Romeo + Juliet 1

1 時間前, Vivienneさんが言いました:

I think I understand what you mean here. He's gone through the path of becoming an adult and his skating reflects that. He/His skating's a lot calmer but somehow, sometime sadder, and broken.

Hmm, I suppose i did get a sense of these two in his performance of H&L at last season's World's but I'm not sure if I'd pick "sad" and "broken" as descriptors for his other performances post-Sochi. I sense more anger, fierceness, streamlined determination, maturity, control and jadedness but that's only natural, seeing as he became the top at a young age and chose to stay on to fight to remain there, while at the same time pushing the very boundaries of the sport itself. That has gotta age a person, much less an athlete.

And knowing the person he is now, when seeing the freshness of before, it gets poignant, even if you didn't know of him from when he was younger. Because seeing all his past performances, it's like going through this journey where you see him grow into the the man he is today. And he's not even done growing yet.

So I guess that makes seeing both WC performances of R&J1 and H&L one after the other, and seeing all the differences, actually rather jarring. Which I did do, as I wanted to see my top 3 favorites all in one go and H&L rests rather firmly on top. But my favorite performance of it is the one from nhk so I only marathoned the wc perf of it with Nice's R&J once.

Either way, he's blossomed beautifully. Which is wonderful seeing as not all that many with lovely potential as young skaters were able to do the same. Certainly there are more that didn't than those that did.

And...I'd wager what he's about to become would be beyond any superlatives we can think of.

Just now, SparkleSalad said:

There's still not enough achy aching in natsukashii for this situation (it's my most favouritest word because I refuse to live in the moment but my emotions!) 

i miss noodly bby Yuzu. There. I said it. I love this new powerful and commanding Yuzu but... my noodle... :sadPooh: 

I totally expected an icy noodley citrus faerie bby on ice. And i got PRINCE. 

UGH.

Anyways back to RJ1 lol sorry for the angst!

9 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

i miss noodly bby Yuzu. There. I said it. I love this new powerful and commanding Yuzu but... my noodle... :sadPooh: 

I totally expected an icy noodley citrus faerie bby on ice. And i got PRINCE. 

UGH.

Anyways back to RJ1 lol sorry for the angst!

(Friggin' so hungies for noodles right now. >_<)

BAM! POW! (We are trapped forever. :Poohgaveup:)

rj2-b.png

source

For a long time I didn't love R+J1. (Just like..:smile:)  Because I like cute, witty, pure, absolutely perfect Yuzuru, Romeo too young and desperate. But After I loved Requiem, I realized desperate skating and passion were the root of Yuzu. I appreciate R&J worth of it and now I love Romeo.:10742288: Besides, music of R&J1 is excellent.

10 分ぐらい, Yuzkikiさんが言いました:

For a long time I didn't love R+J1. (Just like..:smile:)  Because I like cute, witty, pure, absolutely perfect Yuzuru, Romeo too young and desperate. But After I loved Requiem, I realized desperate skating and passion were the root of Yuzu. I appreciate R&J worth of it and now I love Romeo.:10742288: Besides, music of R&J1 is excellent.

You're absolutely right. Wild abandon is his natural style, I think. He's harnessed and honed it since to present a more elegant and majestic finish now but what really fuels it is his desperate passion and utter joy for skating. So he hasn't really changed at all, I don't think. He's grown a lot, and added more layers and facets to his skating but underneath it all, you can still sense the same kind of emotion driving him. It actually slips out to the forefront still sometimes.^__^ Thanks for putting it so aptly.

18 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

(Friggin' so hungies for noodles right now. >_<)

BAM! POW! (We are trapped forever. :Poohgaveup:)

rj2-b.png

source

I'm always comparing Yuzu to food, i'm sorry (he's mint chocolate ice cream for me, after thinking deeply about it)

Just look at this baby... It's like he can't believe he really did it <3 precious thing

8 minutes ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

You're absolutely right. Wild abandon is his natural style, I think. He's harnessed and honed it since to present a more elegant and majestic finish now but what really fuels it is his desperate passion and utter joy for skating. So he hasn't really changed at all, I don't think. He's grown a lot, and added more layers and facets to his skating but underneath it all, you can still sense the same kind of emotion driving him. It actually slips out to the forefront still sometimes.^__^ Thanks for putting it so aptly.

