General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, barbara said:

Nathan Chen is athletic and has good, if stiff, jumps.  But that's not reason he beats Yuzu.  It's the biased scoring. Pure and simple.

You cannot say Nathan won over Yuzu here because he was overscored. Sure his score may benefit from an inflation which is partly a result of his consistency, but Nathan won fair and square here. And once again, consistency is something Yuzu has always striven for, constantly pushing himself while suffering from asthma, lacking stamina and being prone to ankle injury. Nathan seems to have a better constitution than Yuzu on this point, while Yuzu fought to erase his weaknesses. His stamina drastically improved but he is still likely to be bothered by his asthma and the last years saw him facing injury over injury. This also explains why consistency-wise, he is a total wild card. There haven’t been many competitions in which Yuzu was perfect in both the short and free programmes. I was pleasantly surprised he was for Japanese nationals, and I’m sure this is because he had given his body the necessary rest and had reached the right balance in himself, while he overworked himself on the 4A before coming into worlds, which could also explain why he was asthma acted up this way. Knowing Yuzu’s history, I wasn’t sure he could repeat the feat he did at nationals while I had no doubt Chen would be as consistent as ever. I really wished I could have seen a perfect free programme from Yuzu to see whether he could have won : and I’m

sure it was within his reach. Last thing : I saw Nathan vs Yuzu live twice, and although my heart has always been with Yuzu, I have to say he tends to lack speed once he’s tired or had a really bad fall, while Nathan seemed quite fast and very much at ease. Sure the artistry is incomparable, but at the end of the day Nathan does the job. 

16 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

You cannot say Nathan won over Yuzu here because he was overscored. Sure his score may benefit from an inflation which is partly a result of his consistency, but Nathan won fair and square here. And once again, consistency is something Yuzu has always striven for, constantly pushing himself while suffering from asthma, lacking stamina and being prone to ankle injury. Nathan seems to have a better constitution than Yuzu on this point, while Yuzu fought to erase his weaknesses. His stamina drastically improved but he is still likely to be bothered by his asthma and the last years saw him facing injury over injury. This also explains why consistency-wise, he is a total wild card. There haven’t been many competitions in which Yuzu was perfect in both the short and free programmes. I was pleasantly surprised he was for Japanese nationals, and I’m sure this is because he had given his body the necessary rest and had reached the right balance in himself, while he overworked himself on the 4A before coming into worlds, which could also explain why he was asthma acted up this way. Knowing Yuzu’s history, I wasn’t sure he could repeat the feat he did at nationals while I had no doubt Chen would be as consistent as ever. I really wished I could have seen a perfect free programme from Yuzu to see whether he could have won : and I’m

sure it was within his reach. Last thing : I saw Nathan vs Yuzu live twice, and although my heart has always been with Yuzu, I have to say he tends to lack speed once he’s tired or had a really bad fall, while Nathan seemed quite fast and very much at ease. Sure the artistry is incomparable, but at the end of the day Nathan does the job. 

[redacted] fast, pardon me while I laugh. Let [redacted] do Yuzuru's transitions, then we will see how great stamina and speed he has.🙄

24 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

You cannot say Nathan won over Yuzu here because he was overscored. Sure his score may benefit from an inflation which is partly a result of his consistency, but Nathan won fair and square here.

Nathan definitely had inflated scores. I, personally, side eye the scoring Yuma received more. Though asthma and other factors may have played a role in Yuzuru's FS, he did have some issues that led to his FS the way it was...and for judges to get the excuse to sharply underscore him.

I understand Nathan getting gold. I wont contest that. I would argue though, that after a fall/stumble/trip, it is difficult for any skater to recover their momentum. 

1 minute ago, Paskud said:

[redacted] fast, pardon me while I laugh. Let [redacted] do Yuzuru's transitions, then we will see how great stamina and speed he has.🙄

I'm not denying Yuzu has harder programmes (hence I talked earlier how he strived for the perfect skate and the perfect balance between artistry and technicity), however, because he set the bar so high, any mistake is going to be very costly, unfortunately. And as I also said earlier, judging tends to be focused on jumps, and the tech takes precedence over components. And for the people who don't know a lot about figure skating, because Chen stays on his feet and does these hard jumps rather easily, he tends to be considered to be better, because people don't really know about transitions anyway. To me, any of Yuzuru's perfect skates are masterpieces, and Chen will never reach this level in a million year. However, you cannot deny his athleticism and consistency. So once again, to me he hasn't stolen this victory, and really wish I could see someday 2 perfect Yuzu skates vs 2 perfect Nathan skates just to see Yuzu win with his masterpieces.

