2018/19 Coaching changes

18 minutes ago, Lilona said:

Rumor has it that Eteri wanted Zhenya to retire. And bcs of that she was so supportive and talked abt two gilds and like it was Zhenya's last chance. It's rumor between rus fans so be aware. But I think it make some sense.

I don't think Eteri would do that... Medvedeva can still win in season 18/19 as it is likely that the backloading of program would not be allowed (which affects Zagitova more).

5 часов назад, kaerb сказал:

absolutely right. Yuzu's also complimented zhenya's ability to deliver consistently under any circumstances before iirc and we know from the new ice jewels interview that that's a chief concern of his, and something I think TCC would definitely be interested in bringing in. 

I think she definitely has, it's played out very well as @Yatagarasu said (and frankly I'm shocked because even the gossipy FS circles didn't have BOrser's name on the radar though there were rumours about a split with Eteri). for an eighteen-year-old (who's clearly found a good team to help her), that's truly quite impressive. I'm living for her cryptic tweeting today too. 

Rus fans discussed it but decided it's just not true. LOL.

And here I am with this dream since Oly for Zhenya move to Borser. Yes I really think that he can help her with her techniques and will totally bring smth new in her skating. Also if this true our dialoque with her mom and her on ThinQ just receive all new meaning oO

1 час назад, hoodie axel сказал:

That she's going to a coach who produced an OGM out of his very first student, and a two time OGM?

OK.

They said that after Yuna Borser has no luck with women FS

Well you know, we focus a lot on Yuzu, but people are forgetting there are 2 senior women skaters who might have viable quads. One is Tursynbaeva, another is Gabby. If Zhenya is truly aiming for a quad, then maybe being on the same ice as those 2 is not a bad idea. 

33 minutes ago, Lilona said:

Rus fans discussed it but decided it's just not true. LOL.

And here I am with this dream since Oly for Zhenya move to Borser. Yes I really think that he can help her with her techniques and will totally bring smth new in her skating. Also if this true our dialoque with her mom and her on ThinQ just receive all new meaning oO

Well that would be very anti-climatic. 

The serious repercussion though, is it opens the possibility of Eteri girls all leaving her after they do well on the seniors level. First Yulia, then Zhenya, who's next? Polina or Alina? If Sasha does well her first senior season, would she go? What about Alena? Then Sambo becomes something like a college prep school for junior ladies heading into seniors. 

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

Well you know, we focus a lot on Yuzu, but people are forgetting there are 2 senior women skaters who might have viable quads. One is Tursynbaeva, another is Gabby. If Zhenya is truly aiming for a quad, then maybe being on the same ice as those 2 is not a bad idea. 

Well that would be very anti-climatic. 

The serious repercussion though, is it opens the possibility of Eteri girls all leaving her after they do well on the seniors level. First Yulia, then Zhenya, who's next? Polina or Alina? If Sasha does well her first senior season, would she go? What about Alena? Then Sambo becomes something like a college prep school for junior ladies heading into seniors. 

I still think that jumping quads among adult women may not become a trend before the triple axel does... It is already hard for them to land consistent triple axels, let alone quads...

U think russsian fed is supportive (like finance or connection etc.) of zhenya leaving for a new foreign coach? Or is it more of her own decision and rus fed be like 'dont care, we have other new stars so just do whatever' lol. It isnt easy to take such big challenge after she got almost all titles in her career so hope it works well for her. 

All this reading about the PR game has me going, "You go girl!"

Although I am concern about the potential impact the increase noise from the media, haters, possessive fans, etc have on the training environment at TCC. While ideally this shouldn't matter, but it will take energy (both mental and physical) to deal with it.  Personally, my head hurts thinking about all the additional junk that will get thrown around, on top of what is out there from competitions/galas...etc... 

Meme-ing aside, objectively, I do think Zhenya needed a coaching change if she wanted to stay competitive. She's in a very peculiar position. She's just about maxed out on her TES capabilities with the same jumping passes for the past 2+ seasons under Eteri. Unless she does a -Lo combo or learns 3A (unlikely) / a quad - but that might throw off her consistency which is what brought her high PCSs in the first place. Her PCS is also almost maxed out as well (yes, she has improved much but it doesn't reflect on her scoresheet because she's been getting 9s for a while now). So what else can she do?  She must've seen that she can no longer grow as a skater under Eteri and thus decided for a coaching change.

12 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Meme-ing aside, objectively, I do think Zhenya needed a coaching change if she wanted to stay competitive. She's in a very peculiar position. She's just about maxed out on her TES capabilities with the same jumping passes for the past 2+ seasons under Eteri. Unless she does a -Lo combo or learns 3A (unlikely) / a quad - but that might throw off her consistency which is what brought her high PCSs in the first place. Her PCS is also almost maxed out as well (yes, she has improved much but it doesn't reflect on her scoresheet because she's been getting 9s for a while now). So what else can she do?  She must've seen that she can no longer grow as a skater under Eteri and thus decided for a coaching change.

Well she's not the oldest lady to try to learn a new jump, if anything, Mirai showed people that it is possible for an older female skater to learn new jumps. And Zhenya does not have great axels, she does however have decent salchows and loops. I wouldn't say anything is impossible-it's highly possible she wants to try, but not in the environment in Sambo where her intent might be rebuffed or given less focus than the junior girls (or the technique may not work for her). The stress injuries probably highlighted that whatever methods before and is in play now on her current rink, do not work for her anymore. 

Second, and this is something that gets mentioned a lot, is the idea of a "maxed out" skater. Granted, under the current system, you could argue that Zhenya is "maxed out." But that's not the point. FS watchers say a lot about how Eteri girls are overscored- well let's just assume Zhenya and her team even in Sambo agrees with that, and know that. So the real issue, after the rules change, isn't about increasing more points. That's one way to be dominant. The real issue is to ensure the points don't suddenly drop drastically for her-which they could do if she continues with Eteri's system. So it's in Zhenya's interest to move out and find a team that would work with helping her keep her scores as high as now-insure against post Olys scores deflation. Hence why BOrser is mentioned as a first choice- not just because TCC is great and all that, but TCC is the school that focuses on rounding out the skater so the scores are stable and high at the same time. Yuzu, Javi holding out against the quadsters highlight this more than anything else.  And this is precisely what Zhenya needs to stay in contention until 2022.

6 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

Fine, busted. I'm going to BOrser to polish my butt-gliding skills, too. :P 

I have an extra pair of skates I can lend, we can go together and I'll hold your hand when we butt-glide together. =)