Planet Hanyu Judging Panel

Bringing this over from the general thread, I'm asking to see who is interested in starting a mock judging panel.  We would choose an event (possibly do a poll to see what everyone wants to see) and, well, judge it.  We would just give GOEs and component scores, unless there is disagreement with among us about the technical calls that were actually made.  The panel doesn't have to be restricted to nine people (more the better, actually) though I think we should try to restrict it to those who have a pretty good handle on IJS:

• Easily can identify jumps and has a basic understanding of their technique
  • Can identify the basic turns and steps, at least in slow-mo (because even I can't call the turns on the fly in a StSq in real time and must slow it down)
  • Understands GOE, Level, and PCS criteria

These aren't all inclusive though.

Logistically, I think the easiest way would be for all the "judges" to send in their marks to one person who will compile it into a single protocol, either through PM or a Google sheet (I can coordinate this, I have a template set up).  Marks won't be anonymous, of course.  

We will probably start with one of his CS or GP events since those have less skaters and are easier to handle. Lol

Leave your thoughts and suggestions!  If enough people are free in the coming days/week and we have a good number we can get started soon!

As I said before, I'd like to take part as a judge (do we have to pass a test before to proof sufficient knowledge? :P )

I'm also all for picking some older events first and trying to get the hang of it during the off season - so if everything works out, we can start having "real time" fun with this once the season starts.

Since we can suggest events, if others are interested too, I'd love for all of us to have a closer look at the men's event at the 2011 GPF. Off season throwback to our favorite Romeo, only 6 skaters and long moaning about the scoring back then included. Come on, it's perfect :4chsmu1:

Even though I'm not qualified (maybe 1-1.5 out of 3 on Max's criteria), it would be fun to play along. We could all learn by doing the exercise, even if our scores don't count as part of the judging panel. It actually might be interesting to compile everyone's scores, regardless of their knowledge level, and compare it to the panel's, to see what kind of scores crowdsourcing produces. Although we aren't a neutral group, because we're all Yuzu fans.

1 hour ago, beki said:

Even though I'm not qualified (maybe 1-1.5 out of 3 on Max's criteria), it would be fun to play along. We could all learn by doing the exercise, even if our scores don't count as part of the judging panel. It actually might be interesting to compile everyone's scores, regardless of their knowledge level, and compare it to the panel's, to see what kind of scores crowdsourcing produces. Although we aren't a neutral group, because we're all Yuzu fans.

This would be interesting also, to see how a "layman" would score!

Ohhh this sounds fun. I might want to give this a try with discplines outside the men's.  :party0021: 

I would also love to do this with dance but I honestly know next to nothing about the level requirements for their elements. I know the basic patterns but.... :HELPSOS: 

12 hours ago, ShiroKJ said:

Ohhh this sounds fun. I might want to give this a try with discplines outside the men's.  :party0021: 

I would also love to do this with dance but I honestly know next to nothing about the level requirements for their elements. I know the basic patterns but.... :HELPSOS: 

It's okay if you don't know the Levels.  We likely won't be changing the already-called levels. 

On 17.5.2017 at 20:31, ShiroKJ said:

Why not the men? A bit of quad-phobia kicking in?:giggle:

@mcq I think previously stated she might participate too. Which would make us 6 possible judges now, right?

And just my opinion, but I don't think anyone should be too worried about "not being qualified enough". For me, the most interesting part is the discussions that could come out of it, why someone scored which way and if others agree or not, why they agree or not, and so on. It's also interesting to see sometimes if your own scores match your "just from viewing" feeling or if maybe CoP is doing a trick on you. It's an experiment, not a test you have to pass to be allowed to stay on PH :banned::giggle: