Team we're fewer but still good!

1 hour ago, sweetwater said:

Good point. But compared to mimes and facial expressions, aren't ice dance moves easy to catch from a distance? I have seen some competitions sitting on a seat away from the ice, but I rarely felt frustrated missing small ice dance moves from above. Well, I had learned their programs in advance, and I also used binocular at the beginning of their programs, but when their movement fit the music well, I could see it. I mean, I could not see it as clearly as I saw it on TV, but I could catch it and feel it with the music. For example, P/C's Shape of You SD had many small hand choreography but was a super fun SD even seen from above. Fear/Gibson's Vogue is another example. In this case, even their mime was easy to get because you could hear the sound of the shutter when Lewis moved as if he was taking a photo of Lilah. I think small choreographic moves become problematic mainly when they don't correlate with the music/sound.

Also good points you have made! Anyway, it really depends and varies from programs to programs. Let's see how it goes. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest turquoiseblue

Some updates on MCM :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Journey off the ice: Michael Martinez shares why he took a 3-year layoff

"For the longest time, I was just trying to do everything," he said. "And I told myself that I need to take a breather and figure out what I really want."

"I was coaching, I was doing other jobs too. I was working for a law firm. I was doing a lot of stuff trying to figure out who I am and who I want to be."

"Before, it was just mainly everybody saying ‘hey, you have to win, you have to win,’" Martinez said. "It started to feel that I’m losing my voice and myself. But this time, that break really gave me the strength to come back."

"I forgot how expensive this sport is," Martinez said. "The financial side was really difficult because it was really expensive. Good thing that we’re here in Moscow because it’s a lot cheaper to train here than in the USA."

"The physical stuff, my body’s not young anymore. I don’t know how my body works anymore. It was really difficult to maintain and to get back that skill again on the ice and to be better at it."

Michael Martinez on skating to 'Demon Slayer' song: 'Even if you make mistakes, you have to keep moving forward'

FS to "Demon Slayer"

"I've been watching the anime series and when I watched the movie, I felt like this is it. This is the program, this is the music that I really want to perform," Martinez said about his free skate.

"It really means a lot to me because so many things happened in my life and with this music, it really helps me boost a lot and shows that even if you fall, even if you make mistakes, you have to keep moving forward, you have to keep pushing yourself to do better, stronger, and fight for your dreams," he added, channeling the strength of will displayed by main character Tanjiro.

His return to competitive skating

"When I decided to come back on the ice and compete, I decided this time, I want to perform for myself and really show what I would have wanted to show before," he said.

"Before, I was just showing or doing everything for many people, which is sad. I guess, that's just me being sad and naive or being young. After that hiatus, it made me realize a lot of things, about decisions and just maturity," he added.

"Being able to skate and compete again just made me realize a lot of things: I really want this for myself, to show more of what I can do and show how much improvement I can show in future competitions," he said.

"Honestly this time, I'm more happy about it because I can feel the maturity or how I deliver on ice is different than before. Even though it was a lot easier to do things before, I [would] rather prefer now because it really feels different. The jumps, they were different. I know it was hard, but I feel like it is a lot stronger now."

Guest turquoiseblue

Anastasiia Gubanova: "I see what kind of competition there is in Russia. I didn’t want to quit sports, but sometimes it was difficult to find motivation"

A huge changes happened in your career – switching to the Georgian national team. How did it all work out and when did it start?

Anastasiia Gubanova: It all started in the spring of 2020, when we were at home in quarantine. The head of the Georgian Figure Skating Federation, Mariam Giorgobiani, called my coach (Evgeni Rukavitsyn) and suggested that I compete for her country. Evgeni Vladimirovich immediately told me about such an offer, and I agreed. Then we started to solve organizational issues, draw up documents. I received a second citizenship. We decided not to advertise this process – I just keep quite and worked. And before the start of the season, I gladly announced that now I’m represent Georgia.

Why do you think the Georgian federation chose you among the Russian singles?

Anastasiia Gubanova: I think the leaders of the federation looked closely to many at the competitions. They did not name the reason for their decision. But after all I’m not just any athlete: I can charm the audience, glide, and I have a decent technical level. It’s nice that it’s appreciated. 

What are your career goals?

Anastasiia Gubanova: I have been working for so many years and I want to perform on maximum, to please myself. So that people can see the result of my efforts. I plan to skate for a long time. I didn’t think about a specific date – I’ll just perform as long as I want and like it. Moreover, I got a second wind thanks to Georgia.

But your new sports federation is not as influential, there is no behind-the-scenes support. At the Finlandia Trophy, you got, in my opinion, low scores.

Anastasiia Gubanova: I took it calmly. I have not been to international competitions for a long time, the rating has dropped. That is, I fell out of the world’s attention field. Naturally, in such a situation, the judges will never give high marks. Now, in order to reach the top, I just need to perform as often as possible and build a reputation. You can say I relaunched my career.

Guest turquoiseblue

New interview with Loena :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

Loena Hendrickx: “I think it would be great to start skating in seniors at 18 years old. By this age, you become a woman, not a child”

You missed a lot of time due to injury. Was the return difficult?

