General Yuzuru Chat

While we are on the subject of Japan and the Japanese people and culture, I thought that I would bring to everyone's attention that the word "Jap" is considered extremely disparaging and offensive and a contemptuous term used to refer to a Japanese person or things Japanese and is a racial slur.

I bring this up because I saw one example of the use of this word in the "When/How did you become a fan of Yuzu?" thread. I am sure that the person using this word was not aware of its disparaging, offensive and racially charged connotations.

Therefore, please do not use this word. It does not take much more effort to type "Japanese".

I didn't know this, so I apologise.

yeah, this is dumb af

[tweet]862381034918301696[/tweet]

ok, so japanese fans nominated (btw not yuzuru wtf they never nominate yuzuru) for traveling thousands of miles to see competitions, but not any other fans. ok, whatever. i think they should say "yuzuru's fans" rather than japanese fans bc i think there's one reason why these fans are traveling to see competitions world wide and it's not because they're japanese

I tweeted to icenetwork and from now on I'll tweet to anyone who mentions only the Japanese fans without adding that he has tons of international fans from all around the world. :hachimaki:

yeah, this is dumb af

ok, so japanese fans nominated (btw not yuzuru wtf they never nominate yuzuru) for traveling thousands of miles to see competitions, but not any other fans. ok, whatever. i think they should say "yuzuru's fans" rather than japanese fans bc i think there's one reason why these fans are traveling to see competitions world wide and it's not because they're japanese

I tweeted to icenetwork and from now on I'll tweet to anyone who mentions only the Japanese fans without adding that he has tons of international fans from all around the world. :hachimaki:

That sounds like a mission :P. It's kinda sad that everyone is forgetting about us, it's not like we're 10 people or something...

yeah, this is dumb af

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

That sounds like a mission :P. It's kinda sad that everyone is forgetting about us, it's not like we're 10 people or something...

I'm not sad about us, but more like that it portrays Yuzu as someone who has a fanbase only in Japan, which is wrong because it diminishes his popularity. I don't think there has ever been such a popular skater as he is - yet the media, the commentators only talk about the Japanese fans, and completely ignore that he is beloved in the whole world. Most of them are just ignorant because if they see that on the ice level seats there are almost only Japanese fans, then they think his fans are only Japanese. :wtf:

yeah, this is dumb af

I love this fighting spirit! This is how we set things right.

I'm not sad about us, but more like that it portrays Yuzu as someone who has a fanbase only in Japan, which is wrong because it diminishes his popularity. I don't think there has ever been such a popular skater as he is - yet the media, the commentators only talk about the Japanese fans, and completely ignore that he is beloved in the whole world. Most of them are just ignorant because if they see that on the ice level seats there are almost only Japanese fans, then they think his fans are only Japanese. :wtf:

And this is why we need a huuuuge banner for PH. It will be hard to convince commentators that we're not Japanese but we can do it!

I also think that some non-Japanese, but Asian looking fans (no matter where they are from) get mistaken for Japanese by the media, when they pan over a sea of faces in the audience. Also, I think only the first 5 rows in the audience are clearly visible on camera most of the time and there were many Japanese and Asian fans in those rows. When I was Helsinki, I talked to several people who asked why I traveled so far for a competition and told me the Japanese fans were very loyal. This was kind of funny since I only traveled from the UK, which is pretty close to Helsinki :rofl2: We definitely should make the presence of international fans more evident !

I also think that some non-Japanese, but Asian looking fans (no matter where they are from) get mistaken for Japanese by the media, when they pan over a sea of faces in the audience. Also, I think only the first 5 rows in the audience are clearly visible on camera most of the time and there were many Japanese and Asian fans in those rows. When I was Helsinki, I talked to several people who asked why I traveled so far for a competition and told me the Japanese fans were very loyal. This was kind of funny since I only traveled from the UK, which is pretty close to Helsinki :rofl2: We definitely should make the presence of international fans more evident !

This! Here're group photos of some of the Chinese fans who went to 4CC. Guess they have all been assumed to be Japanese by the media :smile: Need to do your fan demographic research more thoroughly, media!

[image]http://wx2.sinaimg.cn/mw690/a3fedea6gy1fcvsnlxwikj23402c0x6q.jpg[/image] [image]http://wx1.sinaimg.cn/mw690/a3fedea6gy1fcvsnfevw3j23402c0npe.jpg[/image]

(source)

Another one to add to the collection of fanyus: Swan in rollerblades :cool: :grin:

When I first glimpsed at this I was like, nice for showing your admiration of Yuzu! Though... isn't that too many feathers and not enough sparkles :smile: also really few men can pull off a deep v-neck like Yuzu... But then surprisingly with the music he actually sold the program to me! And he's got really fine rollerblades technique.

He said in the comment, "I changed my costume and choreo 2 weeks before the competition because I like Yuzuru's costume so much. Though I can never be like Yuzu, at least I won't have any regret when I r****."