General Yuzuru Chat

3 hours ago, turquoiseblue said:

Hello and welcome to the Planet, @evas4786 , @witch , @Sophia , @Omoshiroi_Zuzu  , @desteva  and @HiskeVeronicaMaria  :welcome:

Thank you for joining us :img_21: I'm grateful to have all the new and old satellites and to be able to support Yuzu and follow his incredible journey together :10742289: :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

@Omoshiroi_Zuzu

Your username can be changed only once. You can ask @yuzuangel :tumblr_inline_n18qraikFP1qid2nw:

Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the answer, I totally forgot I read that last year....

Sometimes I'm really mesmerised by the love he receives, I hope he knows how much we support him. Gosh I need to stay away from twitter...

To escape from this tension for a while, here is an article about his skating boots "EDEA" :titanic:

Maybe DeepL can help you to understand the outline.

羽生結弦が高校時代から履き続ける“革命的なスケート靴”のヒミツとは? 発売当初は周囲からバカにされる“異端の靴”だった

What is the secret of the "revolutionary skating boots that Yuzuru Hanyu has been wearing since his high school days? When they were first released, people made fun of them as "unorthodox boots".

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/851924

:offtopic2:

but if you are interested, this is an article about Shoma's boots.  He is using a really soft pair of boots now, and it seems to have affected good on his performance recently.

https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/1198e82b13b43e49a2624c742c020dab26a01009

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].
Guest turquoiseblue
58 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

To escape from this tension for a while, here is an article about his skating boots "EDEA" :titanic:

Maybe DeepL can help you to understand the outline.

羽生結弦が高校時代から履き続ける“革命的なスケート靴”のヒミツとは? 発売当初は周囲からバカにされる“異端の靴”だった

What is the secret of the "revolutionary skating boots that Yuzuru Hanyu has been wearing since his high school days? When they were first released, people made fun of them as "unorthodox boots".

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/851924

Thank you for sharing the article :thanks:

DeepL translation :68271262:

In today's ever-changing world, today's common sense is often a thing of the past. The world of sport is no stranger to such samples. In figure skating, the concept of the shoe has changed dramatically this century.

Figure shoes used to be "hard and heavy". In order to dance gracefully on the ice with the metal blades, the foot and ankle had to be protected by a strong shoe. To achieve this, cowhide was piled up like plywood, sometimes with iron in between, to give it rigidity. They looked like leather shoes. They felt clingy and heavy to the touch.

The new Italian manufacturer Edea overturned this common sense.

Mr. Koki Sakurai, a blade polisher who supports many top skaters, explains.

When Edea launched the Icefly in 2007, it was a sneaker-like shoe that was very different from traditional shoes. Instead of cowhide leather, we used man-made leather for its lightness. At the time, established manufacturers didn't take kindly to the idea, but the Icefly, with its extreme lightness and comfort, attracted the world's top skaters.

Yuzuru Hanyu has been wearing them since high school.

The Icefly is a lightweight skate shoe. In 2004, the company developed a harder version, the "Piano", after some skaters, who were used to a harder version, said it was too soft. In 2004, the company developed a harder version, the Piano, which became a best-seller, although it was a little heavier.

In the past, hard, heavy shoes hurt your feet when you wore them, but that was the norm for skaters. However, Edea's focus on comfort has led to the use of low rebound cushioning, which dramatically reduces the pain. Also, while conventional shoes require a week or two of breaking in for the leather to settle in, the Piano fits from the moment you put it on. This has also become a big attraction for skaters.

From "Edea (laugh)" to "the best Edea". Mr Sakurai's involvement with "that gold medalist" has also played a part in the company's progress, as it has refused to be bound by the old style and has put skaters first.

"Yuzuru Hanyu. The fact that he has continued to achieve results since his high school days wearing ice flies and pianos has probably encouraged the younger generation to wear Edea shoes. Nowadays, most of the top players in Japan are Edea.

Finally, what is the price? The pianos that the world's top skaters all wear cost 100,200 yen including tax. It is with these that Hanyu dances gracefully on the ice, wearing blades that cost 92,400 yen.

Having said that we need to relax, here is an interesting article by Yoshie Noguchi :animated-smileys-hello-22:

https://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/851993

Excerpt: rough translation by DeepL and me.

(omission)

フリーの構成に書かれた、驚くべき「2つの最終兵器」とは?

What are the two amazing "final weapons" written into the component of free program?

その夕方、羽生が登録したフリーのジャンプ構成に、驚くべき最終兵器が2つ書き込まれていた。もちろん1つは4回転アクセル。そして新たに加えられたのは「トリプルアクセル+3回転ループ」だった。これは4回転アクセルの回転軸をつくる練習としては行っていたが、試合で入れたことはない。トリプルアクセルで完全な右の回転軸をキープしながら降りない限り、3回転ループをつけることはできず、リスクが高いからだ。実際のところ、1998年にアレクサンドル・アブトが成功した記録があるものの、現行ルールでの成功者はいない。

That evening, two surprising final weapons were written in the elements of free program that Hanyu had registered. One was a quad Axel, of course. And the new addition was "3A + 3Lo". He had been practicing to make the pivot for 4A, but had never done it in an actual program. This is because unless you land 3A while keeping a perfect right axis, you cannot add 3Lo, which is risky. As a matter of fact, no one has ever succeeded under the current rules, although there is a record of Alexander Abt's success in 1998.

(omission)

2月7日、羽生が北京入りして最初の公式練習。そこで羽生は35分間の半分ほどを4回転アクセルの練習にあてた。そのジャンプは、全日本選手権からわずか1カ月半とは思えない、大きな進化を遂げていたのだ。

February 7, Hanyu's first official practice after arriving in Beijing. There, Hanyu used half of the 35 minutes for practicing his 4A. It was hard to believe that it had been only a month and a half since the Japanese Nationals, but the jump had evolved greatly.

まず全日本選手権のときは、足を組んだまま降りてくるため左足トウが先に着氷し、すぐに右足に乗り換えて着氷姿勢をとる、というものだった。演技後に羽生は「まだ怖くて左足をついてしまう」と語っていた。

First of all, at the Nationals, he was landing with his legs crossed, so his left toe landed on the ice first, and then he quickly switched to his right foot to take landing position. After his performance, Hanyu said, "I'm still scared, so I put my left foot on the ice".

しかし北京でみせた4回転アクセルは、右足で着氷しようとしていた。降りてくる最後に回転をほどき、右足で着氷すると、バランスを保つために左足をついて両足着氷になる。同じ両足着氷でも、左が先についてしまうのと、右足から降りられているのでは、まったく違う。「右足で降りる」という段階へ、大きく前進していた。

However, with the 4A he showed in Beijing, he was trying to land on the ice with his right foot. When he untied the rotation at the end of the jump and landed with his right foot, he had to put his left foot on the ice to keep his balance, resulting in a double-footed landing. The same two-footed landing, but completely different between the ones with the left foot coming down first and the right foot coming down first. He had made a great progress to the stage of "landing with his right foot".

8本トライした4回転アクセルのうち、回転したのは5本。そのうち2本は右足が先行して降りているように見えた。回転をほどいて右足で降りる準備をできるということは、つまり、回転が足りつつあることを意味する。

Of the eight tries of 4A, he rotated five of them. Two of them seemed to be landing with the right foot first. The fact that he could unwind the rotation and prepare to land with his right foot meant that he was getting enough rotation.

ただし、今はまだ全力で回し切っていない。下手に本気で回すと、着地で捻挫する可能性もあるのだろう。練習では「右足で降りる」という段階までを繰り返しておいて、本番は全力で締めれば認定されるところまで回る、という計画と自信を感じさせた。

However, he hasn't turned it with all his might yet. If he turns it too hard, he might sprain his ankle on landing. He gave me a sense of his planning and confidence, saying that he would repeat the "right foot landing" stage in practice, and then in the actual competition, if he tightened up (the body) with all his might, he would rotate to the point where the jump would be certified.

(omission)

Thank you for the translation! It makes a lot of sense. (Coupled with Takeshi Honda's comments, we get the picture that he can do 4A, but he's very much aware of the risk of injuring his ankle). He has come so far. It must be scary to jump something that threatens to take you out for months at a time at each landing. I trust that he's managing it very carefully.

Ganbare Yuzu!