7 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

I'm not denying Yuzu has harder programmes (hence I talked earlier how he strived for the perfect skate and the perfect balance between artistry and technicity), however, because he set the bar so high, any mistake is going to be very costly, unfortunately. And as I also said earlier, judging tends to be focused on jumps, and the tech takes precedence over components. And for the people who don't know a lot about figure skating, because Chen stays on his feet and does these hard jumps rather easily, he tends to be considered to be better, because people don't really know about transitions anyway. To me, any of Yuzuru's perfect skates are masterpieces, and Chen will never reach this level in a million year. However, you cannot deny his athleticism and consistency. So once again, to me he hasn't stolen this victory, and really wish I could see someday 2 perfect Yuzu skates vs 2 perfect Nathan skates just to see Yuzu win with his masterpieces.

So it's Yuzuru's fault that he is underscored?

1 minute ago, Kat said:

Nathan definitely had inflated scores. I, personally, side eye the scoring Yuma received more. Though asthma and other factors may have played a role in Yuzuru's FS, he did have some issues, so I understand Nathan getting gold. I wont contest that. I would argue though, that after a fall/stumble/trip, it is difficult for any skater to recover their momentum. 

Sure, all the more so as Yuzu presents insanely difficult programmes. But a fall breaks the flow of the whole programme anyway. Because Nathan rarely falls, once again he can give the impression of not losing speed : and you can see this better live anyway. Although I saw Yuzu lose to Nathan in Torino for example, I think my greatest joy was seeing Yuzu complete his beautiful 4lz : this gave me heart palpitations. 

Just now, yuzuangel said:

you have friends like this? i don't not anymore :smiley-devil:

I do 😂. The day of the FS was a nightmare 🙈. I had to mute their texts to me it got that bad. Mind you, these arent the friends I introduced to Yuzuru. These particular friends have been into skating much longer than me. One used to skate even, but yeah...it gets nightmarish at times 😂😂 I avoid asking them figure skate questions.

2 minutes ago, Paskud said:

So it's Yuzuru's fault that he is underscored?

I never said that. I think that because of this lack of consistency it feels like every time Yuzu has to prove himself to the judges somehow. And I also think judges don't really get Yuzu's whole philosophy of skating : at the end of the day they're going to favour the guy who does all these hard quads one after the other. Lastly, because of his icon status, I really think they're way more picky with him. 

38 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

In my opinion, even a Yuzu who had obvious problems during the FS at the WC was still clearly faster than Nathan in his FS. True, Nathan landed all his jumps, but the parts in-between his jumps looked quite slow and tedious to me. They were also empty and lacked content. He was literally just going from one jump preparation to another.

The sad thing is that Nathan still got PCS that Yuzu only gets when he's at his best. But that's also the case with other skaters (Russian ladies). And while Nathan gets the highest GOEs for just completing a jump, Yuzu has to up the game and deliver the highest jump quality, including the most difficult entries and exits, in order to get decent GOEs.

If this "sport" would be judged fairly (i.e. according to the ISU's own theoretical rules), then Yuzu's GOE and PCS scores should be clearly higher than Nathan's. In fact, Nathan's PCS should be lower than those of quite a couple of other skaters, if you take into consideration the quality of skating.

While it was fair for Nathan to win this WC due to his landing of 5 quads and Yuzu's mistakes, the difference should not have been as nearly as big. And if scored fairly, then Yuzu should have won Saitama WC.

39 minutes ago, Terrapin said:

The thing is, Nathan was NOT consistent here at Worlds. he had a fall and a bad day in the SP, exactly as he did in PyeongChang. So even the 'Nathan is more consistent' narrative is not based on fact. 

Nathan has not yet beaten a fully clean Yuzu; every single time he's won, Yuzu has had problems in one of his programs. IMO the whole narrative about Nathan being the better skater is made up out of whole cloth and wishful thinking.