General Yuzuru Chat

55 minutes ago, Salior said:

wow just checked the rules, that's awesome lmao. The media vote looks silly though, how many journalists cover ice dance compared to singles skating? Bold of ISU to assume that they're more knowledgeable than the fans 

I'd say let's still try to crush them in the most valuable and best costume category though haha, maybe even most entertaining program too! Even though public scores only 1/3 of the total score. From the FAQ it seems like they're trying to put about 5 skaters/pairs for each discipline to put up for voting in each category, but only 3 nominees in total will remain in the end

Saw this article by Mags a while ago, seems like ISU tried to emulate other sports awards but made it turn out like a joke. I mean none of the awards are technical related? How are they going to get prestige like the hockey and basketball awards like this. 

https://sportymags.wordpress.com/2019/06/19/fs-figure-skating-awards-an-idea-for-the-isu/?fbclid=IwAR31CNcveQVEU-hzV-S8uzEgLiZ410-uA8MlqFmbdrvn2oSquBFmZvVTYh8 

no no we all know these people train for years since they are small kids so one day they can win the best FS costume award....forget Worlds medal ,that's what they aim for:rolleyes:

I wasn't going to register and vote because I think ISU people are just a bunch of clowns,but if it is for trolling this ridicoulous show count me in ;P

So Yuzu's power of suggestion: thanks to the Ghana CM, I had to have hot chocolate for breakfast. Sans marshmallows &co, but still! 

1 hour ago, Songster01 said:

By chance does anyone have a link to a clip of Yuzuru jumping (maybe a 3A?) from a standstill backstage that appeared after ACI?  I forget if he was wearing a costume or not in the clip. 

Wasn't that part of an On Ice Perspectives video? 

3 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Wasn't that part of an On Ice Perspectives video? 

My memory is that it was from a Japanese broadcast, either for the event or from a news report.  OIP showed Yuzu getting off ice with other skaters and a moment with Ghislain and Pooh (before or after the VC).

4 minutes ago, Songster01 said:

My memory is that it was from a Japanese broadcast, either for the event or from a news report.  OIP showed Yuzu getting off ice with other skaters and a moment with Ghislain and Pooh (before or after the VC).

Oh, you might be right. 

21 hours ago, Salior said:

Brian once said Yuzu's fanmails often stack up from the floor to his shoulders. I seriously doubt he can reply to all of them now, his fandom probably exploded more than 100x since 2012, after two high profile Olympics and all. You should see the charts where they keep track of new members of Yuzu fan groups on Weibo and FB etc, the spike after Olympics are insane. Each time he breaks a record they experience a spike as well. Weibo went from like 200k to 640k followers (~2015-2019)? FB went from like 7k to 20k members (2016-2018). It makes more sense for him to reply to earlier fanmails before 2014 since there's not much of them yet comparatively. Nonchan is a well-known translator of Aoi Hono among the fandom too, not sure if Yuzu knows about that, but considering how much he lurks, maybe. 

I believe most of them are held during the off-season? The last one I remember was by P&G where he ended up with a book this thick lol. Most fan initiatives will occur near his birthday? Not sure if there's one this year, anyone knows about it? 

But for real I'd say really don't worry about it, I've sent a couple of stuff myself and I don't expect him to reply. What's important is that he knows he is loved, and whether he replies or not is secondary to me imo. It's hard not to expect anything, but I've accepted that going through his fanmails and replying them will probably need a full time job. Maybe he'll go through like... 8 years of backlog after he retires? lmao. I hope he doesn't though, it sounds exhausting, and it's not my intention to exhaust him when I send him stuff.

It's just difficult to devote individual attention when there's so many of us. We can have faith that if we send things through the right channels it'll definitely reach him, and that's enough for me. Brian is a very responsible fanmail collector haha, so is JSF! 

Well, I have been job searching to not work on Friday or Saturday as much anymore and attend more figure skating events (another reason is that I want to switch my career field). I just hope that would fall through before March. I have even jump-started my Japanese language self studies (entering Japanese school in September), so practicing with the Japanese fans sounds fun. Might book tickets just around the men's practices and the men's free program (my line of credit comes in handy and the interest rate is only 7%). As for accommodation, my dad and stepmother live in Montreal but I don't want to look like I am leeching off them even just for a few days, so what kind of options should I look at? Never tried airbnb, possibly a motel(?), and hotels are too expensive (even the ones near the downtown core).

