Team Japan

Mone's scores at Kinoshita Trophy was so low. I thought she fell some or had spin and StSq hiccups but she just had a lot of carrot. Like, a lot. I know that this is still early season and she may have a) injuries, b) puberty kicking in and/or c) changing in jumping techniques, but having that many is just not a good thing. I hope she will be able to sort it out. 

FS protocol 😶 (+ pretty costume) :img_21:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/summer-competitions-2023-japan-domestic.95718/page-7

You can find some of the programs at the most recent domestic comps here. 

Some impressions:

- Rion pretty much reworked her entire FS from choreo to composition, even if the music is the same. It's still a very good program. Some parts are better than last year's, but some parts are not. The timing of that 3Lo is very unforgiving so if she gets it wrong even for one second everything will be off, so good luck to her. 

- Hana's FS is very unusual, as she said. Good for her for choosing something so different (from her usual style and from most FS programs on the scene) and doing her due research before taking on this program, but she will need more patience in her movements to completely pull it off. 

- Mao's FS is weird. It just... passes by, there are no ups and downs (same with Ayumi's). Lori doesn't do Mao much favor with this program. In fact both her SP and FP don't do her much favor. However, if these programs are her attempts at trying out new styles and expanding her range then also good for her. 

- Mone's FS is pretty; it's one of the better programs choreo'ed by Akiko IMO. Other than the worrisome jumps, her speed, flow, spins, steps are as impressive as ever, if not more. 

- Ikura looks like a model on ice 😲. Dunno if I like her FS just yet but the girl knows how to perform. 

PS: The juniors have gotten so.much.taller., like whoa!

Best music cuts for a Baby, God Bless You program so far goes to Kaori and Jeff's :heart: (Also that knee slide change direction on the crescendo  is pretty darn epic).

But Kaori steps out of a 2A (and changing the whole entry) AND call on her Lutz (e) are not on my bingo card LOL. 

What a lovely present for her newborn niece and nephew. Hope to see the programs grow as she skates more to it.

PS: That costume!!

Both Kao-s making me happy :) I like Kaori's usual programs, despite not caring for either Sia's song or the lyrics for the woman song in past FS, but the style of programs were great because I love the powerful and deliberate way she skates. She still has that strength and power but she brought in some delicacy too for Baby good bless you and it was so nice to see her be so versatile. Early season/new program hiccups are to be expected, I look forward to her FS and her whole season. 

Kao is my favorite young skater in men's now. After Yuzu, I rarely find that much interesting about men's skating with a few exceptions like Deniss etc, but Kao has such a fun style and it's not just a jump drill even though his jumps are great to watch too. Both Mone and Kao did the same weekend competition and both are a little crazy, but Kao actually winning both after two sp performed in the same day is amazing. I hope he keeps getting better and better, I want to see him stay at the top.

A collection of different Baby, God bless you music cuts 

Version 1 chosen by Kaori Sakamoto and Jeffrey Buttle

Version 2 chosen by Ami Nakai and Akiko Suzuki 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt0egJx9QDc

Version 3 chosen by Rika Kihira and Stephane Lambiel

There is one more from the 2020/21 season (I think) but I can't remember who, and there will be one more coming this year.

Anyway, Kaori's and Jeff's version >> all other ones (so far) IMO. They pay the most respect to the original flow of the song. 

Rinka did ... not well at the Tokyo summer comp, I'm worried about her. She looked very, very out of form (very slow across the ice, low in energy, breathed very heavy at the end of her FS, and popped a lot of jumps). I know this is August but man, this is late August already :( 

Her programs can be very nice if she can regain her form tho.

Re her FS: I know she said it was about her journey as a skater to this date, but what kind of dark journey it has been for the theme to be that gloomy? 

4 時間前, Melodieさんが言いました:

Rinka did ... not well at the Tokyo summer comp, I'm worried about her. She looked very, very out of form (very slow across the ice, low in energy, breathed very heavy at the end of her FS, and popped a lot of jumps). I know this is August but man, this is late August already :( 

Her programs can be very nice if she can regain her form tho.

Re her FS: I know she said it was about her journey as a skater to this date, but what kind of dark journey it has been for the theme to be that gloomy? 

She participated in the "One Piece on Ice" in Yokohama last weekend, so it might be the reason.  Another OPI show will be held in Nagoya on Sep. 2 and 3. The members including Shoma and Koshiro will have to prepare for competitions late, I'm afraid.

https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202308190000921.html

5 hours ago, SuzyQ said:

She participated in the "One Piece on Ice" in Yokohama last weekend, so it might be the reason.  Another OPI show will be held in Nagoya on Sep. 2 and 3. The members including Shoma and Koshiro will have to prepare for competitions late, I'm afraid.

https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202308190000921.html

Yeah I know, but that doesn't stop me from worrying about her. The JPN ladies' field is DEEP so when I see many other ladies doing relatively well so far and Rinka flopping that hard, I can't help it :( Please Rinka, get over the ice shows and get it together quick for comps :(