General Yuzuru Chat

I do not think Takeshi lived with his mom in Canada. I remember a fluff piece showing he lived in the basement of a home in Barrie, so he probably spoke with them a lot. Isnt Nobu's english also better than Yuzu's?? Probably the same reason. When you are alone you have to speak to others more, no choice, whereas yuzu goes home and talks to mom, probably does school work... probably watches Japanese tv instead of Canadian... and everyone knows the best language tutor is watching soaps on tv, lol!!

But yeah, he gets away with cute english and it improves all the time.... just more slowly!!!

I never understood the concept of patriotism in these cases... why does someone being born in the same country make people want to root for them? It's about their skating. If I don't like it, I don't like it.

And my fave team after Russia is actually China. So many cuties :pbow:

Never understood patriotism either. My favorite team is Japan, I'm American. I am working on increasing my postings, up to number 17 now!

Patriotism isnt so big with me either in sports.... unless it is hockey. I always gravitate towards Russian pairs, starting with G/G, and i used to prefer Russian dance until the late 90s, but it was always whoever from wherever in singles, which is definitely opposite to how i should be if i were patriotic. You like who you like.

I met Takeshi at worlds and had a nice chat with him. He does speak very good English. Shizuka's English is also decent. I was too nervous to try in Japanese, haha. The only person I actually spoke it with that was a skater or coach ended up being Kevin Reynolds of all people...to the surprise and delight of some nearby Japanese fans who were listening in. :rofl2:

I could talk about Yuzu's language acquisition forever :sadPooh:

Please go ahead! :coffee: A new thread idea?

Hahaha i am but a language enthusiast who over analyzes things :P i have talked about his english progress and quirks before :D

I never understood the concept of patriotism in these cases... why does someone being born in the same country make people want to root for them? It's about their skating. If I don't like it, I don't like it.

And my fave team after Russia is actually China. So many cuties :pbow:

Never understood patriotism either. My favorite team is Japan, I'm American. I am working on increasing my postings, up to number 17 now!

ITA, I am American, but I root for Team Japan, Javi, Evgenia, Boyang (he's adorable,) Team China, and a couple of Canadian ladies, and am hopeful that Nam will get back on track with his skating. I have a soft spot for Romanian gymnastics as well being a Simone Biles fan.

meoima said:
Honestly I doubt that Yuzuru will ever try to cosplay Tuxedo Mask because:

It has been years but still hilarious.

I love Sailor Moon :love: except I cringe at the earlier badly dubbed English version. I would freaking have a heart attack and die happily if he played Tuxedo Mask to Evgenia's Sailor Moon. :yay:

I met Takeshi at worlds and had a nice chat with him. He does speak very good English. Shizuka's English is also decent. I was too nervous to try in Japanese, haha. The only person I actually spoke it with that was a skater or coach ended up being Kevin Reynolds of all people...to the surprise and delight of some nearby Japanese fans who were listening in. :rofl2:

Haha how did you meet so many people at Worlds?! hahaha

BTW, I usually root against the Americans in most every sport just because NBC (or whatever american channel i have to watch) usually makes me so annoyed at them by the time they actually perform that i just have a bias against them.

I could talk about Yuzu's language acquisition forever :sadPooh:

Please go ahead! :coffee: A new thread idea?

Hahaha i am but a language enthusiast who over analyzes things :P i have talked about his english progress and quirks before :D

I remember (from the dearly departed FF) :space:

Always happy to hear more

I would root for British people but...there's no good British skaters. Really. I cheer for them but...yeah.

I root for Team Korea because it's my 2nd home haha

But I also cheer for Team Japan and Team China. I'm trying to root for more European skaters... Honestly, I will cheer for anyone...the only skating I'm not really interested in is Russia's. I just don't like the typical Russian approach. I find the pantomime element a lot of Russian skaters have really off-putting and a lot of them have programs I find boring. Figure skating doesn't seem like a sport where you root for your local team lol.

I think Yuzu's English is fine, he maybe lacks confidence? Idk he's at least at the point now where you get the jist of what he wants to say when he tries to expand beyond 'I'm happy but I need to train more' XD

BTW, I usually root against the Americans in most every sport just because NBC (or whatever american channel i have to watch) usually makes me so annoyed at them by the time they actually perform that i just have a bias against them.

I am not a fan of NBC commentating, I always end up yelling "shut up Tara" at the tv. I don't mind Jason Brown or Ashley Wagner, but I root against Gracie Gold.

I am not a fan of NBC commentating, I always end up yelling "shut up Tara" at the tv. I don't mind Jason Brown or Ashley Wagner, but I root against Gracie Gold.

I don't mind any of them but I don't really bat an eye if they don't do too well.

I used to root against Gracie Gold around Sochi era when everyone was going crazy over beautiful blonde gracie GOLD skating for GOLD whose movie star looks overshadow everyone in hollywood just because.... ofc she was one of the best american figure skaters ever, after winning nationals once, and having no major international medals

But this season made me like her a lot more, probably because that...hype subsided.