General Yuzuru Chat

14 hours ago, fuzz_ball_21 said:

A membership video has just been posted on Yuzu's official Youtube channel.  He did a 4Lo-3A.  Has he done this combo before?

I think he did the 4Lo-3A sequence after the 2015 WTT in the "quad battle" if I remember correctly. If you search for quad battle in YT you can find the video. 

28 minutes ago, Beatrice said:

Very happy to see a new video from Yuzu and hear his voice  <3

---------

Sorry, off-topic (in view of the current excitement) but don't know where else to post: 

HELP !  My memory is failing me :shame:

I'm almost 'desperate' to retrieve two competition videos with very enthusiastic 'special' commentary after the end of the performance:

1) Max Ambesi saying (in Italian ofc) : "Welcome to planet Hanyu - inhabitant: one, he alone."

2) English commentary, man and woman ; woman says: "I swear he's not human, he's half robot (?) and half alien ..."

Thanks in advance for any helpful tip  :smiley-angelic001:

Here is the Worlds 2019 freeskate - BBC commentary link - I will look for the other too - its Worlds 2017 free skate Eurosport Italy you want!

And here's the Italian commentary to Yuzu's 2017 world record freeskate at Helsinki Worlds

24 minutes ago, Pammi said:

Here is the Worlds 2019 freeskate - BBC commentary link - I will look for the other too - its Worlds 2017 free skate Eurosport Italy you want!

And here's the Italian commentary to Yuzu's 2017 world record freeskate at Helsinki Worlds

I will never forget about Yuzu's World 2019 free skate...it's sooo heart breaking😢 Yuzu was injured at that time and was under tremendous pressure to win medal for Japan (if I remembered correctly, the rest of Japan team members were out of podium).

Yuzu did a clean 4T&3A sequence (1st skater to do so), first skater to break 300 points with a world record but few minutes later...NC won gold with a new World record. Really a doom day for me😩

15 hours ago, fuzz_ball_21 said:

He did a 4Lo-3A.  Has he done this combo before?

In April's video, the one with the two Poohs, ends with the sequence 4Lo+3A. Apart from that, in the Italian group on Facebook someone asked me if anyone has ever performed this sequence. Here is the translation of my answer:

The 4Lo in combination in competition was attempted only by four skaters: Daniel Grassl, Matteo Rizzo, Adeliia Petrosian and Petr Gumennik (the last two in Russian competitions). Grassl is the only one who has obtained a positive GOE. They were however different combinations, 4Lo+2T, 4Lo+3T, 4Lo+1Eu+3S. No one has ever performed a 4Lo+3A sequence in competition, but I think that, apart from Yuzu, no one has ever performed it even in training.
I remember that when the second jump is an axel the element is called sequence because while in the combination the second jump is performed immediately after the landing of the first, with the axel the skater has to turn to be able to take off forward. Until the 2021-2022 season this difference had a relevance in the score, the sequences were worth less than the combinations (i.e. if a skater performed 3A+3T he had a higher base value than a hypothetical 3T+3A), now instead the rules has been changed and the base value is the same.
Having said that, let's see the sequences with the quadruples.
4T+2A: performed only in Russian internal competitions by Kamila Valieva, Adeliia Petrosian, Sofia Akateva, Makar Ignatov, Gregor Fedorov and Eduard Karartynian.
4T+3A: Performed by Yuzuru Hanyu only.
4S+2A: performed only by Alina Gorbacheva, Artur Danielian and Maria Gordeeva in Russian domestic competitions.
4Lz+2A(+2A): performed only by Lev Lazarev and Alisa Dvoeglazova in Russian domestic competitions.
None of the other types of sequences with a quadruple jump as the first jump, and a double or triple axel as the second jump have ever been performed. This means that Yuzu was the only one crazy enough to perform a 3A as the second jump of a sequence after a quadruple, and this when the sequences were worth less than the combinations. Why crazy? Because he's taken crazy risks, but we know he likes to challenge himself, so that's okay. This also tells us that Yuzu has a command over jumping that no one else has, because none of the others have the guts or skills to do what he does.
Let's move on to the sequences with 3A as the second jump after a triple.
3F+3A+SEQ: performed only by Ilia Malinin.
3Lz+3A(+3T)+SEQ: performed only by Ilia Malinin.
3A+3A+SEQ: performed only by Matteo Rizzo (once only, and with the second 3A underrotated).
Sequences with a 3A as a second jump are very rare. The fact that Yuzu attacks a 3A on pretty much everything isn't normal. Yuzu is Yuzu, and even now he's the best jumper. If he returned to competitions, and the scores were awarded correctly, he would dominate without any difficulty. But, knowing how scores are awarded, and how much fun he's been having since he's been a pro, why would he come back?
One last thing. We first saw Yuzu perform the 4Lo+3A sequence at the 2015 World Team Trophy gala. This is the last competition of the season that started with the crash with Han Yan and complicated by the December operation. Yuzu was frustrated because he had only finished second at the World Championships - he still had a bandaged stomach, a sprained ankle, and only two weeks of training behind him, it's already a miracle that he skated the way he skated - and in the conclusion of the World Team Trophy, a little later than the World Championship, when his health was improved and he had managed to train more, he wanted to prove that he was capable of doing things that others didn't even dream of. Ok, on the 3A he was a bit unbalanced backwards, but I remember Yuzu landing the first 4Lo in competition at the 2016 Autumn Classic, a year and a half later, so that sequence was really incredible.