2 hours ago, Cynthia said:

Well, I have been job searching to not work on Friday or Saturday as much anymore and attend more figure skating events (another reason is that I want to switch my career field). I just hope that would fall through before March. I have even jump-started my Japanese language self studies (entering Japanese school in September), so practicing with the Japanese fans sounds fun. Might book tickets just around the men's practices and the men's free program (my line of credit comes in handy and the interest rate is only 7%). As for accommodation, my dad and stepmother live in Montreal but I don't want to look like I am leeching off them even just for a few days, so what kind of options should I look at? Never tried airbnb, possibly a motel(?), and hotels are too expensive (even the ones near the downtown core).

If you go onto the Worlds thread (not the ticket market thread though) you might be able to find people willing to share an airbnb or a hotel room.  I belong to one such group, though it is full up, but I imagine there are more.  If you don't get a nibble rn, you should try again in the new year when people's minds will be turning towards late-season events.  I imagine there are hostels there as well, but I've never used them in North America and so have no idea what the quality is or where they are located. 

AFAIK practice tickets and competition tickets are still available.  And ofc the ticket market for both all-events and singles should become busier in the new year.  Practice tickets are cheap and you might find yourself in a more decent seating location than for the competition tickets (depending on your budget for the latter).  Good luck!

Jp media pressures Yuzu so much with questions about World Records, Nathan and so on, that I sometimes think it will be impossible for Yuzu to compete for the joy of skating, not because of Yuzu, but because JP media will never be satisfied with Yuzu just enjoying himself on the ice.

I really dislike this whole media pressure they force on Yuzu, it's too much.

Is it because they watch so much sports anime there that they always have to have an athlete that always wins and breaks records?
I hope they just let him breathe and be human and make mistakes and still be okay with it. 
Why does Yuzu have to be perfect for them? To be honest the level of expectation and pressure they have been exuding these last press conferences at NHK with all those WR related questions was ridiculous and over the top. I'm mad at the judges for underscoring him, but more mad at the JP media for constantly making him feel like some robot that always has to deliver for their entertainment and surprise. 

12 hours ago, Cynthia said:

my dad and stepmother live in Montreal but I don't want to look like I am leeching off them even just for a few days,

Hey, it's your family, so you decide. If it were me, I would totally be a leech, and just cook for them or bring some baking as thanks. But it also depends where they live, if they're not close to the Bell Center you might be better off trying a hotel or AirBnb. There are also hostels.

I don't know what your budget is like, but try looking up a few different places and see what you can afford. Most of the downtown Montreal hotels are more than $150 a night during Worlds, so you might also want to try finding someone to share with.

1 hour ago, quadaxelwin said:

Jp media pressures Yuzu so much with questions about World Records, Nathan and so on, that I sometimes think it will be impossible for Yuzu to compete for the joy of skating, not because of Yuzu, but because JP media will never be satisfied with Yuzu just enjoying himself on the ice.

I really dislike this whole media pressure they force on Yuzu, it's too much.

Is it because they watch so much sports anime there that they always have to have an athlete that always wins and breaks records?
I hope they just let him breathe and be human and make mistakes and still be okay with it. 
Why does Yuzu have to be perfect for them? To be honest the level of expectation and pressure they have been exuding these last press conferences at NHK with all those WR related questions was ridiculous and over the top. I'm mad at the judges for underscoring him, but more mad at the JP media for constantly making him feel like some robot that always has to deliver for their entertainment and surprise. 

JSF: *doesn't politick for him in an an insanely political environment where athletes from all other big feds are getting generous boosts to keep up with each other's inflation*

Media, Commentators: *won't shut up about the achievements and many superior talents of his direct rivals*

Yuzu: *does an excellent job*

Media, JSF: Why wasn't it a world record...we thought you were the best... Somewhat Of A Disappointment...you were supposed to cure cancer during the FCCoSp...guess you tried...+3

5 hours ago, fyere0 said:

Media, JSF: Why wasn't it a world record...we thought you were the best... Somewhat Of A Disappointment...you were supposed to cure cancer during the FCCoSp...guess you tried...+3

25 minutes ago, Pika said:

It isn't funny but I can't stop laughing.... They don't deserve him. 

me too,I really shouldn't laugh but @fyere0 was too funny!

Ah well guess after the day from hell I had my brain just gave up ,so thank you really!

Anyhow he of course cannot do that but today about the same time of his skating I had to face a pretty delicate situation at work,I thought about it and i faced the music so there's that!