Skating on the Planet

2 hours ago, guitarist said:

Does anyone have tips for Ina Bauers? I finally figured out how to get into the right position, but once I do it, I stop gliding within a second or two. I think this is because most of my weight is actually on the back (in this case my right) leg, which is obviously exactly the opposite of what I should be doing, but I'm having trouble holding my weight on the left leg... Maybe I'm doing something wrong when entering it. 

Just hitting that position is so impressive! (can't help you tho as I am far from being able to do IBs)

7 hours ago, Xen said:

Yeah, I'll try that. A part of me is thinking it's time to change the entry method.  (that's actually how I used to think of my flips-it's like a salchow just with a toe tap...)

I learned the Sal going from a back 3 turn to mohawk entry. Then after not skating for a while, I'm back to a normal 3-turn swingy entry. Rinkmates says the mohawk one generates more power for the jump, but you need to be really good at checking, and the speed for the snap up launch is faster. Hmm... decisions decisions. I also want to try a rolling 3 turns entry, hehe, and probably fall flat on my face.

I've recently been trying RFI bracket to waltz jump, and have been nudging a rinkmate to do counter, or a back 3 turn Axel. :headdesk2:

Haha that's interesting as I don't usually see anyone use mohawks for sals, just uhhh loops and waltz jumps? For flips and sals usually i see people do 3turns or rolling 3turns if they can. But yeah you have to check really well after the 3 turn so you don't use the swingyness into the jump bc that's uhh supposedly bad. I should try sals again as that was my problem (not being able to check the 3 turn) but I did 3 turns on a line for 750937402 hours and now I can finally check them sorta. Also I used to underrotate my loops a lot when I first started one them, the landing mark would be totally outside of the circle :tumblr_inline_n18qr5AMus1qid2nw:

1 hour ago, robin said:

Just hitting that position is so impressive! (can't help you tho as I am far from being able to do IBs)

I can easily do anything that requires turnout, but I fail at everything else :13877886:Like, I can do mohawks, but I'm so bad at 3-turns, especially on my right foot :laughing: But I'm going every day this week, so I'm hoping to have at least forward 3-turns by the end of the week. Probably not gonna happen, though... 

I spent an hour on waltz jumps today and I think I see a bit of an improvement, mostly from trying to "kick" with the foot rather than the knee so my leg is (more) extended rather than bent. It did feel like a bigger jump although I didn't record it because I'm sure it's more of a ~feeling~ than anything physical. But I looked at the ice traces (I always look at ice traces so much that I have to remember not to look at them *while* jumping and keep my head up) and for a few jumps it was hard for me to find the take off trace, whereas usually it's like *here's the takeoff trace* *aaaannndd here's the landing trace* so I'll just use that as a sign that my jumps have better distance :laughing:

5 hours ago, guitarist said:

Does anyone have tips for Ina Bauers? I finally figured out how to get into the right position, but once I do it, I stop gliding within a second or two. I think this is because most of my weight is actually on the back (in this case my right) leg, which is obviously exactly the opposite of what I should be doing, but I'm having trouble holding my weight on the left leg... Maybe I'm doing something wrong when entering it. 

That's so cool! I can only do the position on land and can't do it on the ice, IBs are so pretty.

1 hour ago, guitarist said:

I can easily do anything that requires turnout, but I fail at everything else :13877886:Like, I can do mohawks, but I'm so bad at 3-turns, especially on my right foot :laughing: But I'm going every day this week, so I'm hoping to have at least forward 3-turns by the end of the week. Probably not gonna happen, though... 

I'm the opposite, I have zero turnout and my mohawks are fauxhawks   :4:

I try so hard to work on my turnout, whenever I am waiting for the bus or really just standing around I try to stand in 4th position (while running danger of looking stupid) but my improvement has been minimal... Although I have actually managed to hold besti squats for a few seconds last time I skated

Not sure if that will be possible after this injury tho

16 hours ago, guitarist said:

Try to work on your edges. If you improve your edge control you'll do it easier. I was bad at some too than i realised it was because i wasn't comfortable on outside edge. Than tried to be able to skate on lobes. Now it gets better.

3 hours ago, Bilge said:

Try to work on your edges. If you improve your edge control you'll do it easier. I was bad at some too than i realised it was because i wasn't comfortable on outside edge. Than tried to be able to skate on lobes. Now it gets better.

Yeah, you're right. My left outside edge is probably the weakest one. I spent 2 hours on it this morning, and it's getting better, but it's still not deep at all. I'm much, much better at inside edges, though, so perhaps I should try getting the inside Ina Bauer first. I tried today, I can also get into the position, I just stop moving hahaha. 

Anyway, I think I'm going to spend this whole week on edge control. Should help with crossovers as well, which are still pretty bad. 

1 hour ago, guitarist said:

Yeah, you're right. My left outside edge is probably the weakest one. I spent 2 hours on it this morning, and it's getting better, but it's still not deep at all. I'm much, much better at inside edges, though, so perhaps I should try getting the inside Ina Bauer first. I tried today, I can also get into the position, I just stop moving hahaha. 

Anyway, I think I'm going to spend this whole week on edge control. Should help with crossovers as well, which are still pretty bad. 

same inside is much better, becasuse you feel safe i think since you can hold you with other leg but on outside you just fell lol *fear factor* I havent try Ina Bauer yet. I started working on spins, but even with two revolutions i get dizzy >_<

15 minutes ago, Bilge said:

same inside is much better, becasuse you feel safe i think since you can hold you with other leg but on outside you just fell lol *fear factor* I havent try Ina Bauer yet. I started working on spins, but even with two revolutions i get dizzy >_<

Yeah, you need to center it properly or you'll get dizzy. I've been trying for weeks and I just can't do it properly. The best I can do is about 3-5 very slow rotations, and my posture's probably a mess. I guess I'm not a spinner :13877886:

35 minutes ago, guitarist said:

Yeah, you need to center it properly or you'll get dizzy. I've been trying for weeks and I just can't do it properly. The best I can do is about 3-5 very slow rotations, and my posture's probably a mess. I guess I'm not a spinner :13877886:

Lol we need to keep practiceing till out bodies get used to itXD

1 minute ago, Bilge said:

Lol we need to keep practiceing till out bodies get used to itXD

Practicing on an off-ice spinner really helps in getting used to it and in general it helps with spins. It's easier to do it off-ice (I can do scratch spins off-ice but I can merely pull my leg across on the ice)

2 hours ago, robin said:

Practicing on an off-ice spinner really helps in getting used to it and in general it helps with spins. It's easier to do it off-ice (I can do scratch spins off-ice but I can merely pull my leg across on the ice)

What kind of spinner do you use? I've seen those that are like small curved boards, but I worry they would damage the floor, and I rent, so I don't want to lose my security deposit haha. 

4 minutes ago, guitarist said:

What kind of spinner do you use? I've seen those that are like small curved boards, but I worry they would damage the floor, and I rent, so I don't want to lose my security deposit haha. 

I got a knock off edea one but I wasn’t aware I was buying a fake one off the internet so don’t judge lol

hmmmm it didn’t damage my parent’s granite floor but my own old linoleum floor got some scratches. Depends on your floor and the density of its material in relation to the plastic of the spinner