Miscellaneous Translations Compilation Thread

yuzuangel

1 hour ago, sweetwater said:

Translated the short interview with Yuzu after FS by Shuzo Matsuoka aired by Asahi:

Shuzo: We are welcoming Hanyu san here. To be honest, it felt more like your new beginning than your origin. Congratulations on winning this competition!

Hanyu: Thank you. Yes, I indeed feel that I finally made a new start.

Shuzo: What do you mean, "finally"?

Hanyu: Well, it had been really hard for me to win the first GP, so I feel that I finally made it. Of course, my first GPs in the past seasons often held in the first or second week of the series, but this year I had one or two more weeks to train so I consider that may have helped me to get this result.

Shuzo: You said you wanted to have fun while competing, but to be honest, I could not find a smile on your face when you finished your performance. You looked as if you were battling, battling with yourself.

Hanyu: It was indeed a battle today. Well, the Loop (4Lo) wasn't as good as I hoped, each of the other elements also had some problems, my feet were fatigued a bit, but I somehow fought through.

Shuzo: The jump sequence you did in the second half, 4T-3A, you landed it for the first time in the history. The audience got excited too.

Hanyu: But if it can't earn GOE, it's meaningless. Next time, I'll do my best to earn some GOE.

Shuzo: Um... could you be a little happy about it? You are doing something amazing.

Hanyu: But as artistic gymnast Kohei Uchimura often says, you have to nail it cleanly. In my mind, nailing it cleanly should be the start point... or what I would be able to call a success.

Shuzo: OK, direct what you feeling now to Cup of Russia. Again, congratulations! It was amazing! (Claps his hands)

Hanyu: (Bow and peace sign to the camera)

7 minutes ago, Tee said:

6 hours ago, Tee said:

4 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

On 11/15/2018 at 3:41 PM, tafattsbarn said:

On 11/15/2018 at 9:15 AM, tafattsbarn said:

Challenge: Kind Yuzu fans stop enabling me :68468287: 

I've been bopping to this song for a week now... It's not healthy haha, but thank you :tumblr_inline_mm2wbaeqQM1qz4rgp:

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 2:35 AM, Fay said:

You’ll find it hard to believe, but the Russian Lokomotiv football club executive director posted a message to his footballers saying they should emulate Yuzuru Hanyu... 

On 11/20/2018 at 9:08 AM, Fay said:

Translating the message now. 

“Yuzuru Hanyu has many personal fans all around the world. Huge numbers of fans from Japan travel following Hanyu to all his competitions. This overwhelming love doesn’t come from nowhere. And just his talent isn’t enough to explain it. 

Yesterday Hanyu emerged for the medal ceremony on crutches and proved not only his fantastic fighting spirit, but his immens respect to his fans, who give him their love in the form of Winnie the Poohs. It’s only the combination of talent and the fighting spirit which can make a talented athlete a legend. A champion can become a champion only by surmounting obstacles. We, the current Russian champions, should remember that. Yesterday Hanyu reminded us about it. I wish the Russian football team to overcome the obstacles and proceed onto the League of Nations!” 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fay said:

Inna Goncharenko about Yuzuru: 

https://www.sport-express.ru/figure-skating/reviews/figurnoe-katanie-final-gran-pri-anons-mnenie-eksperta-raspisanie-prognoz-1486702/

Question: The absence of Yuzuru Hanyu might make the others think that it’ll be easier now?

Goncharenko: the absence of the leader might lead to others bombing. When everyone’s competing, everyone’s more focused. The healthy Hanyu would have been a hot favourite. His programs aren’t well practised right now, at the start of the season, but seeing them is like seeing Mona Lisa. He’s truly dedicated himself to FS, and he’s a real pro in every aspect. It’s so regretful he’s been injured. I wish him a quick recovery and come back to the competition.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sweetwater said:

In Team Brian III, there is a chapter titled "チームブライアンのコミュニティ (Team Brian as a community)." When Brian and Tracy took on the job of being the head coaches at TCC, they have set a goal of making TCC a community, where everyone helps each other. In this chapter, he talks about how the community works, how each member of the community contributes, and there are words like this:

Rough Translation:
Our "Cricket Village" is working well. So in the village, skaters can focus on their training without worries. Even a top skater like Yuzuru, Javier, Yuna is just a skater inside the village. They can be themselves. Even when they performed terribly on their bad days, it will not be spread via SNS, even if they get injured, it will not be leaked out, because this place is a community.

Since we've seen some insider footage and reports in the past, there might not be a written rule about the skaters' privacy, but if this is what Brian (and other members of TCC) hope TCC to be, I want to respect it.
However, we may have to be nicer to the person who uploaded the video first because who would know that fans analyze a TCC-related video so passionately unless the person herself is a fellow fan? :68468287:

Not really sure how to post a particular post from another thread so I just put the relevant YT video. This was requested by @Dreamer.

Before I put the translation, I just put some background of this radio interview.

