8 minutes ago, Fay said:

There are certain things I have to be grateful to this body of mine for - it keeps me to a generally very healthy diet and punishes me severely once I go overboard. But that makes me quite a hard eater to please... so guess what? I don't quite like visiting people unless I know we've got around the same culinary preferences.

So I do relate to Yuzu being a picky eater quite well! 

I understand the pressure of going to someone's house and being 'afraid' that they're going to offer you something that you will have to refuse or eat even if you don't want it - in fact, one of the things I love the most about food is cooking together with someone, discovering the things they like and the things they don't, discovering how they eat, even just shopping together makes me very happy. Knowing someone's taste in food is like... knowing them on another level :laughing:

(But also being alone, cooking for yourself and eating what you goddamn please... that's... very nice as well lol) 

I hate work/social stuff, especially when it's a bit formal and you have to eat what's given to you or be horribly rude.  The chit chat is bad and eating things you actively dislike is on a par.  It's just like/dislike, no allergies involved- so you just have to swallow about half of it and deal with it.  I have never understood the impulse to entertain people just because you happen to work together- if a proper friendship springs up that's different, but just because you work in the same place?

14 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

I hate work/social stuff, especially when it's a bit formal and you have to eat what's given to you or be horribly rude.  The chit chat is bad and eating things you actively dislike is on a par.  It's just like/dislike, no allergies involved- so you just have to swallow about half of it and deal with it.  I have never understood the impulse to entertain people just because you happen to work together- if a proper friendship springs up that's different, but just because you work in the same place?

I know what you mean, sometimes I'm like ... come on, I see these ppl 8h/5 days a week ... why do we have to party together too???

6 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

Food!! One of the only things I can say that make me feel some sort of patriotism...

Mexican cuisine is on the list of intangible cultural heritage of humanity. So yes, it's pretty good and very very bad for you!! (But I can't stand spicy food...)

My family is crazy about Mexican food, please share your favourite recipes with us so we can fangirl about them :smiley-happy085: (probably after the ACI nightmare would be best for you tho) 

7 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

Food!! One of the only things I can say that make me feel some sort of patriotism...

Mexican cuisine is on the list of intangible cultural heritage of humanity. So yes, it's pretty good and very very bad for you!! (But I can't stand spicy food...)

Same here with my family.

Though my family is all sorts of weird by asian standards. Granted, my family lived in the US for over 15 years, so maybe it's not that weird? We have a) an oven, and use it; b) adore cheese, my mom LOVES bleu cheese (I prefer harvati); c) we know what pesto is, we grow western herbs on our porch and actually use thyme and rosemary in our cooking (chinese cooking included).

So pile on the recipes. I think I can tempt my mom to make gnocchi (she usually excels at Italian). And my family usually adds something western to our Chinese New Year's dinner.

I'm sorely tempted to try at Pandoro this Christmas-usually I bring a giant bucketload of baked sweets to my work for my work teams, even though Christmas isn't celebrated in China. It's pretty bad....last year I was too busy to bake, and one of the guys automatically ran up to me on Dec 23rd asking all excited where my cookies are. It was his first year on my team, and he was slightly disappointed that I didn't make that many that year...:dpooh:

In about a week, I guess I'm suppose to spam you guys with moon cakes...

1 hour ago, Murieleirum said:

My family is crazy about Mexican food, please share your favourite recipes with us so we can fangirl about them :smiley-happy085: (probably after the ACI nightmare would be best for you tho) 

I can list some of my favorite foods :biggrin:

Tacos al pastor/asada

Chilaquiles

Mole❤

Chile's rellenos

Cochinita pibil 

Pozole

Enchiladas

Birria

Arroz con leche

Up north we eat mostly flour tortillas, rather than corn ones. They're delicious when they're freshly made and a bit of butter inside ❤ is easy to make them at home too :) you don't need special ingredients and eating scrambled eggs using the tortillas as spoon is a whole new world :)

54 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

Mole❤

I just saw a tutorial on youtube and holy mole-y...!!! I've never seen such a sauce for chicken! I have no idea what it tastes like - but I've always wanted to try chicken-chocolate combination... amazing!

1 hour ago, Xen said:

I'm sorely tempted to try at Pandoro this Christmas-usually I bring a giant bucketload of baked sweets to my work for my work teams, even though Christmas isn't celebrated in China. It's pretty bad....last year I was too busy to bake, and one of the guys automatically ran up to me on Dec 23rd asking all excited where my cookies are. It was his first year on my team, and he was slightly disappointed that I didn't make that many that year...:dpooh:

I think I'm gonna miss Traditional Christmas desserts and foods this year because I'll be in China all winter vacations long... but I hope I'll discover some Traditional Chinese foods here and there, although maybe there won't be much celebration during that period of time! 

7 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I just saw a tutorial on youtube and holy mole-y...!!! I've never seen such a sauce for chicken! I have no idea what it tastes like - but I've always wanted to try chicken-chocolate combination... amazing!

You don't even need to do the sauce yourself :P if you find a jar of Mole Doña María that's the one everyone uses when they make it at home :) you can put 1/4 of a tablet of mexican chocolate, the kind you use for the hot chocolate (my family uses Ibarra), so it isn't as spicy. Over chicken breast with sesame seeds on top and mexican rice=heaven!!

4 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

You don't even need to do the sauce yourself :P if you find a jar of Mole Doña María that's the one everyone uses when they make it at home :) you can put 1/4 of a tablet of mexican chocolate, the kind you use for the hot chocolate (my family uses Ibarra), so it isn't as spicy. Over chicken breast with sesame seeds on top and mexican rice=heaven!!

I believe it!!

Also, arroz con leche is an absolute favourite of mine as well! I love all kinds of desserts with rice, actually, there's just something about rice's consistency with sugar and milky creaminess heaven...

2 minutes ago, Murieleirum said:

I believe it!!

Also, arroz con leche is an absolute favourite of mine as well! I love all kinds of desserts with rice, actually, there's just something about rice's consistency with sugar and milky creaminess heaven...

I like it super sweet with lots of ground cinnamon on top 😍 

(And pan dulce is crap, it tastes like ordinary breadddd!!)

2 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

I like it super sweet with lots of ground cinnamon on top 😍 

(And pan dulce is crap, it tastes like ordinary breadddd!!)

One other thing I love about South American food - not traditionally Mexican though, I think it's more Argentinian - is dulce de leche. I go crazy for it ohmagod. It costs so much here in Italy, I almost never eat it! But one time, I did a Dulce de Leche Tiramisù... it was one of the best decisions of my life. :volcano: 

12308507_403491416527425_651213061408259

(Yup, to cover it I just put like half a can of dulce de leche and just decorated it in a pretty way)