varying extent at different times and it has been discussed many times on various platforms. In general, the more you google the more you find out...

1. Regional politics: 

As others have already mentioned, the fact that Yuzu was born in, grew up and continues to live and train in Sendai - a region without much figure skating relevance with the exception of Shizuka Arakawa - certainly plays some role. Absolute majority of influential coaches, elite skaters, even judges all have some connections with either Nagoya or Osaka. 

• Skaters who at some point trained in Nagoya: Midori Ito, Yuka Sato, Miki Ando, Fumie Suguri, Mao Asada, Akiko Suzuki, Kanako Murakami, Mako Yamashita, Rino Matsuike, Yura Matsuda, Yuhana Yokoi, Rin Nitaya, Takahiko Kozuka, Shoma Uno, Ryuju Hino, Sota Yamamoto, Takahito Mura... Yuma Kagiyama trains in Yokohama but his dad - a former Olympic level skater - is from Nagoya. Edit: Seems like Yuma recently moved his training base from Yokohama to Nagoya. 
  • Skaters who trained in Osaka/Kansai at some point: Satoko Miyahara, Rika Kihira, Marin Honda, Yuna Shiraiwa, Mana Kawabe, Daisuke Takahashi, Nobunari Oda, Tatsuki Matchida, Keiji Tanaka, Kazuki Tomono, Kaori Sakamoto, Mai Mihara...

But for example, Mao trained in Nagoya at some point before she moved overseas and yet she was not treated particularly well so it is not this simple.

But it is not too hard to imagine that the fact that Yuzu has became more successful than any other skater from Nagoya or Osaka ever had, did not make them particularly excited. An outsider was beating all of their owns and achieving accolades none of their own ever managed. Yuzu made it VERY big at a VERY young age and has managed to maintain it for a VERY long time.

2. Made in Japan

Purely a speculation, but a lot of Japanese skaters moved their training base abroad at some point and many of those achieved their biggest success while being coached by foreign coaches: Mao, Miki, Shizuka, Takeshi, Shoma, Nobunari, Daisuke, Fumie(?). And of course, Yuzu. So maybe JSF would like to finally have their own Made in Japan skater and that is why they support Yuma so so so much? 

3. Seiko Hashimoto

Seiko Hashimoto, a former JSF president until 2018, a very powerful woman with many connections, was a huge Takahashi fan. One would say, too huge for an active JSF official. You have probably heard about that incident when she was drunk and tried to kiss Daisuke, right? https://newsbeezer.com/koreaeng/tokyo-olympics-forced-kiss-mens-wife-is-new-chairman/ Besides, there is a political history involving her and Noriko Shirota, see 4). 

There were also many rumors around Sochi about how she treated Yuzu. She allegedly yelled at Yuzu after his short program. She allegedly told him not to wear his gold medal at the airport upon returning to Japan, since he was the only medalist. Allegedly Brian wanted Yuzu's mom to get accreditations but it was denied. And many more incidents. 

4. Noriko Shirota

a) Shirota's career

She was an ISU referee and judge, worked as the minister of the Reinforcement Group of JSF and her job was to support and scout new talents. She was also a JSF executive committee member but around 2005, JSF was accused of a fraud and it was a big scandal. Although there was never any proof that Shirota herself was involved (otoh, there was a proof that Katsuichiro Hisagana, a former JSF president who quit his job in 2004, was involved), she resigned together with some other JSF officials, including acting JSF president Mitsuzo Fujimori. After that, Seiko Hashimoto who was also a member of the House of Councilors, became the JSF president and new executive committee members were selected from her party. Hashimoto was JSF president until 2018. www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2006/06/16/more-sports/Hashimoto-in-line-to-leadd-jsf

b) Shirota's role in Yuzu's career

Shirota played an important role in Yuzuru’s career. I recommend you to read this: https://planethanyu.com/topic/639-booktranslationthe-road-to-olympic-gold-by-noriko-shirota/?tab=comments#comment-207074 She first saw Yuzuru at an JSF annual development camp in 2004 and since then she had been closely watching his development and giving his coach/parents consultations of all kinds, such as costumes, ice shows, she was involved in choosing his music in 2011 and asked Bobrin & Bestemianova to help him. She was involved in his coaching change in 2012. She helped him get scholarship from JOC (instead of from JSF) for his training abroad. Later in 2016 she joined Yuzu’s ANA team, her role was Yuzu's advisor while he was in Japan. From that time until Pyeongchang, she accompanied Yuzuru in all his competitions. And it was her who talked him from repeating Let’s go crazy for the Olympic season and advised him to do a classical piece instead. She also wanted him to take a year off after Sochi or Boston but Yuzu did not want to. She also knew about his injury in Boston and blamed herself that she did not stop Yuzu when he was doing too many jumps in practice in Boston. So long story short – she (an outsider - former resigned JSF official) was very involved in his career and had a lot of control (advice, direction, coaching, sponsors...) over Yuzu (outsider, Sendai boy), at least until 2018. https://www.sankei.com/article/20160328-4KTYQ6CBPFI7LIPU32AODSQXOI/

Check this thread https://twitter.com/FedUpLys/status/1418673108182085633

OP summed it up perfectly: "So this is very roughly the core of how Yuzu's and Hashimoto's paths diverged since the start. […] the fact that she never had any kind of power or influence over him (and worse that was Shirota the one having it) had always been the main seed of everything that happened later […]"

5. Not signed with any sport/entertainment agency

Yuzu is not signed with any agency. So there is nobody who is actively doing any PR for him, or some, you know, subtle shades at his opponents, or in general, pushing some strings at some places. I bet IMG approached his team several times but Yuzu's team refused. It must probably drive IMG/JSF crazy - just the possibility of so much money that they could have made.

6. Ice shows, $$$

Over many years, there has been many rumors, especially when Mao was around, that JSF takes not so small % of their active skaters' income from endorsements and ice shows. Until 2014, Yuzu did tons of shows, but since 2015, he has been limiting his ice show participations. I believe it is mainly thanks to Brian as he spoke about it several times. So, if it is true about those % from his income, JSF probably is not too happy they have a golden cash cow right in their hands but cannot control him and milk him properly.

7. JSF philosophy

A quote by a JSF chairman Hidehito Ito: https://twitter.com/chiburahakkai/status/1110762171426721792

„If we only focus on megastar, then eventually figure skating in Japan will decline. We want to reach the level when there is no surprise if any of our skaters could win Worlds. So we do not intend to change our perspective.“

So it seems like Yuzuru has become too much of a megastar and they are worried what will happen once Yuzuru retires. He is arguably the biggest thing that ever happened in Japanese figure skating and once he leaves, a decrease in fans' interest is expected, not only in Japan. So probably JSF thinks their best interest is to tone down his impact as much as possible and to hype other skaters while of course using Yuzu as a stepping stone, with the hope of create 'next, even better Hanyu'.

8. Envy

Again, purely a speculation, but one can imagine some skaters or coaches not liking the extent of Yuzu's popularity. Wherever he is, he takes the spotlight no matter what.