It was broadcasted in August 2013 (2013-2014 Olympic season) ANA World Air Current sponsored by ANA. Yuzu's got ANA sponsorship earlier that year and it was after the WC 2013 where Yuzu finished in 4th place bringing 3 spots for Japan for Sochi Olympics. He had to skate with twisted ankle and had to really put out everything to get to 4th place  (he was 9th place after sp).

The radio show is hosted by violinist/musician Taro Hakase. His insight as a musician gave this interview more depth in terms of questions that were asked. It is really interesting and I've enjoyed translating. I hope you guys enjoy reading it too :10742289:

Because it's rather long, I will divide into sections as that's more manageable when you read.

Part 1:  This is how it all began

Spoiler

Hakase:    What made you take up figure skating in the first place and how old were you at the time?

Yuzu:        I started skating when I was four years old

Hakase:    Oh I see

Yuzu:        My older sister started skating at an ice rink near our house at the time
Hakase:    Yes

Yuzu:        And I was rather close with my sister so I was following my sister there

Hakase:    What’s the age difference between you and your sister?

Yuzu:        About 4 and a half

Yuzu:        When my sister got on a bike, I got on a tricycle and followed her

Hakase:    Ah ha

Yuzu:        So it happened that way therefore I wasn’t wanting to skate really but

Hakase:    Perhaps the biggest reason (that you’d started figure skating) was that you just wanted to be around your sister?

Yuzu:        Yes that’s right. Because I like baseball a lot, since I was a little, I always wanted to play baseball

Yuzu:        But somehow, when I realised, I had taken up figure skating instead

Hakase:    Oh I see. And you’re from Sendai, Miyagi

Yuzu:        Yes

Hakase:    Is figure skating popular in Sendai?

Yuzu:        Well…it is said that the place (Sendai) is where figure skating first dawned in Japan

Hakase:    Oh I never knew that

Yuzu:        And skaters such as Arakawa-san and Honda-san

Hakase:    Everyone?

Yuzu:        Yes, everyone skated there

Hakase:    Is that so

Yuzu:        And my sister seems to have some memories of Arakawa-san and Honda-san had been skating at the same ice rink as we were

Hakase:    Oh~~

Yuzu:        But I was too young so don’t really remember

Hakase:    Have you never thought of quitting (skating)?

Yuzu:        Actually I’ve thought about it a lot of times

Hakase:    LOL

Yuzu:        LOL

Hakase:    And conversely, can you see the clear reason why you didn’t quit?

Yuzu:        I know now

Hakase:    Oh

Yuzu:        After all, I love skating. When you challenge difficult things then succeed it, the feeling of achievement you get is tremendous. It is clear to see if you have succeeded or not when you look at the things like jumps and so on.

Yuzu:        I love the feeling when learning techniques and mastering them one by one so I came to realise that the biggest reason why I love skating may be that

Hakase:    I understand

Part 2: Skating is part of his daily life (and playing games)

Spoiler

Hakase:    You don’t mind me saying this but when you play RPG (game)

Yuzu:        Yes yes

Hakase:    When you reach to a difficult stage, you feel the drive that you want to break through

Yuzu:        That’s true. You really work hard towards raising your (character’s) level

Hakase:    You raise your level and try to smash it then when you clear the stage/mission you go “Booyah!”

Yuzu:        That’s right

Hakase:    I can say it’s the same for playing a musical instrument

Hakase:    I’ve been frequently asked “You do enjoy practicing the violin, don’t you?” and I reply I love playing the violin but I can confidently say that nobody really likes practicing it

Yuzu:        I agree but we do love live stage (competition), don’t we?

Hakase:    Yes yes yes. That’s it

Yuzu:        LOL

Hakase:    Practice is…

Yuzu:        Hard, isn’t it? I used to hate it too at the very beginning

Yuzu:        Since I was a little, occasions like school play or something, I was the type who wants to be the protagonist

Hakase:    LOL so you wanted to be the centre of attention

Hakase:    Since you’re young

Yuzu:        As you know, in figure skating, you get to skate in that big ice rink all by yourself

Hakase:    LOL (clapping hands)

Yuzu:        So indeed I loved competitions but hated practice. However, when I was in 4th grade, the ice rink I used to train was closed down

Yuzu:        So, when I couldn’t practice then I realised that practice is really important. Also after the earthquake, the same ice rink had closed down again. As a result, there was this period that I couldn’t skate. By going through that period and finding myself in the situation that I couldn’t skate, it made me realise the importance of practice and furthermore, I’ve experienced the true joy of practicing (when I could practice again) few times

Hakase:    I get you. After all, you’ve started at the age of four

Hakase:    Skating has become like eating meals every day

Yuzu:        It has

Hakase:    That kind of sense

Yuzu:        In a way, it becomes rhythm

Hakase:    That becomes a part of your rhythm so when that’s taken away, you’d feel you don’t know that to do

Part 3: His idol and R & J for Sochi

Spoiler

Hakase:    By the way, do you have any athletes that you adored when you’re young?

