K-drama & co

Yatagarasu

On 5/1/2019 at 1:22 PM, Louitunes said:

What is it with KDrama endings this year.  Much as I loved "Kill It" and "He Is Psychometric" .... The endings!!!!

Am cheering myself up by marathoning and rewatching, yet again, the delightfully gorgeous Park Seo-Joon in "Witch's Romance".  Gotta love a noona romance and this is one of the best. 

My mental balance has been restored!

Okay, so for some reason viki was acting up while I was watching K2.  It must have been spazzing out from the shower scene, because I couldn't watch past a certain episode.  So I put that series on hold for a while (as I wait for my copy to ship in to me.... don't judge me! :8788161:)

I ended up watching "He is Psychometric" while I've been waiting, and I actually really, really liked it, even the ending.

Spoiler

I don't know how, but I saw the twist coming around maybe the fifth or sixth episode, when we saw that one flashback scene of young Kang telling his mother to listen and do exactly what he told her to do.  I thought to myself, "What if he is the one who killed them and set the fire?  We never actually saw the guy's face."  I had the reason totally wrong, though; I thought maybe he was trying to kill his father.  And I never actually expected this series to go that way.  I thought it would be much too dark for a show that started out comically, with Lee Ahn seeing panty sizes....

But I actually kind of liked the darkness.  There was no purely happy ending here.  The whole series was bittersweet.  It was such a tangled web of so many different circumstances, all coming together at the wrong time to cause the tragedy at the apartment building, and almost everyone (except for the young generation of Lee Ahn, Yoon Jae In, and their friends) was guilty in some sense of making the tragedy worse.  For almost every character in the series, I could feel a bit of empathy... except Kang Geun Taek.  He was just a psycho!  I am glad the main characters managed to get justice, although it is justice on such painful terms.

The biggest part I wished was different was Eun Ji Soo's death....  She was such a great character.  It worked with the plot, it made sense, and I don't necessarily need all my favorite characters to live all the time when they were obviously rushing blindly into dangerous situations... but it was still really sad to lose her.

Overall, I really liked this show and I'll most likely be watching it again.  I've always loved shows with psychometric characters, for some reason, but there aren't a lot of good ones out there.  I think I'd classify this one as a really good one.  I'm glad I stuck through the slightly strange, off-kilter humor in the beginning of the first episode, because that almost put me off.

3 hours ago, ralucutzagy said:

I do and I so like it! :smiley-char023: I'm Park Min Young's fan since Healer and ofc What's wrong with secretary Kim was brilliant! She's great! :tumblr_inline_mi7tcqZmot1qdlkyg:

I like Park Min Young, but feel her chemistry was better with Park Seo-Joon in "What's Wrong with Secretary Kim".  Seo-Joon :tumblr_inline_mqt4gvxxtJ1qz4rgp: is my favourite actor ...love him in just about everything.  Who can forget his reaction to a 'female' Ji Sung in "Kill Me Heal Me" or his vulnerability in "Fight My Way".

Loved Kim Jae-Wook in "Coffee Prince" and "Antique".  Think it's the long hair!  He's so beautiful...Latte brings a smile to my face.  Am so glad he got a lead role at last.

4 hours ago, dheu said:

Okay, so for some reason viki was acting up while I was watching K2.  It must have been spazzing out from the shower scene, because I couldn't watch past a certain episode.  So I put that series on hold for a while (as I wait for my copy to ship in to me.... don't judge me! :8788161:)

I ended up watching "He is Psychometric" while I've been waiting, and I actually really, really liked it, even the ending.

Hide contents

I don't know how, but I saw the twist coming around maybe the fifth or sixth episode, when we saw that one flashback scene of young Kang telling his mother to listen and do exactly what he told her to do.  I thought to myself, "What if he is the one who killed them and set the fire?  We never actually saw the guy's face."  I had the reason totally wrong, though; I thought maybe he was trying to kill his father.  And I never actually expected this series to go that way.  I thought it would be much too dark for a show that started out comically, with Lee Ahn seeing panty sizes....

But I actually kind of liked the darkness.  There was no purely happy ending here.  The whole series was bittersweet.  It was such a tangled web of so many different circumstances, all coming together at the wrong time to cause the tragedy at the apartment building, and almost everyone (except for the young generation of Lee Ahn, Yoon Jae In, and their friends) was guilty in some sense of making the tragedy worse.  For almost every character in the series, I could feel a bit of empathy... except Kang Geun Taek.  He was just a psycho!  I am glad the main characters managed to get justice, although it is justice on such painful terms.