1 hour ago, Martina said:

Yuzu is Yuzu, and even now he's the best jumper. If he returned to competitions, and the scores were awarded correctly, he would dominate without any difficulty. But, knowing how scores are awarded, and how much fun he's been having since he's been a pro, why would he come back?

Brings back my sad heart from 19th July 2022, I can't help it. But he continues to skate for us, and he is happier now, that's all that matters.

4 hours ago, Jolanda said:

Only if she cooks and pampers him but most men like risks and nobody can talk them out of it

It's not about talking them out of risks so much as it is about talking them into the things they should be doing, like taking a holiday or getting regular checkups at the doctor - or simply listening to the doctor

22 minutes ago, DancingFeather said:

Brings back my sad heart from 19th July 2022, I can't help it. But he continues to skate for us, and he is happier now, that's all that matters.

The fact that he left competing not because he wanted to leave it, but because they made him understand that, no matter what he did, they would never let him win anything important again, will always remain an open wound.
I can't help but think, in addition to the medals they stole from him, the suffering they inflicted on him, to all the masterpieces we will never have. If he had left when the situation was now clear, in December 2019, we would not have had masterpieces such as Ten to Chi to and Introduction and Rondo capriccioso. Yuzu has shown tremendous strength going all the way to Beijing, and even more amazing strength going through the competition, and everything that happened during that time, in the way he faced them.
I will always support all of his decisions, the one to leave the competitions like all the others, but the wound remains open, even if he is happier and if I'm happy for him and with him.

6 minutes ago, Martina said:

The fact that he left competing not because he wanted to leave it, but because they made him understand that, no matter what he did, they would never let him win anything important again, will always remain an open wound.
I can't help but think, in addition to the medals they stole from him, the suffering they inflicted on him, to all the masterpieces we will never have. If he had left when the situation was now clear, in December 2019, we would not have had masterpieces such as Ten to Chi to and Introduction and Rondo capriccioso. Yuzu has shown tremendous strength going all the way to Beijing, and even more amazing strength going through the competition, and everything that happened during that time, in the way he faced them.
I will always support all of his decisions, the one to leave the competitions like all the others, but the wound remains open, even if he is happier and if I'm happy for him and with him.

I subscribe to each and every word of yours above - very well said, Martina  :flowers:

I would only like to mention LMEY as well on the list of post-2019 programs - although not my absolute fav among the music choices, the skating was/is superb as always, especially that fabulously saved 3A at WTT 2021 !  :worship:

7 minutes ago, Beatrice said:

I would only like to mention LMEY as well on the list of post-2019 programs - although not my absolute fav among the music choices, the skating was/is superb as always, especially that fabulously saved 3A at WTT 2021 ! 

I love LMEY too. I haven't mentioned it because, as beautiful as it is, it's not at the level of the other two programs, which are absolute masterpieces. But no one else can skate a program like LMEY. And that 3A of the WTT is extraordinary. In the mistake, he has shown us that he has incredible body control. As well as remarkable courage, because if he lost control he would go down on his face and get really hurt.

11 minutes ago, Martina said:

I love LMEY too. I haven't mentioned it because, as beautiful as it is, it's not at the level of the other two programs, which are absolute masterpieces. But no one else can skate a program like LMEY. And that 3A of the WTT is extraordinary. In the mistake, he has shown us that he has incredible body control. As well as remarkable courage, because if he lost control he would go down on his face and get really hurt.

