General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, Pammi said:

Brian knows what we all know - there is something special about  Yuzuru, something extraordinary.  Brian calls it something on a spiritual level...I have often described it as Yuzuru having a magic about him, he is magical, and whatever that magic is it touches our hearts and our souls, so yeah, pretty much agree with Brian!

Brian talking about his dad in the first couple of minutes makes me think of how Jason talks about his dad.

No wonder Brian is such a kind and supportive coach. He really has good hands for his athletes to be in.

15 minutes ago, memae said:

Also... Yuma has another year. He's 17. He's going to grow as a skater more than any of them just because he's young and he's only just stepped up into senior. Apparently he's training 4Lo and 4Lz. I don't doubt that after a year of serious training he'd have the stamina (since he's a spring chicken by comparison) to do a 5-quad layout like Nathan was capable of at that age - the difference is that Yuma's performance qualities and skating skills are already better than Nathan's were at that age. People seem to forget how far Yuzuru came in the year before Sochi. 

Off topic but I hope he doesn’t put the Lz in competition, nor the 4F if he trains it too. He is for sure going to get full credit and rave reviews for problematic techniques, and I really, really don’t like it. 

8 minutes ago, Melodie said:

Off topic but I hope he doesn’t put the Lz in competition, nor the 4F if he trains it too. He is for sure going to get full credit and rave reviews for problematic techniques, and I really, really don’t like it. 

At 17 he's in a better position than most of the rest of the seniors to work on problematic technique. Sadly with the way things are going with the need to amp up tech content, I think good techniques will become less important than simply being able to get it done. A 4Lz with 0 GOE is still better than a perfect triple. And we're also very aware that the impression landing a bunch of quads has on the judges influences PCS too. When it comes to beating Nathan, every point is going to count. We know how meticulous Yuzuru is with numbers - I don't doubt that Yuma and his team are figuring out where he can boost his own numbers. 

2 hours ago, memae said:

At 17 he's in a better position than most of the rest of the seniors to work on problematic technique. Sadly with the way things are going with the need to amp up tech content, I think good techniques will become less important than simply being able to get it done. A 4Lz with 0 GOE is still better than a perfect triple. And we're also very aware that the impression landing a bunch of quads has on the judges influences PCS too. When it comes to beating Nathan, every point is going to count. We know how meticulous Yuzuru is with numbers - I don't doubt that Yuma and his team are figuring out where he can boost his own numbers. 

Yeah, it is a big if, because last I checked his problems remain, only the calls disappear and the GOEs get higher and higher. Well, I agree with everything you said, although it saddens me so. 

2 hours ago, memae said:

Also... Yuma has another year. He's 17. He's going to grow as a skater more than any of them just because he's young and he's only just stepped up into senior. Apparently he's training 4Lo and 4Lz. I don't doubt that after a year of serious training he'd have the stamina (since he's a spring chicken by comparison) to do a 5-quad layout like Nathan was capable of at that age - the difference is that Yuma's performance qualities and skating skills are already better than Nathan's were at that age. People seem to forget how far Yuzuru came in the year before Sochi. 

surely he'd go for 4F before 4Lz, doesn't he flutz?

I think Yuma still has a bit to go, because I think he was running out of steam by the end of his FS. Even though he's young, building up the stamina for 5 quads is not going to be trivial, and neither is building the consistency on the quads for it to be worth it. I do think he's set up pretty well to be #1 after both Nate and Yuzu retire though. 

30 minutes ago, shanshani said:

surely he'd go for 4F before 4Lz, doesn't he flutz?

I think Yuma still has a bit to go, because I think he was running out of steam by the end of his FS. Even though he's young, building up the stamina for 5 quads is not going to be trivial, and neither is building the consistency on the quads for it to be worth it. I do think he's set up pretty well to be #1 after both Nate and Yuzu retire though. 

As far as I can observe, he has flat Flip and flat to flutz Lutz so :dontknow: But does it matter? He is going to get the full credit anyway. And yes, with the way it is going both domestically and internationally, he is set up to be No. 1 

14 hours ago, Terrapin said:

You cannot say Nathan won over Yuzu here because he was overscored. Sure his score may benefit from an inflation which is partly a result of his consistency, but Nathan won fair and square here. And once again, consistency is something Yuzu has always striven for, constantly pushing himself while suffering from asthma, lacking stamina and being prone to ankle injury. Nathan seems to have a better constitution than Yuzu on this point, while Yuzu fought to erase his weaknesses. His stamina drastically improved but he is still likely to be bothered by his asthma and the last years saw him facing injury over injury. This also explains why consistency-wise, he is a total wild card. There haven’t been many competitions in which Yuzu was perfect in both the short and free programmes. I was pleasantly surprised he was for Japanese nationals, and I’m sure this is because he had given his body the necessary rest and had reached the right balance in himself, while he overworked himself on the 4A before coming into worlds, which could also explain why he was asthma acted up this way. Knowing Yuzu’s history, I wasn’t sure he could repeat the feat he did at nationals while I had no doubt Chen would be as consistent as ever. I really wished I could have seen a perfect free programme from Yuzu to see whether he could have won : and I’m

sure it was within his reach. Last thing : I saw Nathan vs Yuzu live twice, and although my heart has always been with Yuzu, I have to say he tends to lack speed once he’s tired or had a really bad fall, while Nathan seemed quite fast and very much at ease. Sure the artistry is incomparable, but at the end of the day Nathan does the job. 

I am happy as you for Yuzu performance in All Japan Figure Skating Championships.  

But I don't mean to offend you and just clarify about the speed.

FS
Yuzuru Hanyu https://www.instagram.com/tv/CM7U7yXggvv/  P.S This skating speed happened when he suffered asthma attack.

Yuma Kagiyama ttps://www.instagram.com/tv/CM7Us5pArbn/

Nathan Chen  https://www.instagram.com/tv/CM7UPGbgfN2/

SP
Yuzuru Hanyu  https://www.instagram.com/tv/CM2OSGcAgLl/
Nathan Chen  https://www.instagram.com/tv/CM2K0b3AgvI/

Now i read comments from other fs fans that Yuzuru is just trying to get himself relevant with the 4A talk since he is now has nothing to show and has been talking about 4A from a long time now and has still not landed it and making fun of him and dont believe he will able to land  the 4A because of other quads he cannot jump.Argh...why i have to read all this..its like there is no safe place to read about fs besides here

6 minutes ago, Sweetyuzupon said:

I am happy as you for Yuzu performance in All Japan Figure Skating Championships.  

Yuzuru Hanyu FS https://www.instagram.com/tv/CM7U7yXggvv/

Yuma Kagiyama FS ttps://www.instagram.com/tv/CM7Us5pArbn/

Nathan Chen FS https://www.instagram.com/tv/CM7UPGbgfN2/

Thank you for sharing!  This full arena view provides a very clear-cut evidence of the huge differences in their speeds across the rink.  It's hard to observe this on the limited frame of the TV screen.  (I remember being amazed by Kaori's powerful skating and the size of her jumps when I saw her live for the first time at GPF 2018).    

37 minutes ago, Melodie said:

As far as I can observe, he has flat Flip and flat to flutz Lutz so :dontknow: But does it matter? He is going to get the full credit anyway. And yes, with the way it is going both domestically and internationally, he is set up to be No. 1 

eh, I checked a few of his flips and the edges look fine to me. they're clearly inside. flips are supposed to be done on a shallow inside edge. I think it's presumptuous to say that he's never going to get called on his lutz edge

46 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

BTW...sounds like JPN media interviewed a japanese judge, who said he disagreed w/ scoring.

Too little too late, but it finally happened.

[NEWS]

JSF people really need to start speaking up about the blatant double standard when it comes to scoring. It's not just Yuzu who suffers either--Rika is far less competitive against the Russians than she should be because of how inflated the Russians' scores are. 

21 minutes ago, shanshani said:

eh, I checked a few of his flips and the edges look fine to me. they're clearly inside. flips are supposed to be done on a shallow inside edge. I think it's presumptuous to say that he's never going to get called on his lutz edge

You can be right about his Flip. 

I remember he had a few calls in the past. At one point, he had calls on both jumps I think? But lately, no. It maybe presumptuous, but with the way he is being popped up, I really think unless he is a threat to a new rising star (or old ones, it really depends), he's probably not going to get called (same goes for Anna. Those calls she got at CoC were just miraculous). 

Anyway, I think we should stop here or move to the General Skating Chat thread. I would love to discuss these technique issues with everyone, it's an awesome way of learning, but this is the thread about Yuzu after all :) 

43 minutes ago, Sweetyuzupon said:

Yuzuru Hanyu FS https://www.instagram.com/tv/CM7U7yXggvv/  P.S This skating speed happened when he suffered asthma attack.

Yuma Kagiyama FS ttps://www.instagram.com/tv/CM7Us5pArbn/

Nathan Chen FS https://www.instagram.com/tv/CM7UPGbgfN2/

whoa, this is a great comparison.

Personally, I have seen Yuzu live a few times and the only times I think he is a bit slower than usual is when he was injured. For example, at the 2018 Olympics (FS) and 2019 Worlds (FS). It's hard to notice this difference on TV because the camera follows the skater. The only skater who seems noticeably slower than others even when on TV is Liza, lol.

I can't really compare with other skaters (i.e. Nathan) speed live because I haven't watched them. But these videos are quite informative. I was a bit shocked. 

22 minutes ago, shanshani said:

JSF people really need to start speaking up about the blatant double standard when it comes to scoring. It's not just Yuzu who suffers either--Rika is far less competitive against the Russians than she should be because of how inflated the Russians' scores are. 

Completely agree with you here :) Very off-topic too, but I'd like to cry a river about Kaori's PCS (and anything 2A).