The biggest part I wished was different was Eun Ji Soo's death....  She was such a great character.  It worked with the plot, it made sense, and I don't necessarily need all my favorite characters to live all the time when they were obviously rushing blindly into dangerous situations... but it was still really sad to lose her.

Overall, I really liked this show and I'll most likely be watching it again.  I've always loved shows with psychometric characters, for some reason, but there aren't a lot of good ones out there.  I think I'd classify this one as a really good one.  I'm glad I stuck through the slightly strange, off-kilter humor in the beginning of the first episode, because that almost put me off.

Confession time.....I was so upset about the ending I haven't fully watched it - just skipped. I think I must go back n rewatch.  

Spoiler

I thought a young Kang had maybe started the fire to cover their tracks when leaving not realising the severity of his actions but I thought his father had killed the women.  This action places him in the same mould as his father and I really couldn't stand that.  

Good luck K2'ing.  That scene must have been hotter than I thought.  It 'burnt' the video. :10814716:

For anyone who likes KDramas - information or recaps.

Spoiler

Dramabeans, Drama Milk and A Koala's Playground are good sites, if you haven't already found them. :tumblr_inline_nhkf0oKdhx1qid2nw:

22 minutes ago, Louitunes said:

Hide contents

Dramabeans, Drama Milk and A Koala's Playground are good sites, if you haven't already found them. :tumblr_inline_nhkf0oKdhx1qid2nw:

Thank you!! Just found out Lee Min-Ho oppa will come back with a new drama!!! Yay!!!!

8 hours ago, Louitunes said:

Confession time.....I was so upset about the ending I haven't fully watched it - just skipped. I think I must go back n rewatch.  

Reveal hidden contents

I thought a young Kang had maybe started the fire to cover their tracks when leaving not realising the severity of his actions but I thought his father had killed the women.  This action places him in the same mould as his father and I really couldn't stand that.  

Spoiler

Yeah, I know what you mean.  It felt tragic that Kang committed the same kind of action as the person he hated so much.  He spent his life struggling to literally and metaphorically escape the shadow cast by his father.  What he did, though, ironically changed him more than everything that happened before.  It doesn’t make much sense, but killing those people like his father would have actually led to him finally escaping that shadow because for the first time he broke free from his emotionless ness and experienced pain and guilt.  It is a twisted progression but arguably what formed the better person he turned into.  

Only marginally better, though, because he still know about those women’s deaths and said nothing, and he knew all along that Jae In’s father was innocent, and he said nothing.  

I sympathized with him and kind of admired the complexity of his characterization, although it was really tragic at the same time.

8 hours ago, Louitunes said:

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you!!  I love Dramabeans but have not heard of the others.

20 hours ago, kaaaaaaat said:

Anyone watching Her Private Life? So good!

I'm watching it and loving it! This drama reminds me of the good old fangirling experiences I had when I was younger :laughing:.  But that's where the relevancy stop. WHEREISMYGOODLOOKINGBOSS?

I do think some of the writing and execution are a bit cliche though. Always like Kim Jae Wook but I simply can't watch all his darker dramas so happy to see him in a romcom :love:

16 hours ago, Louitunes said:

Hide contents

Oh, I never heard of Drama Milk. Now I know where else I can go to when taking a break from work. :thanks:

On 5/8/2019 at 3:03 AM, Louitunes said:

I like Park Min Young, but feel her chemistry was better with Park Seo-Joon in "What's Wrong with Secretary Kim".  Seo-Joon :tumblr_inline_mqt4gvxxtJ1qz4rgp: is my favourite actor ...love him in just about everything.  Who can forget his reaction to a 'female' Ji Sung in "Kill Me Heal Me" or his vulnerability in "Fight My Way".

Loved Kim Jae-Wook in "Coffee Prince" and "Antique".  Think it's the long hair!  He's so beautiful...Latte brings a smile to my face.  Am so glad he got a lead role at last.

Yessss when they announced Kim Jaewook as the lead role I was celebrating--FINALLY! I watched Who Are You for him and I was super disappointed that his role was limited to longing looks. Also, Park Seojoon! SUHWOON. And yessss I will never forget Yona's OP.PA. and him just trying to get away as fast as he could.

1 hour ago, kaaaaaaat said:

Yessss when they announced Kim Jaewook as the lead role I was celebrating--FINALLY! I watched Who Are You for him and I was super disappointed that his role was limited to longing looks. Also, Park Seojoon! SUHWOON. And yessss I will never forget Yona's OP.PA. and him just trying to get away as fast as he could.

Certainly Yona was hilarious in her skirt n track pants launching herself at Seo-Joon......and you are right he couldn't run away fast enough.  Their scenes were the funniest in the drama.  Loved all Ji Sung's various characters in "Kill me Heal Me". 