Yuzu:        It is an athlete called Evgeni Plushenko

Hakase:    Yes?

Yuzu:        He’s a Russian athlete and is over 30 years old by now but he’s declared this year that he’s aiming for Sochi Olympics

Yuzu:        So it is possible that we are going to compete at the Olympics but I feel rather nervous about it

Hakase:    Oh is that so but you’re also excited, aren’t you?

Yuzu:        Of course I am

Hakase:    You’re going to compete with your idol, it must be exciting

Yuzu:        Yes. The success rate of his jumps is really high. He doesn’t make mistakes at all

Hakase:    Ah ha

Yuzu:        And don’t make mistakes with jumps means when you think about the fact that we skate with the music

Hakase:    Yes

Yuzu:        It means the skating continues with music without disruption

Hakase:    I see

Yuzu:        We can say, if you fall after a jump, the story temporarily pauses there

Yuzu:        But he (Plushenko) skates continuously and seamlessly (without a fall)

Yuzu:        His ability, the way he skates is my idea of skating which I’d like to aim for

Hakase:    When you talk about music (in figure skating), a lot of different music such as classic or ballet are used

Hakase:    This time you’ve chosen the music from Romeo & Juliette again but with different pieces to the previous ones. What is your attachment to Romeo & Juliette?

Yuzu:        Let me see…for me this Romeo & Juliet, however the music is not the same one but I’ve skated to the music with a program in the same year that the earthquake disaster happened

Yuzu:        Also for me the Olympics is the biggest event in 4 year span so I’d like to think it is a compilation of things (that I had experienced during the period)

Yuzu:        The year of the earthquake was the season I won a bronze medal at the world championships so I want to bring the memories from that year with me to the Olympics and that’s why I’ve decided to skate (to R&J) again

Part 4: Moving to TCC

Spoiler

Hakase:    In spring last year, you have relocated to Toronto, Canada to an overseas place where you train now

Yuzu:        Yes. It wasn’t like “I must go to Canada” but rather I wanted to move to a place where I could find someone who I could have friendly competition with

Hakase:    You mean a rival?

Yuzu:        Yes. Say, there’s an athlete who does quad jumps or triple axel. When you practice, sometimes you’re a bit bored or want to skip but then you see someone like that athlete, you will be inspired and get stimulated therefore being encouraged to carry on. I mean I wanted to be in that kind of environment

Hakase:    And you’ve found that guy in Toronto

Yuzu:        Yes, he was there

Hakase:    But of course, it’s to do with the coach as well

Yuzu:        Yes of course. The fact that the coach who trained the athlete was there is the reason of my moving to the place. For this occasion, I have considered both, the athlete and the coach for choosing my training place

Hakase:    So that coach is Mr Brian Orser, right?

Hakase:    What kind of person is he?

Yuzu:        Ah how do I say… he is well organised. Very well organised

Hakase:    Oh

Yuzu:        Needless to say, he’s good at teaching jumps and an excellent teacher of fundamental techniques

Hakase:    Does he teach methodologically?

Yuzu:        Yes. But he’s also really good in mental controls

Hakase:    Mental side of things

Yuzu:        For example, when I’m really nervous or focused too much, he would make me laugh or when I’m not focused, it’s not a kick on the back side but

Yuzu:        He’d give me a (mental) slap then I’d be able to snap out to set my mind to refocus

Yuzu:        Though we communicate in English, I can really tell that he’s trying to lead me into the right mind set

Hakase:    Well indeed I know the mental side plays a huge part

Yuzu:        Yes it does

Part 5: Training for 120%

Spoiler

Hakase:    So in terms of the things you can do in practice, what percentage do you think you can perform in your actual competition?

Yuzu:        In my own theory, if you do 120% in practice then you do 100% at a competition and that’s fine

Hakase:    Sure indeed

Yuzu:        Some may say it’ll be fine to just do 80% at a competition but I think there’s no point if you can’t do 100% at a competition. However, if you just do 100% at training, you won’t progress any further. The 100% becomes the limit but the purpose of training is to go beyond that limit. If you try to go over your limit and raise the limit higher and try to go beyond that again, then you just do at your limit at the time of a competition

Hakase:    Let’s see…however, can we say, to achieve 120%, spending a long time for isn’t the way to do it, is this right?

Hakase:    So it comes down to how you train

Yuzu:        It all depends on the skater’s personality

Hakase:    Hmm

Yuzu:        Also, gender is rather important as well. This is particularly more so for ladies but we (skaters?) gain weight easily. And we train in cold environment that seem to add to that as well

Hakase:    Umm

Yuzu:        So if you gain body weight, it would affect your jumps and because of that reason, I believe there are many female skaters tend to spend longer time at training

Yuzu:        On contrary for male skaters, they tend to compact all practice into one and do it with everything they’ve got

Hakase:    I see that’s why they spend shorter time

Yuzu:        Yes, they do

Hakase:    They train in full throttle

Yuzu:        Yes. Especially for me, in terms of short training time, when I was in Sendai, during some period, I used to train only 45 minutes or so

Hakase:    Per day?

