General Yuzuru Chat

I just watched a fancam in the post above here and I really think that they should avoid having white for Yuzu's costume tops.  There are times that it looks like his head is disembodied and floating a foot or so above the rest of his body.  It's really weird.

21 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Not sure if mentioned yet, but the Zhenya and Yuzu collab was a question from Russian journalists and Zhenya/Eteri replied to it with an answer that basically spells out how difficult that would be because of logistics. They didn't bring up a collab themselves. 

Edit: Obviously this discussion was just the next page from where I was reading when I replied and I'm being redundant since others have clarified it already. 

Oh... dang late here I come.

2 minutes ago, cinemacoconut said:

No one will surpass the legacy and skill of yuzu but one day shoma might beat him when yuzus peak is over. But that wnt happen cuz yuzu will retire before his body peak is over. Thats what i meant haha. Yuzu is truly a legend unlikely to be repeated in figure skating history for a long long time. 

The thing with Shoma is, he doesn't want it. In one of his interviews last week, he said he didn't feel anything special about the olympics or being at the olympics. And that was the moment when i knew. He just doesn't want it that much, that's why he is not winning things :shrug:

:t1233:

5 minutes ago, GoldMedalist said:

With the way Shoma is skating, i doubt he is going to surpass Yuzuru, not now and not when Yuzuru retires. Unless some politics play their game.... Shoma is already 20 yo, he still hadn't won anything, but there are Chen and Boyang, both of them have already  beat him, and possibly some new, younger jumping wunderkinder will come. Its going to be hard for him. And if the judges will start to look at his jumps closely - game over.

I agree about his technique and I don't think judges will start looking at his jumps now when they haven't.

But about the rest making history, getting WRs, and winning streaks can sometimes be created by judges. (I don't want to be mean, but look at the Ladies field.) It's the skater who can stay in people's memory that are the real winners, and Shoma makes enough of an impression.

Surpassing in what way is the question. Surpassing Yuzu record-wise and beating Nathan, Boyang or a wunderkid will depend on the judge's scoring and moods. It's more artificial when I think about all the controversies we've seen in this sport (although I happen to think Yuzu deserves his titles.) However if it is surpassing Yuzu and Dai for being an iconic skater, he cannot, because there is only joining them (if he ever matures more, and I still think he has time for this).

45 minutes ago, Dara said:

There is no way skater with such flawed technique can actually surpass Yuzuru. Period.

:iagree:If there's anyone who can be the closest (closest as in compared to others that's gonna carry the sport on after Yuzu) I vote Boyang Jin. Don't know how the boy is so shadowed, he's taking things step by step and steadily. Look at that 4Lutz.

Shoma's gonna lead TJ one day, simply because Yuzu is no vampire. (Sure looks damn like one)

EDIT: But to be fair, I still hope Shoma will develop more and be bold enough to grow out of his comfort zone. Just that he doesn't seem to be ready for such a drastic change yet.

5 minutes ago, cinemacoconut said:

No one will surpass the legacy and skill of yuzu but one day shoma might beat him when yuzus peak is over. But that wnt happen cuz yuzu will retire before his body peak is over. Thats what i meant haha. Yuzu is truly a legend unlikely to be repeated in figure skating history for a long long time. 

I think Shoma might beat Yuzuru in competition once or twice because score is score, performance is performance, and even the GOAT can have days off and can be surpassed in terms of score. Nathan has already won twice over Yuzuru, and this doesn't in any way whatsoever change the fact that Yuzuru is considered the best skater ever from most skating experts and athletes and coaches, and Nathan is considered a young talent who still has a lot of work ahead of him. 

So when and if Shoma will beat Yuzuru in competition, it won't change the fact that Yuzuru has changed the sports for good, making it reach heights and limits never even imagined before him, and Shoma is one of the skaters who followed Yuzuru in pursuit of something special and powerful that he saw inside him. Shoma is well aware of this, and this is why I will always appreciate him as a person. 

2 hours ago, kamotejojo said:

As much as I want as collab...

:knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3: :knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3:

NOPE. DO NOT BRING A JUMPING BEAN AND A WHOLE STABLE OF JUMPING BEANS TOGETHER.

:knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3::knc_brian3:

:rofl::rofl:Yuzu, don't ever go to Russia to visit Eteri's rink! It's a trap! They'll keep you there until they can document the secrets of your beautiful jumps!