Another funny scene I like is Yoon Shi Yoon as Enrique Geum doing his panda dance in "Flower Boys Next Door".   Another great drama if not seen.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished "Dream High".  I thought it was great.  The acting was decent, considering most of the actors were idols.  The story wasn't really anything revolutionary or groundbreaking.  There were some timeline jumps here and there that felt a bit abrupt.  But somehow I thought the series was greater than the sum of its parts, because the characters were fun and the drama was resolved nicely, in just the way I wanted.  Which should have made it predictable, and it was, but predictable in a good, satisfying way.  And Kim Soo-hyun was brilliant in it, as he always is... :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:  He's such a good actor, he just brings his characters to life and you can actually feel the emotion in every inch of him.  Maybe that's why I love "Dream High" as much as I do, because of him and Sam Dong, who is the best character ever and deserves to win at everything.  I actively hated Hye Mi at the beginning of the show, so it was good to see her character change, although I couldn't tell if her expression was always supposed to be as blank as that (which the show did make jokes about) or if her acting ability has its limits.  Probably the first one, because she seemed more genuine later in the series.  Pil Sook and Jason were pretty much the most adorable couple I've seen in any K-drama.

I've watched almost every episode in "My Love From The Star" too (Kim Soo-hyun in this show led me to watching "Dream High").  I don't know if I want to finish it.  It is becoming quite sad as it approaches the end....  Cheon Song Yi tends to get on my nerves at times.  I get that she is supposed to have an ego, and most of the time it is played really humorously.  But then occasionally I find it irritating.  Like the moment when Min Joon has to confess that he must leave soon, and breaks down into tears.... and she yells and storms away.  How can anyone yell at a crying Kim Soo-hyun?!  I did not think such a thing could be possible!  :64341262:  (lol at myself)

14 hours ago, dheu said:

Just finished "Dream High".  I thought it was great.  The acting was decent, considering most of the actors were idols.  The story wasn't really anything revolutionary or groundbreaking.  There were some timeline jumps here and there that felt a bit abrupt.  But somehow I thought the series was greater than the sum of its parts, because the characters were fun and the drama was resolved nicely, in just the way I wanted.  Which should have made it predictable, and it was, but predictable in a good, satisfying way.  And Kim Soo-hyun was brilliant in it, as he always is... :tumblr_inline_mg16go8gBg1qdlkyg:  He's such a good actor, he just brings his characters to life and you can actually feel the emotion in every inch of him.  Maybe that's why I love "Dream High" as much as I do, because of him and Sam Dong, who is the best character ever and deserves to win at everything.  I actively hated Hye Mi at the beginning of the show, so it was good to see her character change, although I couldn't tell if her expression was always supposed to be as blank as that (which the show did make jokes about) or if her acting ability has its limits.  Probably the first one, because she seemed more genuine later in the series.  Pil Sook and Jason were pretty much the most adorable couple I've seen in any K-drama.

I've watched almost every episode in "My Love From The Star" too (Kim Soo-hyun in this show led me to watching "Dream High").  I don't know if I want to finish it.  It is becoming quite sad as it approaches the end....  Cheon Song Yi tends to get on my nerves at times.  I get that she is supposed to have an ego, and most of the time it is played really humorously.  But then occasionally I find it irritating.  Like the moment when Min Joon has to confess that he must leave soon, and breaks down into tears.... and she yells and storms away.  How can anyone yell at a crying Kim Soo-hyun?!  I did not think such a thing could be possible!  :64341262:  (lol at myself)

"My Love from the Star" was one of the first kdramas I watched.  Absolutely blown away by both leads.  His apartment though.  I want.... I want.  Do finish it. Its so worth it.   :67638860:

Really enjoyed and would recommend the short drama  "My First First Love" with the little sweetie that is Ji Soo.  Like Kim Jae Wook another actor who at last has a lead role.  Can't wait for season Two. :67573730:

11 hours ago, Louitunes said:

"My Love from the Star" was one of the first kdramas I watched.  Absolutely blown away by both leads.  His apartment thought.  I want.... I want.  Do finish it. Its so worth it.   :67638860:

OMG, his apartment is amazing.  I would love to have it too, and I don't even like living in apartments!  I want a library like his....

Finishing "Dream High" has made me want to finish "My Love from the Star" too, so I think I'll do that today.  And then I have to get back to K2. :8788161:  So much K-drama to watch!!  I love it.

I have "My First First Love" tagged on Netflix to watch too.  I'll let you know what I think of that one when I get to it.