Hakase:    But you pour everything into that 45 minutes

Yuzu:        Yes. Within 45 minutes, I did training for building stamina about 20 minutes then jump training for all jumps so that I can jump all of them. Indeed, I’ve done everything

Yuzu:        Then I’d review the points that my coach had told me. I do this often, for example if the coach told me that my arm position at taking off is too low then I try concentrate on them not at taking off but at the turn just before the take off

Hakase:    To understand what’s going on

Yuzu:        Yes. That sort of things matters to me

Hakase:    That makes sense. It’s amazing and is indeed interesting

Yuzu:        Not at all (TN: typical Japanese expression!). The most difficult part is that you have to dance with the music

Yuzu:        And not just that, you also have to express emotions as much as you possibly can while you’re calmly concentrating on jumps

Hakase:    Well, playing music is also like that

Hakase:    When you’re in the middle of emotions, you really can’t play instruments. LOL

Yuzu:        I agree

Hakase:    Hahaha

Yuzu:        Then people do notice that kind of things, especially coaches

Hakase:    You’re really into it and in the middle of emotions and all but then your legs aren’t working hard

Yuzu:        Indeed

Yuzu:        It happens quite often

Hakase:    Well that’s a balancing act as you’re thinking the both at the same time so it is difficult, isn’t it?

Yuzu:        Yes, it is hard

Hakase:    By the way, are there many skaters coming to Mr Orser for training?

Yuzu:        Yes quite a few nowadays. But the ice rink is specialized for figure skating so

Yuzu:        In Japan, ice rinks have more restrictions as ice hockey team or speed skaters also train there

Yuzu:        Usually, time available is more limited. But our (TCC) rink is specialized for figure skating so from small children, and people including me, and people like ice dancers or skaters who no longer able to do jumps and also elderly ladies come to skate there. To cater for all these people’s needs, there are many different classes/plans available.

Part 6: Toronto and Yuzu

Spoiler

Hakase:    What is your typical day when you’re in Toronto?

Yuzu:        I’m a real indoor type, pretty much

Yuzu:        Indeed. I get up not too early in the morning then around midday I start training. Then after that, I do have uni studies as well so I do online learning on my PC then play some games and go to sleep. It is rather important for me to play games some time in a day

Yuzu:        To relax my brain

Hakase:    Of course you do

Yuzu:        And when you’re concentrating on something you’re interested is the time you feel refreshed and that’s a good thing. That’s my understanding

Yuzu:        Haha

Hakase:    Have you visited Toronto previously before you’re moved?

Yuzu:        Never

Hakase:    Is that so

Yuzu:        I’d been to Canada once but it was a place in French Canada

Hakase:    Was it like Montreal?

Yuzu:        Yes. I didn’t know initially what kind of country Canada is

Hakase:    Indeed. French-spoken province like Quebec

Hakase:    When you compare Montreal and Toronto, the atmosphere of the two is totally different

Yuzu:        Yes. I’ve been to Quebec once

Hakase:    I know Quebec.

Yuzu:        I felt Quebec had rather European atmosphere

Hakase:    Yes indeed

Yuzu:        Toronto is altogether different feel

Hakase:    Kind of American feel

Hakase:    It is a big city as well

Yuzu:        Yes, it is

Hakase:    But the air is clear

Hakase:    Comfortable living there, isn’t it?

Yuzu:        Yes, it’s comfortable. Around this time of the year, the weather is dry and temperature is cool as well. But it is cold in winter time

Hakase:    Indeed, it’s bitter cold. You have been to many places with your competition assignments

Hakase:    But actually living there is very different compared to just visiting. Do you feel that?

Yuzu:        I think it is totally different but for me because I can’t speak English so well, I don’t really go out

Hakase:    Ah yes

Yuzu:        Niagara Falls is very close to Toronto but I haven’t visited though I’ve been living there for a year now

Hakase:    It becomes that way because you live very close to something that makes you think that you can visit there anytime

Hakase:    It is the same that you won’t visit Tokyo Tower if you lived in Tokyo
Yuzu:        I think so

Yuzu:        Same goes for going overseas with a competition that we don’t really go sightseeing there

Yuzu:        Having said that, for this season, I have one assignment in France and since my last year’s program was the one with music from Notre Dame du Paris the musical

Yuzu:        I’d love to visit the Notre Dame cathedral since the musical was based around there

Part 7: Rice - the Japanese soul food

Spoiler

Hakase:    Do you have anything that you think about when you’re outside of Japan?

