General Yuzuru Chat

On 6/20/2017 at 1:47 AM, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

I SO understand the amusement part! (In this case, I particularly love dorky Yuzu - like at the start of KnH2 - or very すなお Yuzu, like in a very early interview, when the interviewer (I forgot who it was ^^; ) twice went like, "just HOW old are you?" and he was, sweetly smiling, "16才です" ^_^

Pardon the walk down memory lane, please. ;)

As I said, translating and interpreting is part of my job so usually I get paid for it - sometimes extra paid :P;) - but over the years in fandoms I love/d I've done it just for the fun of sharing and to try my best to let overseas fans know what really was said.

I guess I might be a bit picky/paranoid about it since a 2007 - iirc - really very well meant translation said the opposite of the Japanese article because google translate doesn't really handle all those "hiragana tails" to verbally used kanji well. (Or actually, not at all. :P )

Anyhow, please feel free to contact me any time about Japanese or translation questions. I can't promise I'll answer immediately but answer I will.

Ah I watched that interview and yep, I laughed so hard at the interviewer's tone when he said that and Yuzu's cheeky grin afterwards lol. I assume you're a JP -> Eng translator? I'm always incredibly grateful for the free work that translators do out of love - I couldn't have gotten into so many fandoms without them! As my Japanese skill increased, I tried to translate some things as a way of 'giving back'  Yes, I totally understand the paranoia about what a bad translation can do, so I try to be careful and put disclaimers when I'm not sure about something. I usually only use Google translate for new vocab but it can be pretty tricky and unreliable! Thank you, I definitely will in the future~

2 hours ago, sister555 said:

Hey, I just remembered in Japan Nathan Chen is quite famous for being "terrible".

No no, he's quite a good athlete, but he speaks way too fast for interpreters to catch up with!!

You might remember in the press conference of the Worlds (!?  I think), he is asked to speak slower, apologises, and then goes back to his normal speed!!  I wonder which is "worse", Yuzuru or Nathan>???

Maybe Nathan is trying to emulate Yuzuru in every way! :laughing:

On 6/20/2017 at 2:00 AM, kaerb said:

Ah I watched that interview and yep, I laughed so hard at the interviewer's tone when he said that and Yuzu's cheeky grin afterwards lol. I assume you're a JP -> Eng translator? I'm always incredibly grateful for the free work that translators do out of love - I couldn't have gotten into so many fandoms without them! As my Japanese skill increased, I tried to translate some things as a way of 'giving back'  Yes, I totally understand the paranoia about what a bad translation can do, so I try to be careful and put disclaimers when I'm not sure about something. I usually only use Google translate for new vocab but it can be pretty tricky and unreliable! Thank you, I definitely will in the future~

I'm qualified as translator/interpreter but I did that way way back when in university for supplemental income. ;) In my work it's a side benefit to my company that I can do it. 

Practically speaking, I am trilingual and can translate either way. Interpret, as well, but I never did simultaneous, and have avoided unscripted, not so much because I couldn't do it, but because you never know - especially in politics - when some idiot shoots of their mouth and you only have the choice of translating accurately and be crucified or make it sound less offensive and still be crucified, if by different people from the first. 

And some things I'd never do because I know I don't have the requisite knowledge, like attempting E > J for a Stephen Hawking lecture. I can comprehend what he says in English - barely, sometimes - but putting that into Japanese? 

Oh, for just kanji check, do you know Jim Breen's edict? It has its own weirdnesses but at one time it was popular with language students and at least might provide additional info.

13 minutes ago, 五十嵐 美幸 said:

I'm qualified as translator/interpreter but I did that way way back when in university for supplemental income. ;) In my work it's a side benefit to my company that I can do it. 

Practically speaking, I am trilingual and can translate either way. Interpret, as well, but I never did simultaneous, and have avoided unscripted, not so much because I couldn't do it, but because you never know - especially in politics - when some idiot shoots of their mouth and you only have the choice of translating accurately and be crucified or make it sound less offensive and still be crucified, if by different people from the first. 

And some things I'd never do because I know I don't have the requisite knowledge, like attempting E > J for a Stephen Hawking lecture. I can comprehend what he says in English - barely, sometimes - but putting that into Japanese? 

Oh, for just kanji check, do you know Jim Breen's edict? It has its own weirdnesses but at one time it was popular with language students and at least might provide additional info.

Ah, how interesting! I've always wanted to be a true polyglot and be able to have reading/writing ability. I really admire interpreters so much, especially in high stakes situations like politics - so much pressure! I'd say I'm a fairly fluent Chinese background speaker but I don't have the vocab to discuss complex politics either, or to translate nuances across from English. It's also partly cultural understanding too - like knowing how to use idioms or figurative language to carry over the 'vibe'/spirit of the expression too. It's truly a feat for translators to do their jobs well. I will check out Jim Breen's edict, thank you! I used to use Jisho.org a lot and I enjoy using my phone because I have the written input in Chinese so I can literally trace the kanji and it usually registers. 

Just listened to Nathan Chen's interviews - he does speak quite fast, though I'd say I've heard teenagers talk at that speed when excited or nervous about something, particularly kids who are quite book smart or fast to react to things. He doesn't take many pauses at all and definitely gives a similar vibe to Yuzu. I also find the American accent (Nathan's in particular) tends to cause people to 'nip' off their word endings, so that's harder to catch too, for interpreters. 

:7562096:https://t.co/HfKEDHSM7R:7562096:

A magazine's twitter:

"The magazine's name: "Song, Chorus, Opera HANNA magazine"

"The July issue is already on the market. A popular serial publication,

"Singing Voice of Figure Skating" in which there is the performance

analysis of "Notte Stellata" by Yuzuru Hanyu. This issue is the last

one for this series, already had twice in May and June. This time is

a special edition on Yuzuru Hanyu, so please don't miss it ! "