Yup. Which is why while i miss noodly bb Yuzu, i like what he has become, you can still see the pure joy and passion of his skating. You can almost taste how much he loves what he does and it's an amazing sight to see :sadPooh:

8 hours ago, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

...people thought he was this cute, harmless little thing back in 2013, early 2014, chastising Chan for viewing him as a threat and treating him as such when all the kid seemingly wielded as weapons were blinding smiles and Pooh bears. I bet Chan wants to serve up a big fat I told you so to those who criticized him then.

So no, I actually meant bullets. Sparkly bullets, but bullets nonetheless. Loaded with extra gunpowder. With big guns hidden on his body somewhere.

Yep! Chiddy knew what was up! :rofl:

From a DailyDot article during 2014 OWG

Chan, on the other hand, is responding to his second-place finish by going on the offensive, already doing interviews where he describes his upcoming long program as an “arsenal” of points-scoring moves. Dogged by accusations of “Chanflation” (judges unfairly inflating his scores), he isn’t hugely popular outside of Canada, and in this competition he’d do well to tone down his usual habit of trash-talking his opponents in the press. This was OK when he was up against terrifying Russian cyborg Evgeni Plushenko, but it seems less funny when his main rival is an adorable 19-year-old who hugged a teddy bear for comfort while waiting for his scores.

45 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

but it seems less funny when his main rival is an adorable 19-year-old who hugged a teddy bear for comfort while waiting for his scores.

Adorable kid..? 

tumblr_nyi9rl6f2P1tsbym4o4_540.gif

[x]

Oh yes! Adorable! 

tumblr_nygvz8IEnX1tsbym4o1_540.gif?w=940

[x]

LOL the contrast :xD:

ETA: just realized this was RnJ's thread, but I posted Chopin gif :laughing: is there a Chopin thread? We need it. 

ETA 2: 

Look at this adorable kid! :laughing:

tumblr_n16bfiJyee1tsbym4o1_500.gif

[x]

18 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Probably one of the first iterations of R+J1. FAOI in Kanazawa 2011.

Oh wow, I hadn't seen this version. I love this original headbanging move where he just looks up. So striking.

Very happy the biellmann timing was changed. 2012 Worlds was perfect and the biellmann somehow looks like those voices. 10/10 would biellmann again.

8 hours ago, Hydroblade said:

(he's mint chocolate ice cream for me, after thinking deeply about it)

Thank you for making me fatter! Thank goodness I'm not going to Japan in a couple of months and don't have to squish myself between people in tiny arena seats oh wait...

1 hour ago, Yuazz said:

Adorable kid..? 

tumblr_nyi9rl6f2P1tsbym4o4_540.gif

[x]

ETA: just realized this was RnJ's thread, but I posted Chopin gif :laughing: is there a Chopin thread? We need it. 

There's a present waiting for you in the forum lobby. 

I heard we were waxing lyrical about RJ1 so here I am with a LOTTA FEELINGS.

I actually went on a spree of watching all his RJ1 programs across the season and there's something extra compelling about the skate at Worlds if you watch it after watching the earlier iterations - he was fluid, completely and utterly caught up in the music from his movement to the extensions in all the poses he pulled especially during the SS, it was like he didn't even have to think about his next moves. The amount of emotion was so extraordinary - to me, this was almost a farewell to the skater he used to be.

I often wonder how Yuzu might have progressed in his career if not for the tsunami and earthquake disaster. Fortunately I've never been in Yuzu's position but I had my own personal hellish year a few years back where I was dealing with a chronic health issue. Having that experience profoundly affected my view on life, and I undersrand the desperate emotions you can sometimes bring towards certain activities that you can control and which bring some semblance of normalcy. There's sense that youthful exuberance and innocence HAD to be cut off; you can't have an experience so close to death and destruction without being deeply affected, without losing something. You can come close to how you once felt but you will never be able to replicate it, and I think some detractors discount this fact. When people talk about how his skating has become less wild and sadder and more controlled, I think to this, and to how he managed to build a new style out of it - powerful and purposeful. I think it was the best we can ask for.