General Yuzuru Chat

On 6/25/2018 at 9:29 AM, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I always find it a little weird when people say he looks like a twink. Like, I kinda get where they are coming from because it's not like I dunno what a twink is supposed to look like and he  does fit the bill if you're not looking closely enough but for some reason, from the first moment I saw him (Sochi's Individual Men's PW), all I could see was an alpha predator. Like he was skinny and fresh-faced and acting all cute and stuff, and back then I had yet to see him ultra-focused and intense and I still hadn't yet found out about his character nor his personality, but I just couldn't shake the vibe even then and can't quite understand why some of these other people can't see it...it's quite obvious though I can't pinpoint how so..

Sorry for the late, late reply but learning that anyone sees Yuzu as a twink might have broken my mind... I hope it just means the word is used differently than I remember :notamused:

I think alpha/apex predator is a great way to describe his place in the skating world, especially because of how it fits with the concept of him as an alien or super-evolved human. The first of his kind (on Earth), a class unto himself, unprecedented and unmatched!

1 hour ago, Yoa said:

I don't understand anything but something about Yuzu

Ok, I'm going to give translating Brian's interview a shot (but my Japanese is pretty shabby, so I'm just going to paraphrase the key points, and if anyone wants to add/correct anything, please do!):

- Interview took place while Brian was in Kobe

- About Yuzu's right ankle injury: His condition has improved. He can jump things such as 4T, 3L, and 3A. He's looking/working with the necessary patience towards the long-term.

- About increase in GOE range: Men's FS has also decreased from 4:30 to 4:00, which is more difficult. But our team's skaters are strong/focused on building skating skills and gaining speed without much effort, and those will become our strong points.

- About new rules affecting Yuzu: It's a good change. He's a very all-round skater, not just a jumper. He has distinctive spins and steps and great technique, and he can handle all types of choreography. 

- Has Yuzu changed after winning OGM twice?: Nope. He's always 100% motivated, and it's amazing that his motivation/energy hasn't decreased. He loves to skate and to compete. He's matured, and he carries more responsibilities. He always has various goals he aims towards.

- About 4A: If he's healthy, there's no reason for him to not try it. He has great technique. Last year he tried challenging it a little, but then he had to focus on the upcoming Olympic season. Now, the situation has changed. Yuzu is ambitious, I can't stop him if he wants to try something. Provided that he proceeds healthily/properly, that is. 

- About Zhenya moving to TCC: She's an amazingly hard worker. For Yuzu, that's a good thing. I'm very much looking forward to it.

ETA: whoops, too slow! better check out Yude's translation linked above!

48 minutes ago, dodobirdo said:

She's an amazingly hard worker. For Yuzu, that's a good thing. I'm very much looking forward to it.

So, is Brian planning to encourage competition between them then? And how come no one ever asks about how Boyang's presence will affect Yuzu? Inquiring minds want to know!

5 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

So, is Brian planning to encourage competition between them then? And how come no one ever asks about how Boyang's presence will affect Yuzu? Inquiring minds want to know!

We still haven't heard an official source from CHN fed about Boyang though. Is it long-term and official?

5 hours ago, Yatagarasu said:

If we're lucky we'll get the GP assignments tomorrow and then let the angst begin. Fun, I mean fun. Not really.

Come on, Skate Canada! Yuzu-baby needs a new gold for his collection!!:devilYuzu:

It has nothing to do with me having tickets, no sirree Bob.Not why I'm rooting for it at all :p

6 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

We still haven't heard an official source from CHN fed about Boyang though. Is it long-term and official?

I though it was. Gabby Daleman seemed to think so when she mentioned it in one of her YouTube vlogs. Someone asked her what she thought of Evgenia's arrival and Gabby was just all giddy and excited about having all of them at the rink, and mentioned Boyang by name.

7 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

It looks like he's not at TCC currently, he's still in China which is opposed to what Brian originally thought, that he'd be there mid-June, much like Jason and Zhenya but it might have been postponed a bit as he has that ice show later on. No, there wasn't any 'official' announcement but it is possible that they think what was already said was enough. 

Btw is there a thread for GP assignments?

Just because I'm wondering if Yuzu does NHK and SC, where would Shoma go since he has to avoid other WC medalists as well that JPN fed might want him to avoid Yuzu. Is a scenario like that possible? If not will he have to meet Yuzu at a GP at least once?

20 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I'm sure if asked it will be a generic answer. But I'm confident that they are both super mature and nice people, so it will work out well. Having a rival is really special - it motivates you at every practice. Plus Zu can now see infinitely many perfect Lutz - I hope he will nail it one day.

Thanks for the translations! My kanji is too shabby to read that quickly...

I love how Japanese likes to use the double negative: "There's no reason not to try". If Brian were Japanese, it may have come out as: "there's probably no reason not to try isn't there".

2 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

Btw is there a thread for GP assignments?

Of course! Things like that are always in Knickknacks, we've been going on and on for ages. Tomorrow's a relief :laughing:

You, and everyone really! are cordially invited to

10 minutes ago, wingman said:

Plus Zu can now see infinitely many perfect Lutz - I 

This is really what I am hoping Brian will say if asked.:knc_brian2:

12 minutes ago, Forcefield said:

If not will he have to meet Yuzu at a GP at least once

I would enjoy that!