What a weird question to ask. What is it with the Russia media's fascination with Yuzu? Maybe it began with his crazy 3A-3A at CoR 2011?? :rofl::rofl:

13 hours ago, GreatLakesGal said:

You know, I think that these actions are Yu's very subtle ways of keeping Shoma in his place--that is, below him. Like the Queen of England, he's not about to abdicate his throne as Japan's Figure Skating King. Not yet anyway.

I especially love it when he pets him! :rofl:

46 minutes ago, yuzuonice said:

I also thought of that - but not exactly as a gesture of keeping Shoma in "his place", but more of a  "I don't want things to get too tense between us with all the medals and serious competition stuff. I'm your senpai and your my kouhai and this is how it is going to be, forever, even if you one day surpass me" :'D

I also think Yuzu's fussiness with Shoma is because he's the caring/big brother type and these are genuine gestures rather than a subtle way of bringing him down. I think Yuzu has the confidence in his abilities to know that he is better than Shoma and his skating speaks for itself. He doesn't need to bring others down to keep himself up. I think he's straightforward that way. In any case, even if he was doing that, I don't think it would have the intended effect...it only works if it makes Shoma feel embarrassed/weaker/smaller in some way. Shoma doesn't seem to care much what others think about him. What matters to Shoma is what happens in the skating rink. I think Yuzu is the same - he's king of the rink because of his skating in the rink.

@yuzuonice and others who keep speculating about Yuzuru’s treatment towards other members in team Japan. Am I right to say you never see the hierarchy system in Japan in action? And maybe you never work among Japanese athletes before? 

I used to work at a stadium during my college years, I met Japanese athletes before, I was like telling them the time of the practice, the time of competition, the hotel address and all sort of information when they’re in the competitions. And this is my explanation of why Yuzuru is treating his teammates so well and caring:

1) Yuzuru acts caringly to all younger members of team Japan, especially the youngers like Satoko, Shoma, and all... because he’s the senior. Seniors are supposed to act that way in Japan in all kinds of fields, even in universities, offices. There’s nothing like “putting one in their place” thing. It’s their culture for seniors to be in charge. 

2) Yuzuru is already among the older members of team Japan, and the oldest medalist in the skating team, people look at him first and foremost. In short, he is the face of the whole JSF now. It’s natural that he acts like a senior because that’s how the public expects him to do, and I am sure most Japanese people will see it’s natural to act that way once they’re in that position. Of course he carries that expectation of “acting like a senior” with grace and elegance. I think his parents even taught him how to act that way or told him in details that he should act that way because he’s a senior now, that’s how seniors are expected to do. 

3) Yuzuru genuinely likes his teammates. Why people think it’s so hard to get?

Since I was in quite a number of sport competitions during my college years, watched Japan teams in various sports acted, there’s nothing weird in how Yuzuru is handling the media and acting towards his teammates. It’s just he does it with the most graceful gesture and composure I have ever seen. But the way he acts as a caring senior is totally normal. I have seen this before among Japanese athletes. 

4 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

I agree about his technique and I don't think judges will start looking at his jumps now when they haven't.

But about the rest making history, getting WRs, and winning streaks can sometimes be created by judges. (I don't want to be mean, but look at the Ladies field.) It's the skater who can stay in people's memory that are the real winners, and Shoma makes enough of an impression.

Surpassing in what way is the question. Surpassing Yuzu record-wise and beating Nathan, Boyang or a wunderkid will depend on the judge's scoring and moods. It's more artificial when I think about all the controversies we've seen in this sport (although I happen to think Yuzu deserves his titles.) However if it is surpassing Yuzu and Dai for being an iconic skater, he cannot, because there is only joining them (if he ever matures more, and I still think he has time for this).

Why not?  They can, I think Satoko is a good example :popcorn:  Shoma is not that new "fresh" face anymore, judges are way more impressed with Nathan these days,

3 minutes ago, yuzuuu said:

can we just end this talk about whoever surpassing Yuzu. regardless of anything, we all know that yuzu will forever be remembered as one if not the best skater ever. 

People are so underestimating Yuzuru. But I will just shut up because the level of over-thinking is getting over the top I am tired and I don’t have time for all of that.