Loena Hendrickx: It was really difficult, because the injury was not one, it was immediately followed by another. In total, I could not perform for more than a year. This time was very difficult. I realized that I adore figure skating and cannot imagine my life without it. I realized that I want to return, because this is my love and I want to perform and perform. I’m so proud of myself that I managed to overcome all this and now I am here.

Typically, figure skaters reach their peak at 15-16 years old. Your results get better and better with age. Can you explain this?

Loena Hendrickx: I don’t know, I started training late, until I was 13 I trained only once a day and, of course, it affected. After moving to the Netherlands, I had 2-3 workouts a day. I am glad that I have my older brother, he has always been an example for me, I saw how he works and how hard it is for him to achieve his goals, but how cool it is when he succeeds. Going to the Olympic Games together was amazing!

Recently, there has been talk of a balance between technique and artistry in figure skating. In your opinion, is it worth changing the impact of the technical score on the total score?

Loena Hendrickx: I think it would be nice to change that, because the technical aspect prevails over the artistic one. And if it was judged in different ways by different judges, it would be more fair.

What is your opinion on the age minimum for women’s single skating?

Loena Hendrickx: I think it would be great to start skating in seniors at 18 years old. By this age, you become a woman, not a child. I don’t want to say that Russian figure skaters are children on the ice because they perform well, but I think it’s important to be in figure skating for many years, and at the age of 18 there comes a moment that you can stay in the sport.

Guest turquoiseblue
4 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

Excerpts:

I had a lot of thinking, as much as I would want to continue skating in front of people, I really don't have the desire or motivation to keep training everyday. The desire, excitement and thrill is just gone. And my body is also taking a toll if I keep going.

The only time I would regret is when I didn't come back and prove to myself that I'm stronger than I believe and to inspire people and prove that age is just a number. It's been a journey but we all know it has to come to an end. I know in my heart that I'm done. The fact I was able to even barely catch up with all these talented skaters is all surprising. This sport is difficult and it's NOT objective, it is SUBJECTIVE. This means aside from being judged by the difficult elements you execute, but also being judged on taste, and well other things. I kinda know a lot more than people know. Even if I do well and follow the rules, it isn't guaranteed that I will place high because I'm not in charge of my scores. But hey, it's Ice skating. It has been that way for years. And in my mind now, it's only Ice Skating. So I had no choice but to only skate for myself so it's not the end of the world.

But don't worry I'm not done with skating, I'm done with competing, so you haven't seen the last of me. I will be back in another shape or form. 

Congratulations to him on all of the accomplishments he has achieved :10742289: I wish him all the best in his future endeavours :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

His FS at 4CC in 2013 is my favourite performance of his :tumblr_meh7vxvIUd1qdlkyg: Pure Happiness :tumblr_m9gcttgdYF1qzckow: Pure Joy:tumblr_inline_mzx8t1Yuvn1r8msi5:

8 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

It is hard to tell from this comment if Chris is feeling better than when he retired last time, but I hope he is, and I also hope he is proud of himself. I was happy to be able to see him competing again. He was one of the skaters who left strong impressions on me at the first international competition I watched in person, (He was impressive in the 4CC2013 SP as well, for his passion!) and he was one of a hand full of skaters among them who were still competing. I will miss him but am wishing him the best of luck in his future endeavor!

Guest turquoiseblue

A long and interesting interview with Loena Hendrickx, where she talks about her unusual name, how she tried quads and 3A, her coaching and training situations, the difference in figure skating between Europe and Russia, injuries, the age minimum, and more:

Loena Hendrickx: "Of course, age minimum should be raised. It's very cool when you have a long career like Liza Tuktamysheva. Do you know how inspiring is it?"

Her main goal at the Olympics :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

What result can you praise yourself for at the 2022 Olympics? Is there a specific goal in your head as a benchmark for success?

Loena Hendrickx: I think the main goal is to get an Olympic diploma. So if I get into the top 8, it will already be a great result for me. And if I also skate clean and can enjoy my performance, it will be something special.

Guest turquoiseblue

Lindsay Van Zundert has been confirmed to represent the Netherlands at the Olympics.  

Olympisch deelneemster Lindsay van Zundert wil de vlag dragen op de Winterspelen

Google translate

Remy de Wit, technical director of the KNSB, brought the good news to the figure skater from Etten-Leur in an online meeting on Wednesday. He was pleasantly surprised.

"I am very happy with this news. It was a long wait, but it was worth it," said Van Zundert, who immediately had a message for the Chef de Mission, Carl Verheijen. "It would be nice if I could carry the flag at the opening ceremony."

"The Netherlands is among the world's best in long track speed skating and short track speed skating. It's really great that we are now back on the highest stage in figure skating: the Olympic Games," says technical director De Wit. "Lindsay is a great talent, driven and focused. Her performance at the World Cup was very special and she can now follow this up herself in Beijing. That is great for Lindsay and the entire figure skating in the Netherlands."

It is the first time since 1976 that a Dutch figure skater is taking part in the Olympic Games. In Innsbruck, Dianne de Leeuw won a silver medal 45 years ago. The fact that the Netherlands is sending a figure skater is thanks to the 16th place that Lindsay van Zundert achieved in March at the World Championships in Stockholm, with a score of 174.50 points.