General Yuzuru Chat

1 minute ago, Xen said:

That's the impression I get too. First place in his heart is the Japanese fan crowd, and I'm somewhat resigned that ACI 2017 might be the first, last and only time I'll see him live. 

Well not just that, but Japanese shows pay more + are easier for him if he lives in Japan. I don't think Stars on Ice or whatever can afford to take him on nor would they want to, North Americans/Europeans seem to pretend he doesn't exist sometimes.

1 minute ago, yuzuangel said:

Well not just that, but Japanese shows pay more + are easier for him if he lives in Japan. I don't think Stars on Ice or whatever can afford to take him on nor would they want to, North Americans/Europeans seem to pretend he doesn't exist sometimes.

Welp, I know what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life. Sorry, wallet, you won't be full again for a long, long time.

7 minutes ago, Xen said:

I don't think Marin is going to quite fill that hole. Nationally yes, but Yuzu's international fame isn't quite matched by Marin. Especially since Marin will soon have Trusova, Kihara, You Young, Eun Soo, and Anna S. coming up. All these ladies with their quads and 3As will probably start eclipsing Marin, internationally at least.  Ladies field going towards 2022 will be a crowded hot mess. 

That's the impression I get too. First place in his heart is the Japanese fan crowd, and I'm somewhat resigned that ACI 2017 might be the first, last and only time I'll see him live. 

I might sound negative, but after years of following Japanese culture, I have to say foreign attribution is not that much considered. Does it matter to JSF if Yuzuru is famous in many Asia countries and the general skating world? I doubt. Even Western media still see Asian fans are Japanese, thus our contribution is counted as Japanese's fans contribution. Which is weird of course. 

Do you think JSF care for the international fans that are following Yuzuru? I doubt they care. Of course, we contribute something to the magazine sales and CMs with Yuzuru appear, as well as competitions that Yuzuru competes in. But as far as I can see, they live off the domestic field. Look at Japanese music industry or dramas etc... do you see they make it big outside of Japan? Unlike Korean showbiz, Japanese showbiz, music and all are quite close up. 

It's sad to hear this, but I also think it's because the JSF would also like to give their other skaters a chance to shine. It would be equally bad if they were seen as neglecting their other athletes. As long as it doesn't move into more underhanded territory than that, then I guess I can live with what JSF are trying to do here. 

6 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

I'm hoping he'd bring back TOI as an annual show or something :7562096:

18 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

At the end of the day, Hanyu really only wants to skate. He's probably not too concerned by anything else. It's how he's always done things.

He wants to skate AND win. I think he is trying to do everything within his power to force the judges to give him fair-ish scores. And if they don't the world still knows what he deserved. That's why i can't picture him retiring because of shady politics, he knows there are things he can't fight against, but he's going to cover everything he CAN control.  And there's just so much shady stuff you can do before people notice and protest. I know about that.

8 minutes ago, Xen said:

If he stays for 2019 i have to be there. The plane can crash on the way back and i wouldn't care, i would have fulfilled my lifelong dream of visiting Japan and would have watched him skate for the last time (probably). And there's still Vancouver next year. As much as i would like to deny it, i don't feel like he will keep on going after 2019. Again, i hope i'm wrong.

2 minutes ago, meoima said:

I might sound negative, but after years of following Japanese culture, I have to say foreign attribution is not that much considered. Does it matter to JSF if Yuzuru is famous in many Asia countries and the general skating world? I doubt. Even Western media still see Asian fans are Japanese, thus our contribution is counted as Japanese's fans contribution. Which is weird of course. 

Do you think JSF care for the international fans that are following Yuzuru? I doubt they care. Of course, we contribute something to the magazine sales and CMs with Yuzuru appear, as well as competitions that Yuzuru competes in. But as far as I can see, they live off the domestic field. Look at Japanese music industry or dramas etc... do you see they make it big outside of Japan? Unlike Korean showbiz, Japanese showbiz, music and all are quite close up. 

Yeah Japan is historically rather xenophobic. It's admirable that Yuzu acknowledges his foreign fans and does so quite often; it shows he does care, but the language barrier probably makes it hard for him to truly understand them. 

1 minute ago, SparkleSalad said:

Welp, I know what I'm going to be doing for the rest of my life. Sorry, wallet, you won't be full again for a long, long time.

I can really see his international fans going to Japan just to see him skate. 

To bad I can't travel to see him. Boston was my only chance. :sadPooh:

1 minute ago, meoima said:

That's the product of being the only country where Japanese is the official language. They have to build a strong domestic entertainment industry and that's where they make all their money. Foreign fans buying magazines or attending events is peanuts to them, as with fans of movies, bands, etc. as you say. Trying to get a foot in the door makes me feel like we're still in the Edo Period. 

Just now, Sammie said:

I'm pretty mad I didn't see him in Boston. I only saw the gala (so I did see him but ... not in competition).

I didn't go because I had a friend's birthday party. *head desks*

1 minute ago, yuzuangel said:

Yeah Japan is historically rather xenophobic. It's admirable that Yuzu acknowledges his foreign fans and does so quite often; it shows he does care, but the language barrier perhaps makes it hard for him to truly understand them. 

I think Yuzuru will tour Europe. I think money is not the case if he wants to. And he did say he would want to travel a lot and skate in many tours. He does not like staying in one place. I remember that interview vividly. We will see him around the world. I do believe so.

10 hours ago, Sammie said:

I feel like maybe it's going to be the light at the end of the tunnel for me because NA and Europe are far too far for me to travel for comps but Japan is just up the street. Of course I will die in lotteries over and over and be a complete wreck my whole life.

Just now, meoima said:

I think Yuzuru will tour Europe. I think money is not the case if he wants to. And he did say he would want to travel a lot and skate in many tours. He does not like staying in one place. I remember that interview vividly. We will see him around the world. I do believe so.

Well, I hope so <3 And fans will fly from worldwide to see him, I'm sure. 

3 minutes ago, meoima said:

This is very true. I am used to being neglected by all the japanese i follow (which is like 70% of the things i like). They don't really care about success overseas, and those who do often change their essence and ends up being a completely different product than the one they present to Japan.  We aren't relevant at all.

I accepted this long ago but i have to confess that it never hit hard until i started following Yuzuru. That's another reason why i started learning japanese, breaking the language barrier gives you a bit of advantage as long as you don't mention you are a foreigner.

1 minute ago, SparkleSalad said:

That's the product of being the only country where Japanese is the official language. They have to build a strong domestic entertainment industry and that's where they make all their money. Foreign fans buying magazines or attending events is peanuts to them, as with fans of movies, bands, etc. as you say. Trying to get a foot in the door makes me feel like we're still in the Edo Period. 

That's why I said. Marin and the other young girls going up in the ranking means the same to JSF just like Yuzuru being on top. In JSF eyes, they need domestic stars. Yuzuru is famous with international fans does not mean a thing to them. So it's all the same.