General Yuzuru Chat

22 minutes ago, barbara said:

One of the other skiers had a horrific crash and received a compound fracture of her tibia and fibula two days ago. That snow is cursed. (She's already back in the states for surgery-)

I think no one except for the Chinese skiers have raced at this course before, too, because the pandemic meant test events were cancelled. So that's probably adding to the challenges. 

2 時間前, wingmanさんが言いました:

Thank you for the translation! It makes a lot of sense. (Coupled with Takeshi Honda's comments, we get the picture that he can do 4A, but he's very much aware of the risk of injuring his ankle). He has come so far. It must be scary to jump something that threatens to take you out for months at a time at each landing. I trust that he's managing it very carefully.

Ganbare Yuzu!

「逆境は嫌いじゃない。乗りこえた先にある景色は絶対にいいはずだと信じている」

"I don't hate adversity. I believe the scenery that comes after overcoming it should be absolutely beautiful." by Yuzuru Hanyu

Shizuka Arakawa made a similar comment as Yoshie Noguchi.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/fdbd59915325a8a24dca770269cb63f41100c2bd

特に注目したのはジャンプの軸。去年12月の段階では、軸は体の真ん中で、”両足”で降りてきていました。

「一生懸命回転している感じでした。まだ回転が回っているのに落ちてきちゃったりしている時に、片足で着氷すると、ケガにつながります」

しかし、今回は、軸が右に移ったといいます。

「ジャンプは片足で着氷する場合は、右足で降りるので、右に軸を取るんですが、今回は右に軸を移して、片足で降りてくるというイメージを空中で持っているジャンプになっていました」

What she especially paid attention to was the axis of the jump. In December last year, the axis was in the middle of his body, and he was landing two-footed.

"I felt like he was rotating really hard. If you land on the ice with one foot when you're still rotating, it can lead to injury."

But this time, she said that the axis shifted to the right.

"When you land on the ice with one foot, you have to take the axis on your right side as you land with your right foot. This time, it was a jump that he had the image of landing one-footed by shifting the axis to the right in the air."

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

Still stun from his beautiful SP :loveeyes: and of cause ISU…….

I have many feelings that can’t describe in a book but overall I would like to thank Yuzu for his phenomenon and artistic performance that he delivered for us to see in the Olympic figure skate. Thank you Planet Hanyu to be safe haven and oasis to us <3
Wish Yuzu all the best, health and safety for his free skate  :YuzuPooh:

21 hours ago, desteva said:

Hey everyone! New member here: I've mostly been lurking around but I'm confused on something- if anyone could help me understand that would be great!

I think it's pretty common knowledge here that both the ISU and JSF dislike yuzu and have constantly underscored him in the past few years, but I've always struggled to understand why they dislike him so much to this extent.

I really don't understand why the JSF hates yuzu so much. Like, he's their most respected, highest achieving, and popular skater over all of these years. So why are they so cold to him and prefer/push Shoma and Yuma over him? Is it since they want to move on from Yuzu and promote a new generation of Japanese skaters, AKA Yuma? I can't really put my head around this one.

And also for the ISU, I guess this directly correlates to the JSF not liking Yuzu. Since the JSF has substaintial power as a federation similar to the Russians and the Americans -- so you would expect that to work to Yuzu's favor, but it really doesn't because his own federation doesn't like him :(

This is just me being really frustrated with all the federations, scoring, etc. At this point it really seems like Yuzu (and Fanyus) vs. the world, and it really makes me sad that it's not going to change. But it really shows how committed Yuzu is to this sport and how much he loves it. He doesn't care so much for the scores but I'm glad he continues to enjoy the sport and push himself further. 

I believe that it stems from the fact that the powers that be in the Japanese Skating Federation have always been centered in Nagoya and Osaka and Yuzu is seen as an outlier because he is from Sendai in the rural North. Unfortunately for the JSF, the only two Japanese Olympic gold medalists are from Sendai – Yuzu and Shizuka.

It has not helped that Keiko Hashimoto, current member of the Japanese government's House of Councillors, recently the President of the Tokyo 2020 Organizing Committee and former President of the Japan Skating Federation, was enamored with Daisuke Takahashi and hated/hates Yuzu for supplanting him in 2012. In August, 2014, Hashimoto, a married woman with children, became embroiled in accusations of sexual harassment of Daisuke. Several photographs showed Hashimoto and Takahashi dancing at a party following the closing of the Sochi Winter Olympics. It was alleged that Hashimoto had kissed Takahashi several times despite the latter's obvious attempts to resist. Hashimoto denied the allegations and, as expected, Takahashi's management team agreed that he had not been harassed.

Guest turquoiseblue
4 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

Having said that we need to relax, here is an interesting article by Yoshie Noguchi :animated-smileys-hello-22:

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/851993

Excerpt: rough translation by DeepL and me.

(omission)

フリーの構成に書かれた、驚くべき「2つの最終兵器」とは?

What are the two amazing "final weapons" written into the free structure?

その夕方、羽生が登録したフリーのジャンプ構成に、驚くべき最終兵器が2つ書き込まれていた。もちろん1つは4回転アクセル。そして新たに加えられたのは「トリプルアクセル+3回転ループ」だった。これは4回転アクセルの回転軸をつくる練習としては行っていたが、試合で入れたことはない。トリプルアクセルで完全な右の回転軸をキープしながら降りない限り、3回転ループをつけることはできず、リスクが高いからだ。実際のところ、1998年にアレクサンドル・アブトが成功した記録があるものの、現行ルールでの成功者はいない。

That evening, two surprising final weapons were written in the elements of free program that Hanyu had registered. One was a quad Axel, of course. And the new addition was "3A + 3Lo". He had been practicing to make the pivot for 4A, but had never done it in an actual program. This is because unless you land 3A while keeping a perfect right axis, you cannot add 3Lo, which is risky. As a matter of fact, no one has ever succeeded under the current rules, although there is a record of Alexander Abt's success in 1998.

(omission)

2月7日、羽生が北京入りして最初の公式練習。そこで羽生は35分間の半分ほどを4回転アクセルの練習にあてた。そのジャンプは、全日本選手権からわずか1カ月半とは思えない、大きな進化を遂げていたのだ。

February 7, Hanyu's first official practice after arriving in Beijing. There, Hanyu used half of the 35 minutes for practicing his 4A. It was hard to believe that it had been only a month and a half since the Japanese Nationals, but the jump had evolved greatly.

まず全日本選手権のときは、足を組んだまま降りてくるため左足トウが先に着氷し、すぐに右足に乗り換えて着氷姿勢をとる、というものだった。演技後に羽生は「まだ怖くて左足をついてしまう」と語っていた。

First of all, at the Nationals, he was landing with his legs crossed, so his left toe landed on the ice first, and then he quickly switched to his right foot to take landing position. After his performance, Hanyu said, "I'm still scared, so I put my left foot on the ice".

しかし北京でみせた4回転アクセルは、右足で着氷しようとしていた。降りてくる最後に回転をほどき、右足で着氷すると、バランスを保つために左足をついて両足着氷になる。同じ両足着氷でも、左が先についてしまうのと、右足から降りられているのでは、まったく違う。「右足で降りる」という段階へ、大きく前進していた。

However, with the 4A he showed in Beijing, he was trying to land on the ice with his right foot. When he untied the rotation at the end of the jump and landed with his right foot, he had to put his left foot on the ice to keep his balance, resulting in a double-footed landing. The same two-footed landing, but completely different between the ones with the left foot coming down first and the right foot coming down first. He had made a great progress to the stage of "landing with his right foot".

8本トライした4回転アクセルのうち、回転したのは5本。そのうち2本は右足が先行して降りているように見えた。回転をほどいて右足で降りる準備をできるということは、つまり、回転が足りつつあることを意味する。

Of the eight tries of 4A, he rotated five of them. Two of them seemed to be landing with the right foot first. The fact that he could unwind the rotation and prepare to land with his right foot meant that he was getting enough rotation.

ただし、今はまだ全力で回し切っていない。下手に本気で回すと、着地で捻挫する可能性もあるのだろう。練習では「右足で降りる」という段階までを繰り返しておいて、本番は全力で締めれば認定されるところまで回る、という計画と自信を感じさせた。

However, he hasn't turned it with all his might yet. If he turns it too hard, he might sprain his ankle on landing. He gave me a sense of his planning and confidence, saying that he would repeat the "right foot landing" stage in practice, and then in the actual competition, if he tightened up (the body) with all his might, he would rotate to the point where the jump would be certified.

(omission)

1 hour ago, SuzyQ said:

Shizuka Arakawa made a similar comment as Yoshie Noguchi.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/fdbd59915325a8a24dca770269cb63f41100c2bd

特に注目したのはジャンプの軸。去年12月の段階では、軸は体の真ん中で、”両足”で降りてきていました。

「一生懸命回転している感じでした。まだ回転が回っているのに落ちてきちゃったりしている時に、片足で着氷すると、ケガにつながります」

しかし、今回は、軸が右に移ったといいます。

「ジャンプは片足で着氷する場合は、右足で降りるので、右に軸を取るんですが、今回は右に軸を移して、片足で降りてくるというイメージを空中で持っているジャンプになっていました」

What she especially paid attention to was the axis of the jump. In December last year, the axis was in the middle of his body, and he was landing two-footed.

"I felt like he was rotating really hard. If you land on the ice with one foot when you're still rotating, it can lead to injury."

But this time, she said that the axis shifted to the right.

"When you land on the ice with one foot, you have to take the axis on your right side as you land with your right foot. This time, it was a jump that he had the image of landing one-footed by shifting the axis to the right in the air."

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

Thank you for the translations, @SuzyQ :thanks:

It's good to know that Yuzu is making slow but steady progress :clapping-smiley: Ganbatte, Yuzu! You can do it! :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw::tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

2 hours ago, taeyuzu said:

Hi Fanyus :wave: If anyone's interested I made a gif twitter account - @GIFHANYU 

Hello@taeyuzu:wave:

Unfortunately I get the message: "This account does not exist":scratch2:

@SuzyQ Thank you for the articles and the translation. :thanks:

I can't watch Yuzu's FS because of my work.  But I send him my best wishes and positive energy.

Ganbatte Yuzu: gamba:

I will open the Planet anxiously tomorrow: slinkaway:

On 2/8/2022 at 5:14 PM, KendallKlaire said:

Okay, now that I've had some hours to collect myself and gather my thought I feel like I have to share some of my feelings rn (sorry for this long rant)

When I saw that Yuzu popped his jump last night I couldn't bring myself to watch the rest of his skate (no matter how amazing it was). I was so devastated and knew he just lost his chance for another gold. I am still super upset about it, however, Yuzu himself has taken the situation so graciously and calmly I have to wonder if he knows that others are more disappointed than himself? But I actually believe this just shows how Yuzu has fantastically matured in this sport. He is not blaming himself, nor is he blaming others. He says his condition was fine and he performed well, it was just an unfortunate event that happened, now he has no choice but to deal with it. I want to learn how to take events in my own life about that. 

Granted, I am still super upset by what happened, but what can be done? If anything, what I am seeing that is so uplifting is the amount of people still giving their support behind Yuzu and the many fans (fanyus and casual fans alike) still saying that Yuzu is the greatest PERIOD.  It wasn't his night, but things happen, every person knows this. I love seeing how many still have faith in Yuzu and this unfortunate accident proves it is not his results that bring people to him, but his wonderful personality and aura. 

I do feel guilty I feel so strongly because I feel like lately I have invested a lot of my own happiness and good feelings into Yuzu which is not fair to him. It's just that my own life has been quite unhappy recently due to my dead-end, life-draining job that I do not enjoy (sadly opportunities around me are scarce so leaving is not an option right now). I battle depression and anxiety and COVID has not made things better. Yuzu has provided a light for me since I saw his 2017 Worlds free skate. I got invested and interested in skating because of him.  After last night I realized that I don't think I'll have any interest in it once he leave. I thought I would, I thought I would find another skater to get invested in, but alas no. 

It's clear that Donovan was the highlight of last night for a lot of people (casual viewers especially).Inspirational stories are so important in sport and Donovan is the perfect example of one (but please don't let him go to Eteri!) Yuzu has always been an inspiration and he is someone that cannot be duplicated. I want to say that I love Yuma, given his great skating skills and general adorableness but I don't see him becoming a Yuzu level star. I've grown to like Shoma a lot more since 2018 (say what you want about his jumps, but it took a lot of guts to leave his Japanese coach). The less said about Nathan the better. He doesn't deserve the WR or the PCs he receives and I don't feel anything when he skates. 

When Yuzu retires, I'm done with FS. He's inspired me in so many ways and I hope one day I can thank him. It's rare these days to have a total stranger inspire the hell out of you and all you want from them in return is for them to be healthy and happy. 

This whole text reflects almost exactly how I feel myself. I had settled in front of my TV for the night, struggled to stay awake (alarm clock set, though) and tried to watch all skaters. When Yuzu skated and the (really nice and competent) livestream commentator held her breath, I thought: Oh please, not a popped jump AGAIN! (I wasn't aware of the hole.) Then I admired Yuzu's calm and friendly reaction. I rewatched his program and was amazed by its beauty, comparing to none of the other skaters who got more points. I really like Donovan, Shoma, Yuma and some others but it's not the same. It was heartwarming to see new fanyus registering here after the SP, meaning: not after a victory but after an unfortunate but beautiful performance. I'm convinced others will follow because that's Yuzu's magic. :tumblr_inline_nhkezmYSxk1qid2nw:

4 hours ago, Anni said:

Hello@taeyuzu:wave:

Unfortunately I get the message: "This account does not exist":scratch2:

@SuzyQ Thank you for the articles and the translation. :thanks:

I can't watch Yuzu's FS because of my work.  But I send him my best wishes and positive energy.

Ganbatte Yuzu: gamba:

I will open the Planet anxiously tomorrow: slinkaway:

SILLY ME :facepalm: 

My account is @HANYUGIF :woop: Will be posting some gifs tonight everyone!