Yuzu:        Ah I do feel a lot more appreciation for Japanese food

Hakase:    That’s very true

Yuzu:        Especially for an athlete’s perspective, it is very important to maintain dietary requirements and it does make me feel Japan is very lucky in that sense

Hakase:    Yes, I think we’re at the world number one

Yuzu:        I agree

Yuzu:        When I go to a competition, I have to take some Japanese food with me or I’d get depressed

Hakase:    Ah that is so true. I cook rice every day in London too. LOL. You ain’t Japanese if you don’t eat rice!

Yuzu:        Yes. We cook Koshi-hikari rice in Toronto too

Hakase:    Talk about Japanese, there are lot of Japanese in Toronto, aren’t there?

Yuzu:        I’d say more Chinese and Korean

Hakase:    Nowadays there are more of them

Yuzu:        Many more

Yuzu:        In Vancouver or Seattle, there are many Japanese

Hakase:    Yes, it is so

Yuzu:        But in Toronto, people speaking Korean and Chinese everywhere

Hakase:    Yes, that’s true

Yuzu:        But unlike in Russia, because more Asian population, I can blend in easily and I think that’s a good thing

Yuzu:        Yes

Hakase:    Looking back this past year, what has it been for you?

Yuzu:        Well it’s been very difficult especially for communication

Yuzu:        As I have never spent so much time in English speaking country before, it’s been hard because I still don’t know how to use English language

Hakase:    It also takes rather long time before your ear (brain) starting to pick up certain sounds as words

Yuzu:        That’s my case…

Yuzu:        It’s really…lol but now, I’m starting to express more what I want to say

Yuzu:        It is easier for me now mentally that I can understand what people say

Yuzu:        It’s been very difficult for the past year but now I’m enjoying it

Part 8: Ice quality and skating order

Spoiler

Hakase:    About one or two years ago, that was my first time went to an ice rink and watched figure skating live. That’s the first time for me

Yuzu:        Oh was it so?

Hakase:    When you watch it on TV, with music and some beautiful sound of blades shaving ice. But in live, sounds quite noisy and very forceful

Yuzu:        Yes, it gets quite loud. When we do jumps like quads, it depends on the type of jumps but when we do toe jumps it gets especially loud

Yuzu:        You won’t know unless you actually go and watch it live

Hakase:    Yes indeed. I think it will add to the fact that they’re doing awesome things, indeed. And the ice rink is quite huge

Yuzu:        Ah yes, it is big

Hakase:    Also it’s cold

Yuzu:        It is cold

Hakase:    I thought so

Yuzu:        Yes, it’s cold, very cold

Hakase:    It is, isn’t it?

Yuzu:        Some of the ice rinks gets really freezing cold

Hakase:    Does the condition differ from place to place?

Yuzu:        Yes, it differs quite a bit. The ice condition differs as well. It could get soft or hard

Hakase:    It must be so

Yuzu:        Also, sometimes the ice surface gets so soft. It is especially for an ice rink being built temporarily in a sports center where the ice is freshly made, the ice condition that I often feel is the one that is not well compacted

Hakase:    So it differs quite a bit whether the ice is easy or hard to skate on

Yuzu:        Yes and also it depends on the feel of the place as well

Hakase:    Ah that’s true, very true

Yuzu:        LOL. It matters to me

Hakase:    Does it differ from country to country like in Canada to Russia?

Yuzu:        Yes it does. I believe the quality of water (hard or soft) would make a lot of difference

Hakase:    Of course it would. Different water makes different ice

Yuzu:        Yes. I believe it gets totally different. But we just have to adopt to a particular condition of the place

Yuzu:        That is precisely why I don’t want to be fussy. I’d rather like to raise my ability (to adapt to any condition)

Hakase:    Let me ask this, when someone skates, it will create traces on the ice

Hakase:    And that is just a usual thing for skating, right?

Hakase:    You do skate on them and does it bother you?

Yuzu:        Umm the jumps I mentioned earlier that the one using the toe, not those but the jumps without using toe is especially riskier. It’s because sometimes the blade’s edge gets stuck in a trace line

Hakase:    So it gets caught in there

Yuzu:        Yes. When that happens, it is quite troublesome. You cannot jump or rather, your blade cannot escape from the dent before you jump so you could fall in an unnatural way that could hurt you

Hakase:    I see so if you skate first it’s better

Hakase:    Of course there are a lot of pressure but

Yuzu:        Yes, there are

Hakase:    As for the ice condition, it is an advantage (to skate first)

Yuzu:        I’d think so

Hakase:    We may say so because the ice is clean and haven’t been skated on

Yuzu:        Yes, however, we have 6 minutes warm up before the actual performance

Hakase:    Ah I know they do it in a group

Yuzu:        We do it within 6 minutes in full throttle

Hakase:    To warm up your body

Yuzu:        And we have quite a lot of things that we need to go over like we have 6 different types of jumps

Yuzu:        Aside from jumps, there are also spins and steps that need to be checked so within that 6 minutes, maybe 5 minutes can be spent on jumps

Yuzu:        And if you skate first, you will have no time to rest in between and that means you only have 4 minutes or so. That makes it harder and so in general, it is better to skate second in order

Hakase:    Or third?

Hakase:    Those are better in skating order

Yuzu:        We could say so

Hakase:    That must be so because if you skate later, the body that warmed up would get colder by then

Yuzu:        Yes it does

Yuzu:        In skating, I’d say that’s the hardest part to deal with

Hakase:    Ah huh

Yuzu:        That is what I think

Part 9: Pure skating moment

Spoiler

Hakase:    When you’re skating, was there a time when you were able to skate purely without thinking anything?

Yuzu:        Ah huh

Hakase:    I ask this because not always but sometimes when I’m on stage, I find myself not at all playing but more like I become one with the audience

Hakase:    That’s when I’m at the best of the best

Hakase:    It is almost like looking at it from the above. It only happens once in a blue moon but there’s a time like that and I’d say the best performance happens when it’s like that

Hakase:    Do you have an experience like that?

Yuzu:        I too can see myself when I’m at the best condition

Hakase:    Ah

Yuzu:        I see everything. I can see it one by one in slow motion. And if I jump with tilted axis, I can fix it with my own hand

Hakase:    Like “There you go”

Yuzu:        Yes, yes

Hakase:    Hahahaha

Yuzu:         Like “There!”

Hakase:    There! Indeed. LOL. But it doesn’t happen that often, does it?

Yuzu:        Once in every few years or so

Hakase:    LOL. Yes, that is so true

Yuzu:        And sometimes that happens in a practice

Yuzu:        LOL. I’m like “Can you come back in a competition?”

Hakase:    I know, that supposed to happen in an actual competition

Yuzu:        Yes, that’s what I feel

Yuzu:        But the images or senses I feel when I’m like that (at the best condition)

Hakase:    You try to remember them

Yuzu:        I’d like to keep them with me

Hakase:    Because there must be something that had prompted that good condition

Hakase:    Something must have happened then

Yuzu:        Also, I have clear memories about the things like the daily routine or the scenes at that time

Yuzu:        It works like a jinx

Hakase:    Ah so you use it like a good luck charm

Hakase:    I can see that is quite natural to start thinking that way

Yuzu:        I believe so

Part 10: What's behind the scary door

Spoiler

Hakase:    Umm do you have anything that you do to help concentrating before competition?

Yuzu:        I do have sort of good luck rituals

Hakase:    What do you do?

Yuzu:        Things like put on a shoe on the right first

Hakase:    Put on the right shoe first!

Yuzu:        Definitely I always put on the right one first

Hakase:    Ah I see. Anything else?

Yuzu:        And after I enter into the rink, I move my hand like a cross in front of the body to go over the things I need to do

Yuzu:        The things I’ve always been told to watch

Yuzu:        I do the movements to remind myself of those things. Hehe. At one point, because it looked like making a cross so people said it’s a religious gesture but that had nothing to do with a religion

Hakase:    That’s just your own thing

Yuzu:        Yes. It really is my thing that starts at entering a competition venue, after my name’s been called, I stretch my knees then go

Hakase:    Yes

Yuzu:        Out on the rink, I get cheered by everyone then the place falls silent, I then do the movements and it’s time for the real thing!

Hakase:    You are at the entrance

Yuzu:        Yes indeed. There are definitely routines or rituals I do then

Hakase:    Well everyone has something like that

Hakase:    And the place, that is a stage for me and a rink for you, is out of the ordinary place because it exists so far away from your daily life

Yuzu:        Yes, it is

Hakase:    I’d say it is rather scary just before you jump in or entre into it, I mean the moment you open the door

Yuzu:        Yes, it is scary

Hakase:    Isn’t it uncomfortable?

Hakase:    However, it is fun. After going through the door, something very exciting is waiting, I know that but at the entrance, I feel nervous and it’s a heart stopping moment, don’t you think

Yuzu:        Yes. The feeling I dread the most is just before the music starts when the whole place becomes quiet, you know?

Hakase:    Yes. LOL

Yuzu:        I really hate that moment’s atmosphere

Yuzu:        Like “Here it comes!”

Hakase:    Indeed, but you know that everyone will applaud afterwards so you do it

Yuzu:        Yes, I do but

Hakase:    I do but I hate it

Yuzu:        Like “Here comes that feeling again!”

Hakase:    I hate it

Yuzu:        It makes me out of breath and I get so nervous, don’t you?

Hakase:    Agree

Yuzu:        However, it is fun after that moment

Hakase:    It is fun after that point, however

Part 11: Sochi Olympics

Spoiler

Hakase:    And now it is Sochi Olympics this winter!

Yuzu:        Yes, indeed Sochi Olympics is a really big event for me

Yuzu:        Olympics is my childhood dream so

Yuzu:        I have been working really hard towards realizing the dream so I really want to be there

Hakase:    Of course

Yuzu:        And to get a good result, that’s what I’d hope

Hakase:    I’d hope so too

Hakase:    Then there’s a competition as the selection process of the Olympics to represent for Japan

Yuzu:        To get the spot, we had to work really hard at the last championships and we’ve managed to get 3 spots for Japan at the Olympics

Yuzu:        But right now, competition in Japanese men’s singles is so severe that it makes me feel it is only 3 who gets to go

Hakase:    Yes but you just have to believe in yourself that you get to go

Yuzu:        LOL Yes, it’s true. Leading up to that point, I’d like to complete competitions one at a time with care

Yuzu:        I believe, from then on, I aim for the Olympics so I don’t need to fixate only on the Olympics

Yuzu:        Therefore I’d like to pay my full attention for each competition

Hakase:    Yes. Anyway, I’m really praying for you

Yuzu:        Hehehe

Yuzu:        Yes. Thank you

Hakase:    It’s probably not just me but I believe everyone is cheering for you

Hakase:    Also, I believe there’s definitely some kind of energy in people’s cheering so consider that as well

Yuzu:        Yes. I feel that is a very big part

Hakase:    I believe in you so please do your best

Yuzu:        Yes. Thank you

Part 12: Skate for life

Spoiler

Hakase:    And finally to you Hanyu san, what does going or living abroad mean for your life?

Yuzu:        To me, I feel it is the place where I find something for my life

Hakase:    I see

Yuzu:        As I get older and one day when I’m much older and after I stopped skating then if I go on a journey

Yuzu:        I would like to find something for my life there

Hakase:    You would

Yuzu:        That’s what I like

Hakase:    I see

Yuzu:        And my life would probably include skating so perhaps I’d be able to find something to do with skating there

Hakase:    Yes. Perhaps

Yuzu:        I think so

Hakase:    I believe the skating will stay with you till the very end

Hakase:    That is the kind of life that you’ve chosen

Hakase:    Therefore, there’s no need to part from that

Hakase:    Even if you don’t actually skate, there will be plenty of other things that you can do for the sake of figure skating

Yuzu:        Yes. Having said that, I feel really fortunate to be born into this body of mine, and live my life steadily and fully. Though it’s only been 18 years that I’ve been living

Yuzu:        But I really do think that

Listening to the radio interview, both Yuzu and Hakase-san were having so much fun laughing together. I also felt Hakase-san's genuine affection towards Yuzu and his words of praying for Yuzu warmed my heart:img_21:

I hope I didn't make mistakes on copy and paste but if you spot something strange, please let me know. :oops:

Enjoy!!:10742289:

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BWOZWaltz said:

Yuzu's high school (Y12) teacher Nakatsugawa sensei on Yuzu's ability to seek out answers by himself.

Nakatsugawa: As I've been teaching for years, I can pretty much tell straightway by just looking at someone if the person can put in the hard work or not. (So when I saw Yuzuru) I could imagine that he'd be able to get closer to the world number one.

Narrator: Nakatsugawa sensei is specialised in mental training. One day he asked Hanyu if he needed any help in mental training and the answer shocked him.

Nakatsugawa: He replied "I'll train by thinking by myself and put my own try and error effort into find the way" Hearing that, I was sure that Yuzuru was  aiming for his goal using his own way of thinking and making effort towards achieving it.

Narrator: Yes. His ability to work things out by himself is in the foundation of his success.

Nakatsugawa: Making necessary adjustments by try and error is the ability to work things out. Yuzuru was brilliant at that. Nowadays, the ability to think things out by yourself is really hard to come by. 

Narrator: So how did Hanyu put that ability into help him in figure skating.

The second part is told by Tsuzuki sensei.

Narrator: Tsuzuki sensei is one of the mentors who taught Hanyu in the early days. He'd taught Hanyu when he's 8.

Tsuzuki: Yuzuru possessed brilliant mental abilities since he's quite young. Out of the abilities, his sensitivity was off the chart.

Narrator: His acute sensitivity had prompted his development with a help from a big shot athlete.

Tsuzuki: Yuzuru watched numerous videos of Plushenko performing since he's young. I'd imagine Yuzuru had immersed himself in those videos and explored Plushenko's movements and expressions that way.

Narrator: His admiration for his idol didn't end there. He used that to think and help his own development. For example, one of Plushenko's signature move - Biellmann spin which is an element that is hard for male skater to perform. Hanyu had worked out by himself what to do to master the skill and had achieved it.

Tsuzuki: Yuzuru was a kind of child who sees something, he'd feel and get something from it then he can put that into an actual thing. I believe that's one of the factors that had promoted his rich growth.

****** :img_21::tumblr_inline_nhkezmeBaq1qid2nw::img_20:

Yuzu is a skater with insane talent who can put incredible amount of thoughts into many things. He gets inspirations and try to put that into the actual thing by working out how to achieve it. I already knew he's one of a kind but he's truly amazing... 

15 hours ago, BWOZWaltz said:

I've also seen an article with Tsuzuki sensei talking about Yuzu and 4A. His words about Yuzu being at the edge of becoming the first man to land 4A. 

https://www.jiji.com/jc/article?k=2018122800778&g=spo

Rough translation:

I don't know what's his thought about  me telling an axel jump being the king of jumps but he is exerting himself to jump a quad axel so I believe he is at the last part of the course and the culmination of his figure skating life. I feel he is standing on the edge of becoming or not becoming the first man to land four and a half revolution.

It is inevitable for him to one day hang up his skating boots. I really hope Yuzu to fulfil as much dreams as possible before he finally says good bye to his competitive skating days. But considering his ankle and everything else, it is not for us to decide when is that time. 

Thank you for your translations, @BWOZWaltz:img_21:

• 2 weeks later...

Find this one by @Fay while I was cleaning up the GYC:

On 6/5/2017 at 11:37 AM, Fay said:

Oh sorry, I’m keeping a promise I gave such a long time ago to translate what Mishin and Gachinsky said about Yuzu around the time of 2017 World Championship. I apologise it took me so long.

Mishin: So after the short program he put out an expert opinion that Yuzuru Hanyu was like a panther who has never been to a ballet class and who has no idea what battement tandu or port de bras are (unlike Javier Fernandez who seems to be a classical ballet dancer). https://www.kommersant.ru/doc/3259927

After Yuzu’s phenomenal free skate, Mishin said that Yuzuru skated like never before in his life. “I have such a concept ‘zakidonshik’ (don’t ask me what that that means – there’s no such word in Russian dictionaries, but it does have to do with “закидать/закинуть” – throw) which first appeared in my vocabulary when I was 15. In Helsinki, “zakidonshik” Hanyu showed us an unprecedented skate. I wonder when the others will be able to do something similar” http://stadium.ru/news/02-04-2017-aleksei-mishin-kolyada-i-kovtun-doljni-libo-osvoit-dopolnitelnie-chetvernie-prijki-libo-otdat-flag-v-ruki-drugih

Gachinsky: Hanyu proved that he’s No.1 in current men’s figure skating. “If Yuzuru goes out, all the others are defeated (lit. remain lying down). They can’t keep up with him, because when Yuzuru does his quads with such lightness, such flow, such an attack, he get +2/+3 GOE. He’s certainly the one to beat!.. Yuzuru was phenomenal in his free skate” http://sporteveryday.info/pages/gachinskiy-odinochniki-rasshirili-ramki-figurnogo-kataniya-na-chm-v-helsinki/

The translation is rather free and approximate - too many possible shades of meaning in some cases, and the printed text doesn't allow deciphering those.

3 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Transcript of Jack Gallagher's interview with Tsuzuki-sensei starting at 10:30.

Everything typed out in verbatim as I heard it. Feel free to correct any mistakes.

Reveal hidden contents

You can tell how much of Tsuzuki-sensei's philosophy and vision has shaped and molded Yuzu's own vision of figure skating.... Also, his love of Russia :10814716:.

From Russia with Love being his 1st program as a competitor and choreographed by Tsuzuki-sensei makes a lot of sense now. :tumblr_inline_mqt4grU8ua1qz4rgp:

I'm bringing this here so that it won't get buried in the General Yuzu Chat. Thank you for the transcript kaeryth!

1 hour ago, ICeleste said:

Here's what I could understand from basically reading Javi's lips lol 

(After Sochi footage) Javi: You have to have... a lot of strength, I think. Yuzu’s very strong and he's a guy who can never give up. He always tries to achieve new things and overcome new challenges/trials (...) and when faced with difficult competitions, he’s always tried to fight.

(About seeing Yuzu’s 2014 Olympic plaque every day) It gives you a little bit of envy.

(About Worlds 2015) J: I think Yuzu was very sad because he wanted to win but at the same time, he even told me that he was very happy to see me there. (...) 

(About the months before PC) J: I didn’t see him much. 

"Who was your rival going into Pyeongchang?" J: Yuzuru. My rival was Yuzuru, always. I knew that if I did a perfect program I could compete against Shoma and Nathan very easily. But whenever Yuzuru skated perfectly he’s always received higher scores than me.

(ref to OLYS Seimei) J: I haven't seen this program. (After Yuzu landed 3Lo) Very good *smiles brightly*. (during the chsq) Even though he must be very tired for sure, he looks well. 

(after Yuzuru’s Oly LP) J: I knew he had skated well but I didn’t focus on that.

(”You are so bad” moment) “What were you talking about?” J: At first, I congratulated Yuzuru and Shoma for their medals and I told them it had been an honour to compete with them. And then I said that this probably had been my last competiton alongside them. (...) And that’s why Yuzu told me “You are so bad” (smiles even brighter than before). It was a beautiful moment. 

J: When the time comes for him to retire, I hope he feels proud of the story he’s had but above all, that his name will be remembered/engraved (?) in figure skating and hopefully, mine too. 

I rewatched like 5 times and that’s all I could catch... It’s a shame when nuances get lost in SPA>JPN>ENG translation.