General Yuzuru Chat

28 minutes ago, Pamyu said:

So no one thinks it’s impossible, cos it’s Hanyu ⭐️

I find it amusing they are comparing him more to Kwan in 2006 and less to Plushenko in 2010 or even Sasha Cohen in 2006. Hanyu isn't exactly like Kwan 05/06, it's an incorrect analogy. Kwan in 05/06 was in a continuous state of injuries- in fact she didn't compete that season. Unlike Kwan though, Yuzu's had competition run-throughs of his programs, and knows at least relative to Nathan where he stands, where he needs to improve etc. The issue for him is that he needs to get back in peak competitive shape in a 2 month period of time. Sadly (or luckily) his team has a lot of experience with this-and he's been training this entire time off ice to maintain his muscle mass.  This is simply a maintanence issue-not the entire rebuild issue of Kwan.

As for the coaches....why does one sound vaguely of Mishin with Yuzu's noodlely figures? I wonder if the coaches interviewed involved one Carroll and one Mishin? Also, considering this season so far, most of the men have not been consistent, and for men's the standings in SP and FP can be very different. Yuzu has come back from 9 point deficeits-something that is only possible in men's. If he were a ladies's skater not named Medvedeva, I think this injury would be far more devastating.

15 時間前, kaerbさんが言いました:

The Oly channel already did a ‘career retrospective + defending title’ fluff piece on Yuzu - there would have been more like that if he had been competing this season but the media buzz has died down because of his absence.

Is this recent? Might you be so kind as to point me towards it?

14 時間前, Aotoshiroさんが言いました:

Burst out laughing at the manga part-when your non-ace player causes extinction of the dinosaurs, or conquers science and clones himself, or causes the ball to disappear, you just forget to trust the ace title in the Sports genre. The only realistical thing I've learned is to never trust people offering you strage drinks tbh.

Well, not all of them them are exaggerated AF. Quite a bit of them are grounded in reality (with a bit of dramatization, Hanyu-style) especially the ones labelled seinen or josei. Daiya no Ace is pretty believable to me (although it's labelled as shonen, its storytelling sensibilities strike me as more seinen) but it makes the ace out to be a singular position that the protagonist has to fight for with this other dude, even though they are both equally gifted but in very different ways. I don't follow real life baseball enough to be sure if this ace position being just the one actually reflects real life.

29 minutes ago, Pamyu said:

So no one thinks it’s impossible, cos it’s Hanyu ⭐️

An international coach, who requested anonymity, believes Hanyu’s incredible skill and poise will enable him to pocket the gold again without an event in advance of the big extravaganza in South Korea.

“I think he can do it. He is such a great athlete with so many weapons in his arsenal,” the coach told me in a telephone call on New Year’s Eve. “This layoff may turn out to be a good thing for him. There is going to be pressure on Nathan Chen and the others, but Hanyu has already done it once, so his chances are good.

Now who might that coach be?? :knc_tracy1:

1 minute ago, Xen said:

My guesses involve some random draw from Carroll, Mishin and Plush....

could also be stephane lambiel because I read before that he saw Seimei 2.0 during off season and he understood why they chose to re-use it and fully support it :pouty:

6 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Sounded like Plushenko to me with the focus on not needing 4lz but I suppose a few have brought it up. 

9 minutes ago, MrPudding said:

could also be stephane lambiel because I read before that he saw Seimei 2.0 during off season and he understood why they chose to re-use it and fully support it :pouty:

I was actually focused more on the first coach-"“He has one of the best coaches in the world in Brian Orser. I don’t think Brian and Tracy Wilson would take an athlete to the Olympics that they did not believe was ready to compete.” This line sounds so familiar, I just don't remember which coach said it, but am fairly sure it's a US coach.

39 minutes ago, Xen said:

As for the coaches....why does one sound vaguely of Mishin with Yuzu's noodlely figures? I wonder if the coaches interviewed involved one Carroll and one Mishin? Also, considering this season so far, most of the men have not been consistent, and for men's the standings in SP and FP can be very different. Yuzu has come back from 9 point deficeits-something that is only possible in men's. If he were a ladies's skater not named Medvedeva, I think this injury would be far more devastating.

Second 'anonymous' coach sounds like Brian, actually (the one who calls him Yuzu). 

45 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

Well, not all of them them are exaggerated AF. Quite a bit of them are grounded in reality (with a bit of dramatization, Hanyu-style) especially the ones labelled seinen or josei. Daiya no Ace is pretty believable to me but it makes the ace out to be a singular position that the protagonist has to fight for with this other dude, even though they are both equally gifted but in very different ways. I don't follow real life baseball enough to be sure if this ace position being just the one actually reflects real life.

Well, that's my problem-I prefer exaggerated af shounens, bc when the show is less exaggerated than the actual sport, I end up watching the real life counterpart and look where it had landed me :Poohgaveup:.  Just kidding, I love it here. Never before had I this much spare salt!

Sure, YoI has people jumping quads left and right like it was nothing, and Ginban Kaleidoscope has a protagonist change her program like a week before competition and nail it on her first outing, but considering the top 6 and Yuzuru I'll-YOLO-3,5-revolutions-as-the-last-jump-cause-why-not and I'll-replace-my-planned-3,5-revolutions-jump-for-a-quad-as-the-last-jump-cause Hanyu, as well as this year's Zhenya's  Free Program story, I'm betting the only more exciting part anime has oer actual sport are the costumes, and only because not all rl sportsmen are Japanese/influenced by them.

29 minutes ago, Xen said:

I was actually focused more on the first coach-"“He has one of the best coaches in the world in Brian Orser. I don’t think Brian and Tracy Wilson would take an athlete to the Olympics that they did not believe was ready to compete.” This line sounds so familiar, I just don't remember which coach said it, but am fairly sure it's a US coach.

A pinch of Frank Carrol, I think? Or Raf, when he's not drunk on quads.

I'm sure I've heard Max and Angelo arguing in one podcast over where to sent hypothetical hopeful of Italy in Ladies and Men singles, and Max insisting that both can go to Brian if Eteri can't take the girl, lol.

Kurt also always speaks highly of TCC, but he doesn't count as a coach, unless they made a spelling error and meant choreographer... sorry that didn't help at all

OTL.

Edit: Wait, when did I become SEIMEI??? Oh, it was almost 24 posts ago? Yay, me, for noticing...:facepalm:

I chose to skip reading that article - or many articles nowadays that don't have anything new in terms of quotes from his team - precisely to avoid worrying. But now I'm curious...

For now, I'm sticking to my belief that the injury wasn't that bad and they were just cautious, though without risking him not being able to be back in top shape by Oly. Nobody knows how long it takes him to recover better than him and his team. So I'm sure they took that into consideration.

I am a bit :notamused: at "I don’t think Brian and Tracy Wilson would take an athlete to the Olympics that they did not believe was ready to compete." because I don't really think it's their call. Knowing Yuzu, he'll go to the Olympics come hell or high water, no matter what anyone says. It's what he's dedicated his entire skating life to and no ankle injury will keep him away from it. Also, I think David said Yuzu is one of those people who make things happen through sheer force of will. I just hope he'll feel fired up and confident and I believe the rest will come. (Also, as I've said before, he has skated through injuries before, with great results and I believe if this had been any other season, he would have continued skating, in NHK, GPF and Nationals.)

Or maybe I'm just in an optimistic mood this year :snpeace: