General Yuzuru Chat

25 minutes ago, Altie said:

I recall Kenji saying that Yuzu helped him fix his axel by giving him only a few advices - and my little finger is telling me that Nobus amazing combos at FaOI may have benefited from some Yuzu help too.

In fact I kinda think that Yuzu would make a great technical coach - he's put so much thought about how to perfect his elements, and he's such a perfectionist - he would know exactly what to correct in order to obtain perfect jumps. The "Shuu" "Paa" thing might sound funny, but I think it nly means something about the rythm of the jump, and the moments you have to focus your energy... nothing that mysterious ?

Matsuoka also said after an interview where he asked Yuzu about his 4T "It’s amazing how analytical his mind is. If you were to ask most skaters how they manage quads, most wouldn’t be able to explain and would just say it’s a feeling. But not Yuzuru. The explanation he gave was as clear-cut as a physics experiment."

I actually agree that he's someone who can give great technical advise in layman's term. I think the "Shuu" and "Paa" is his own little thing. hahaha

Interview was translated here:

26 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Shoma was equally confused at Mao's way of explaining things ("so that's how geniuses think!").

As was Keiji at NHK with the shuu paaa thing (but Satton got it! :smiley-love017:).

Hahaha yes, I remember this! Funnily enough....I sort of get what both of them are saying?? hahahaha it's a sort of shorthand for the motion of the body closing during a jump, then opening up. It kind of is the most fitting word to describe what they're doing. 

26 minutes ago, Floria said:

Sorry, what means "doS"? :confused:

I'm not 100% across colloquial/popular Japanese usage so someone more familiar can feel free to correct me, but I believe 'ドS' is used to describe someone who is very dominant and assertive in a relationship (in contrast to M-types who are softer and more submissive). I always interpreted it as someone who was also a bit sadistic/mischievous and who is the type who will playfully insult people they like or do things to get a rise or reaction out of them (though this is mostly because I think the terms are derived from BDSM terminology). And...uh...I'll leave you with that very non-confident explanation :xD:;;;;;; 

hace 1 minuto , kaerb said:

I'm not 100% across colloquial/popular Japanese usage so someone more familiar can feel free to correct me, but I believe 'ドS' is used to describe someone who is very dominant and assertive in a relationship (in contrast to M-types who are softer and more submissive). I always interpreted it as someone who was also a bit sadistic/mischievous and who is the type who will playfully insult people they like or do things to get a rise or reaction out of them (though this is mostly because I think the terms are derived from BDSM terminology). And...uh...I'll leave you with that very non-confident explanation :xD:;;;;;; 

Got it, thank you! 

6 hours ago, singcarcom said:

Thanks for the translation. =)

While I know winning every competition is within Yuzu's ability, I wonder if setting this goal would put too much pressure on him. I guess that's why I'm now glad he chose to do Chopin 3.0 for his sp. He's very consistent with Chopin and based on his performances for the ice shows, it looks like 3.0 will be better than its predecessors. 

He knows he can't lose any momentum before the Olympic games. If others gain more traction during the season than he does, it'll reflect on GOEs and PCS. If he loses to Nathan early on it could be an issue, but it's the first competition and he can make up for it later on. But losing GPF or Nationals before the Olympics can be costly to him in terms of momentum. Chopin 3.0 is indeed a way to prevent himself from getting left too far behind on the SP.

The FS will be a mystery until August, I think. 

40 minutes ago, kaerb said:

I laughed because iirc another interview, Mao also explained her jump technique in a similar way with onomatopoeia ('gyuu' and 'ku' or something) :laughing:

The "paa" I can get because correct landing does require you to land first on your toepicks (the bottom 2 I think), and that does create a small "paah" sound, similar to a breathy exhale when you land. You can check against a lot of the male skaters, the good ones thend to have a quick, small "pah" sound when they land with a good, huge exit edge. You can actually tell how good a landing is by the sound of the landing! The "shuu" I'm not 100% sure on. From the interview, it seems like he's referring to a rapid acceleration your body does to fold into the jump-like your movement is somewhat slow and delayed, all the way until the last moment when you jump....now I'm confused.

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

The "paa" I can get because correct landing does require you to land first on your toepicks (the bottom 2 I think), and that does create a small "paah" sound, similar to a breathy exhale when you land. You can check against a lot of the male skaters, the good ones thend to have a quick, small "pah" sound when they land with a good, huge exit edge. You can actually tell how good a landing is by the sound of the landing! The "shuu" I'm not 100% sure on. From the interview, it seems like he's referring to a rapid acceleration your body does to fold into the jump-like your movement is somewhat slow and delayed, all the way until the last moment when you jump....now I'm confused.

My silly self thinks it's just the sound that happens when he takes off..

4 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

My silly self thinks it's just the sound that happens when he takes off..

It would explain the loop and salchow, I'm not sure how it would apply to an axel or the toe assisted jumps. His take offs sound pretty silent.... Man, if only I were a kid and selected to be at Yokohama, all the questions I could ask...speaking of which, he's never gone into details on his flip or lutz jumping technique has he?

Just now, Xen said:

It would explain the loop and salchow, I'm not sure how it would apply to an axel or the toe assisted jumps. His take offs sound pretty silent.... Man, if only I were a kid and selected to be at Yokohama, all the questions I could ask...speaking of which, he's never gone into details on his flip or lutz jumping technique has he?

Well... the "shuu" and "paa" was his answer to the question from NHK 2016 of how he will be jumping his 4Loop in his FS ((he failed in the SP). So it may just apply to his edge jumps.

hace 21 minutos , xeyra said:

He knows he can't lose any momentum before the Olympic games. If others gain more traction during the season than he does, it'll reflect on GOEs and PCS. If he loses to Nathan early on it could be an issue, but it's the first competition and he can make up for it later on. But losing GPF or Nationals before the Olympics can be costly to him in terms of momentum. Chopin 3.0 is indeed a way to prevent himself from getting left too far behind on the SP.

The FS will be a mystery until August, I think. 

I think these thoughts about not losing any competition are based on last year's experience. Surely he wants to get the best GOE and PCS possible now that his rivals have greater BV.

hace 23 minutos , MrPudding said:

http://news.livedoor.com/article/detail/13315416/

So from google translate.. the article is about sexy body ranking as chosen by 100 women in their thirties.. Yuzu got 7th place :mischief: 

Seriously, 7th? :idk: