General Yuzuru Chat

I don't know if this issue has been addressed, but has there been any hard news or speculation as to whether Yuzu might go to Milan to observe the proceedings there?  I really don't think he should since actually he'd be somewhat of a distraction there if he did go.  Actually my hope is that he's spending these next few weeks at home in Japan with his family.  When it finally looks like he can get back on the ice, that's when he heads back to Toronto.

As a side note, could some of the hostility against Yuzu in Japan be because he's not training there but in Canada?  Just wondering.

1 minute ago, micaelis said:

I don't know if this issue has been addressed, but has there been any hard news or speculation as to whether Yuzu might go to Milan to observe the proceedings there?  I really don't think he should since actually he'd be somewhat of a distraction there if he did go.  Actually my hope is that he's spending these next few weeks at home in Japan with his family.  When it finally looks like he can get back on the ice, that's when he heads back to Toronto.

As a side note, could some of the hostility against Yuzu in Japan be because he's not training there but in Canada?  Just wondering.

I don't think any speculation or hard news has come about him possibly going to Milan as a spectator. I personally don't think he would attend because doing so would kind of take the attention away from the skaters competing and put it on him merely by being there, which is something I can see Yuzu trying to avoid. The people competing, even if they may be alternates, have worked hard to be able to compete there and I don't think he'd want to take the attention away from them, where it should be. 

It's a possibility that that's where some of the hostility is coming from but at the same time it seems unlikely. Figure skaters move to other countries to train under coaches from different countries all the time. It's pretty much normal to do so. Plus whenever a skater changes coaches and/or moves to a different country it's usually because they feel they've gone as far as they can under the coach they had and are moving to continue to better their craft. In the end isn't that what people would want for an athlete representing their country, to do whatever possible to improve themselves? 

Well Yuzu has his 1st class family vacation gift and he said (jokingly) he wanted to go to the most expensive place. So, he could use that amazing gift during Worlds time and finally be away from the skating world for a while. Tbh he should go somewhere hot and like go to those amazing beaches vacation places. This kid has been constantly on the ice for far too long, he needs some heat. 

6 minutes ago, b138oo said:

Well Yuzu has his 1st class family vacation gift and he said (jokingly) he wanted to go to the most expensive place. So, he could use that amazing gift during Worlds time and finally be away from the skating world for a while. Tbh he should go somewhere hot and like go to those amazing beaches vacation places. This kid has been constantly on the ice for far too long, he needs some heat. 

he can come to my country, 私は案内するわ:peekapooh:

17 minutes ago, micaelis said:

Well according to my friend, who is a Japanese but was raised in the US, she used to have a problem when she went to middle school in Japan for 2 yrs. she said she was deemed too Americanised by her schoolmates and she was made fun off often. However, Yuzu is a different case in which he doesn’t really assimilate with the western culture. So, I don’t think he would have that problem regarding his japanese cultural practice. And I don’t think they discredit his achievements bc he trains in Canada either bc he literally showcases this strong “my home is in Sendai” personal belief all the time. 

40 minutes ago, wingman said:

A bit off topic, sorry, but... what happened at Golden Skate that led to this forum? I'm surprised that there's still an active thread on Yuzu at GS (and it seems to have a positive vibe).

I was never on GS but apparently a war started there after some yuzu fan posted a vid of hope and legacy 2017 worlds world record analysis. 

Its this one. Some patrick fans got angry by this and a fight started so GS deleted hanyu thread and Hanyu fans got kicked out. Leading to the birth of planet Hanyu. 

4 hours ago, Fresca said:

Google image search "Yuzuru Hanyu suit". You will see that every suit he has ever worn (ANA, JSF, galas, commercials, etc) has been too big for him.

There is only 1 suit I know of that ever fit him (from a Xylitol White commercial) and I was so happy when I found it, I made a post on this forum. You can see it below. His next best fitting suit is probably the Team Japan one from Pyeongchang with the cropped sleeves because the rest of the jacket and his trousers looked like they fit decently. That tells you something about the other suits he has...

I thought Bathclin did a great job! (then again, I don't really know much about suits :biggrin:)

tumblr_oeualaqUw01tbuttdo2_r1_1280.jpg

[source]

4 hours ago, Floria said:

I downloaded both documentaries from FujiTV

07/02/2018 https://drive.google.com/open?id=1P4KFP8Hb4Qcv5C61IA5Kre9aSGnEqZV4

26/02/2018 https://drive.google.com/open?id=116quLaOXHZMp3s9ievG_3wJPkC_aZ_Nd (it is the whole program, Yuzu part is in the first 32 min)

Oh, thank you!!! I did get the first one, but post-Olympics there's been so much stuff and it's been so overwhelming, I often said "I'll download later" and then by the time I got around to it, a week had passed and I couldn't ^_^;

1 hour ago, micaelis said:

He has no reason to tire himself out on a long trip to Milan, when he can just as well watch it on TV. (I actually think going to an ice rink while he can't skate would also be pointlessly torturing himself; plus you can be sure some would say: well, if he's going anyway, why can't he take some more painkillers and skate? And on top of that, I'd be crushed, alongside everyone else who is canceling trips to Milan and selling tickets :P Because even if not skating, if he were there, I think most of us would want to be there, too.)

He's most probably going to stay in Japan until he can start practicing. It all depends on what rehabilitation means. If it's just off ice or not. We'll probably know some more tomorrow, when that ice show page updates. Then it depends what ice shows he can do and if he can get back on the ice, if he can squeeze in a trip to Toronto, to work on programs for next season. It's a difficult Summer, because he wants to do many ice shows and he has the P&G talk shows as well, but he also has 3 months rehab - which Yuzu being Yuzu might take longer - and he still needs to work on programs for next season, if he wants to do a full one. Theoretically, he can do that while rehabing, at least sketch them out, but we know he likes to skate and jump while working on them, so... It's tricky. For now I think he's enjoying his rest in Sendai. Though who knows, really? And I think it's great we don't know.

As for training in Canada, I wondered about this, too, especially since as a junior he said he always wants to train in Japan, with Japanese coaches. I think what changed his mind was seeing Javi's rapid improvement under Brian and knowing he'd need something like that for Sochi, if he actually wanted to try to win. I don't think he ever mentioned that speed of improvement as being one of the factors, but it makes sense to me. Either way, improving his skills and getting better results became more important than sticking to 100% Japan and I think it's great he was able to decide that, despite obviously not liking much having to leave Japan.

I think the hostility in Japan mostly comes from fans of other skaters who in their own ways did great things for Japanese skating, but never got the popularity or acknowledgement Yuzu got. Yes, him being a victim/survivor of the earthquake did add an extra layer of 'tragic heroism' to his image, and the way he rose from that and became successful gradually, even, because it didn't happen overnight, it all added to his image and nothing any of the others have ever done or could ever do for upcoming skaters, can compare to that. So I think those fans, who feel their favorites are being overlooked and underappreciated, lash out at exactly the things most people use to explain Yuzu's legend: the earthquake experience, him being a good guy, etc. It's pure envy. (And an envy that I don't think is shared by said favorites, because I think they also understand all the pressure that comes along with being this popular and put on SUCH a pedestal. And they also know the truth about Yuzu post earthquake and how hard he's worked to be where he is. Even Takahashi, while admitting he was affected by Yuzu coming so strongly into the senior scene and his quad abilities, he never blamed Yuzu for it. Rather seemed in awe of him.)

Anyway, back to brighter topics lol

1 hour ago, b138oo said:

I can't imagine him going to a beach place, since he doesn't like beaches and can't swim. But who knows? Actually, I'm not sure he'd want to travel anywhere outside of Japan right now... He's been away for too long... But really, who knows? lol (Also, Japan gets plenty hot in Summer lol)

Oh and personally, I'd rather neither Shoma nor Nathan won. I prefer Boyang, simply because I genuinely like him the most and he seems to be the one who is most like Yuzu in aiming to improve all aspects of his skating. I used to think Shoma did, too, but Shoma still has a lot to improve that he doesn't seem to realize he needs to improve (or at least doesn't say it, although he did say he learned from Yuzu and Javi). And Nathan has said he doesn't care about that. So I'd rather neither gets the World Champion title. But if I had to choose between just the two of them, then, yes. Shoma all the way. An outsider would be fun, though lol

2 hours ago, micaelis said:

I've only ever spoken to one person who's not a Yuzu fan and he couldn't really explain to me why he doesn't like Yuzuru.

Here are my theories on why you could be from Japan and not be a Yuzuru fan:

1. His skating is just not your cup of tea

2. They are fans of other skaters and resent the focus on Yuzuru and not on their favorites (that's fair because when Yuzu was in the Olympics, Japanese media almost exclusively only focused on Yuzu and Shoma and the other Japanese skaters got token coverage)

3. They are still resentful of Yuzuru beating Daisuke Takahashi. Prior to Sochi, Takahashi was the most famous male Japanese skater and the most accomplished with his Olympic Bronze and World title. Yuzu kind of leap frogged and trampled all those accomplishments and made them look paltry in comparison. Maybe it's a generalization, but I believe most Takahashi fans are now Shoma fans who emulates his idol Takahashi and his style.

4. They have no taste

I feel sorry for anyone who's actually resentful of Yuzuru's accomplishments. I'm American and Taiwanese, I should be rooting for Nathan or Vincent or Boyang, yet I love Yuzuru the best while being able to cheer for the other men. Although, truthfully, I'm kind of resentful toward Nathan because I think his PCS scores are not warranted. However, I'm hoping like heck that he finally focus on improving on non-jump elements and become someone compelling to watch (I got bored personally while watching his 6 quad FS at the Olympics).

Edit: I don't think him not training in Japan is why there are hostility. I think there's more hostility that he's not from the major skating centers like Nagano/Nagoya whichever one Takahashi,Shoma, and Mao are from. Takahashi trained outside of Japan before and didn't get flack (that I know of) because of that. Same with Mao.