Exactly !  :yes:

Honestly, to someone who is not well versed in correctly recognizing and assessing the finer details of FS technique (ahem, e.g. my humble self :coolio: ) that 'save' might seem to be a planned spunky 'special effect' deliberately added to the 3A, coz it was so spectacular  :clap:

2 hours ago, Pammi said:

Here is the Worlds 2019 freeskate - BBC commentary link -

. . . . .

I will look for the other too - its Worlds 2017 free skate Eurosport Italy you want! . . . . .

. . . . .

Thank you - thank you - thank you !!!  You saved my sanity and my night's sleep  :thanks:

(I did have a very strong conviction that it was Origin 2019 (or 2018) and I searched through many versions/recordings of several performances (NHK, SC, GP Helsinki, CoR ...) just not the correct one.  Same procedure with H&L WC2017 - didn't think of looking for ESP ITA !  :doh: )

Thanks again  :bouquet-smiley:

45 minutes ago, Martina said:

My sense is that his desire to compete was a complicated matter, with many conflicting impulses. I'm not sure even Yuzu himself understood at the time why he chose to continue after PC. In part, I think, it was the only life he knew, and, for all its demands and heartaches, less scary than turning pro. If he had mastered Nessie at any competition during that last quad, I think he might have quit the next day.

As for the Infernal Skating Union, hell is too good. I still hope it will go bankrupt and all the dirty laundry will get a thorough public airing. One of the greatest joys of the Hanyu Pro Era has been seeing him tick off the boxes in the old fogies' wish list for their ideal skater: thoroughly contemporary, check; masculine image (ie, not gay), check. The corrupt system will wither away while he continues his global conquest, which is right and just. I am satisfied, as I hope he is.

25 minutes ago, Beatrice said:

that 'save' might seem to be a planned spunky 'special effect' deliberately added to the 3A, coz it was so spectacular 

Considering that this is the WTT, one of the most useless competitions on the season, for me that 3A is perfect in that way. It ruined his stats, all the other 3A's he's done in SP in the senior category had a positive GOE, this is the only one that had a negative GOE, but that's okay in that program, I wouldn't want a different one.
However that negative GOE is a mistake. The bullets are:

1) very good height and very good length (of all jumps in a combo or sequence)
2) good take-off and landing
3) effortless throughout (including rhythm in Jump combination)
4) steps before the jump, unexpected or creative entry
5) very good body position from take-off to landing
6) element matches the music

In Yuzu's 3A there are bullets 1, 4 and 6, so we start from +3. The only applicable deduction is:

Weak landing (bad pos./wrong edge/scratching etc), from -1 to -3.

By rules, that jump deserved a mark between +2 and 0.

13 minutes ago, Martina said:

Considering that this is the WTT, one of the most useless competitions on the season, for me that 3A is perfect in that way. It ruined his stats, all the other 3A's he's done in SP in the senior category had a positive GOE, this is the only one that had a negative GOE, but that's okay in that program, I wouldn't want a different one.
However that negative GOE is a mistake. The bullets are:

1) very good height and very good length (of all jumps in a combo or sequence)
2) good take-off and landing
3) effortless throughout (including rhythm in Jump combination)
4) steps before the jump, unexpected or creative entry
5) very good body position from take-off to landing
6) element matches the music

In Yuzu's 3A there are bullets 1, 4 and 6, so we start from +3. The only applicable deduction is:

Weak landing (bad pos./wrong edge/scratching etc), from -1 to -3.

By rules, that jump deserved a mark between +2 and 0.

Well analyzed. Thank God we do not need to worry about scores and the system anymore. Our own judgment and support is all that counts now :agree:. So he is free to do all crazy combinations, sequences or saves he ever wanted to try and dreamt of without worrying about being degraded or misjudged :665e343793b9:. Looking forward to them. Ganbatte, Yuzu! :smiley-gen013:

45 minutes ago, ZuCritter said:

My sense is that his desire to compete was a complicated matter, with many conflicting impulses. I'm not sure even Yuzu himself understood at the time why he chose to continue after PC. In part, I think, it was the only life he knew, and, for all its demands and heartaches, less scary than turning pro. If he had mastered Nessie at any competition during that last quad, I think he might have quit the next day.

As for the Infernal Skating Union, hell is too good. I still hope it will go bankrupt and all the dirty laundry will get a thorough public airing.

I agree. Both on the doubts that Yuzu certainly had, and on wanting the ISU (and the JSF) will go bankrupt.