General Yuzuru Chat

10 minutes ago, liv said:

Akiko doesn't look anything like Yuzu, no facial similarities...unless someone smartly tells me they both have 2 eyes, nose etc :) I had better stop playing this game or i 'll match him up with someone and I should not do that, lol!!  See? No water makes cacti crazy!

Guys seriously, there is a lady who fits this criteria, and it's Yuzuki Hanyu. Remember? She can do 3As and quads!

Now that nationals all over are pretty much done I decided go review how those who are viewed as the closest contenders in PC did.  LIke the GPF, there were two significant absences, Yuzu and Boyang.  On the basis of their performances I have to say right now that I think Nathan is the biggest threat to Yuzu, even if you take into account the score inflation that frequently happens at the nationals (probably the major reason that record scores there are not recognized as official by the ISU).  My reasoning is that Nathan's victory at US nationals was a blowout by any definition.  More importantly, his combined score of just over 315 points was the only one of the five to hit the 300 mark.  Patrick's was the lowest - 272 - and the other three (Mikhail, Shoma and Javi) were in the 280s.  It's Nathan's margin over the silver medalist, though, that is most impressive.  Nearly 41 points divide them.  Nathan's victory there highlights the fact that he has been the most successful of the major skaters this season.  Quite simply he hasn't lost any of the four international competitions in which he was entered.  In short, hesitate before you criticize US media if they are blowing Nathan's horn.  He is as good as they say he is, which for me is rather chastening.  Going into the season I was seeing Shoma as Yuzu's principal challenger, and while I still think Shoma poses a significant threat to Yuzu I don't think it is now as great as Nathan's.  Boyang remains an enigma since, like Yuzu, he's missed a portion of the season (including Chinese nationals) and I don't know whether he'll be at 4CC or not.  At least in 4CC we'll be able to see (maybe) four of the major contenders for medals at PC - Shoma, Boyang, Nathan and Patrick.  Javi and Mikhail will be possible entrants at Europeans, although one can't be certain whether Mikhail will skate it or not.  Javi will definitely be there, as he's taken the European Championship for the last five years straight.  I'm sure he'd like to make it six in a row.  In fact, I think Javi's record at Europeans is sufficient to have these years known as the Javier Fernandez years when the history of the European championships are written.  His victory at Spanish nationals this year was a foregone conclusion, particularly as there were only three men entered in the men's competition, meaning all three were guaranteed podium places.  By and large, then, I feel that heading into PC Nathan must be seen as the skater leading the charge against Yuzu who, despite his long absence this season, must still be seen as the heavy favorite for gold.  A lot will be revealed if he participates in the team competition, IF he participates, since I'm not certain he will decide to do so.  There are both pluses and minuses on that issue.  One certainty we have as PC approaches (it's hard to think it's less than a month away) is that Yuzu's path to gold is not going to be a slam-dunk.  Whereas in Sochi his victory was largely a combination of his world-record SP and the fact he made less mistakes in the FS than others, this time around he's going to have to skate better than clean in both programs because right now in Nathan Chen Yuzu is facing a challenger who's been peaking the entire season.