General Yuzuru Chat

I think Yuzuru know about  BV, Goe, pcs, politics .... more than all of us combine :laughing:  He is the one who compete in this system, he has a very experience team, those who has been in this sport for years. We try to calculate the scoring potential, using previous marks, but for sure, Yuzuru already did it, many time. Remember he looked at his score right after his skate and discuss with Brian at Skate canada,  or analyzed his WR protocols and highlighted all 10 he got :laughing:. He said after WC he would think really carefully about his strategy in Oly season. Whether how he up his BV, I'm sure he spend a lot of time to come up with that decision, and its the best for him, just like he decide to bring back Ballade. I just hope he stay healthy this season, both physically and mentality :smile:

I'm not worried about BV. I just like the speculation and playing scenarios in my mind. Though I did go to check that Russian post about the total BV statistics again and with a faulty SP (which lowered his BV), Yuzu had about a 16 BV difference from Nathan at Worlds, so he does have room to maneuver. And he's already increased his SP BV for next season by a little too. So yes, he can, so far, afford a bit of a difference. But those differences can raise if others raise their BV too.

To be honest, win or lose, I just want him to skate clean so whatever helps him do that. I might side-eye him a bit if he doesn't change anything in his FS and still brings Seimei 2.0, though. :facepalm: I also don't actually think Nathan will go for a 7-quad layout. I think his Worlds 6-quad layout will be what he'll probably use, with maybe some more backloading in both SP and FS. Training a 7-quad program will take way more stamina than I think he may be able to do regularly. Shoma, I've no idea if his 4Lz will be ready in time for the layout he's planning. Same for Javi and the 4Lo and Patrick and the 4F. Boyang will have the 4Lo though, since he was already training it last season so he'll bring it. 

So, yeah, Yuzu might not really need the 4Lz. But he might otherwise need to be clean in his FS pretty consistently. 

A bit of sunshine to dispel this gloominess

We're all worried for him because we want to see him happy, i know that. But we can't change the plan he has. We just have to trust him, he is the one competing, he must have studied things that maybe none of you who are debating about the upcoming challenges have thought about. It might not be apparent why he chose the path he will skate through this season, but we don't have to understand or know the reason. The only thing we can do is support him and i think that it's better for our nerves to calm down. It's still very early to worry about these things :)

I don't know why speculation and talk about things is considered worrying, though. Sure, we trust him, but that doesn't mean we can't discuss possible strategies. But I'll stop since obviously the subject is gloomy.

:space:

I am seconding @Katt (or is it third-ing? since @Yuazz already agreed): I hope Yuzu stays healthy, physically and mentally. Goodness knows the mental stress I would be succumbing to right about now with all he has to face.

Also, do we already know how the youngsters deal with Oly's pressure? Sure, most of it would be on Yuzu. But who's to say the youngsters have better mental strength than Yuzu? I am not wishing any ill on any of them - I sure hope they cope with it well, too - but all these talks about the technical sides, imo, kinda have to be accompanied by talks about the mental aspect of the competition. Which among the top 6, I think only Yuzu has had the 'training' going in.

So much to read here this morning. Thanks each of you for the great discussion!!!! The quads puzzle me too but anyway I feel confident for Yuzu´s chances. I believe before the Worlds last season Yuzu and the team did find new excellent ways for his training because he said in Helsinki that finally he has worked hard and it really paid off there. I´ve been wondering how they changed it, more hours on the ice, more quads, power training etc during the practice sessions or what. In Helsinki he was probably in the best shape ever. Now they know how to do it and hopefully it works for the Olys too. Being in top shape like that gives him self confidence and mental strength that is needed especially at Olys. As far as we know he has also been able to train without injuries now, unlike last season so he should have all the possibilities of making progress in his skating overall. At this point I believe Shoma is his main challenger because I have got the impression that he feels less pressure in competitions than the other top skaters.     

BTW, in an unrelated subject: in that recent TCC photo, it was mentioned that Yuzu was watching some simulations and later participated in them in the same group as Jun Hwan. I wonder what do these simulations entail? Were they doing runthroughs of their programs?

37 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

Also, do we already know how the youngsters deal with Oly's pressure? Sure, most of it would be on Yuzu. But who's to say the youngsters have better mental strength than Yuzu? I am not wishing any ill on any of them - I sure hope they cope with it well, too - but all these talks about the technical sides, imo, kinda have to be accompanied by talks about the mental aspect of the competition. Which among the top 6, I think only Yuzu has had the 'training' going in.

Yeah, this is a good point. Everyone says how the Olympic experience is different. Yuzu, Patrick and Javi have the advantage here, having experienced it before. Nathan seems pretty unflappable, though, but the Olympics IS different. Shoma, I don't know. He'll always have Yuzu as a buffer until he surpasses him or Yuzu r****s, so it's different for Shoma. And Boyang will probably just be happy to be there and steal your medals from under your noses. :laughing:

4 minutes ago, xeyra said:

BTW, in an unrelated subject: in that recent TCC photo, it was mentioned that Yuzu was watching some simulations and later participated in them in the same group as Jun Hwan. I wonder what do these simulations entail? Were they doing runthroughs of their programs?

The only thing I know about simulations is that they try to replicate as much as possible what it's like in actual competition.

I think of it as like a "dress rehearsal," and imagine that it must give the skaters a closer feeling to competing than just running through their programs in practice sessions.

Patrick talks a little bit about the simulations that they also do in Canton, and explains it better, here: http://www.insideskating.net/2016/10/28/interviews/patrick-chan-i-am-going-to-be-a-different-skater-this-year

Back in Canton, Nathan and I do a lot of simulations, and this, I think, helps me a lot! Marina picks four or five skaters, and we act like during a competition. It takes two days a week: we start with the short program run-through on Thursday, and we go on Friday with the long programs. Sometimes there is even an audience, and this makes us feel positively uncomfortable, since it’s not our normal training schedule, it’s more like during competitions.

When we do run-throughs during practice, it’s easier: you take your time, you warm up very well, and when you feel good, you start, so to get the perfect situation. Simulation is not that comfortable: you have just five minutes of warm-up and then you have to clear the ice and then when it’s your turn you immediately enter and have to start the run-through. Waiting for our turn makes us all a lot more nervous, also excited, and we feel the pressure to be on the ice alone with people watching. This way, the body gets used to move in that uncomfortable situation, like during a real competition. It’s very important to stay focused on getting a feel of your body and the crucial is to try to control every part of it.

Just now, katonice said:

The only thing I know about simulations is that they try to replicate as much as possible what it's like in actual competition.

I think of it as like a "dress rehearsal," and imagine that it must give the skaters a closer feeling to competing than just running through their programs in practice sessions.

Patrick talks a little bit about the simulations that they also do in Canton, and explains it better, here: http://www.insideskating.net/2016/10/28/interviews/patrick-chan-i-am-going-to-be-a-different-skater-this-year

Yeah, I was wondering if this would have been that kind of simulation, since the last time TCC did simulations, Yuzu didn't participate in them, but I think that was probably because it was out of TCC pre-Worlds simulations. 

Just now, xeyra said:

Yeah, I was wondering if this would have been that kind of simulation, since the last time TCC did simulations, Yuzu didn't participate in them, but I think that was probably because it was out of TCC pre-Worlds simulations. 

Actually, I thought simulations were done closer to the competition schedule. Like when Javi attended a simulation event in Canada a few weeks before Worlds last season. I guess it's really something that's done regularly.