General Yuzuru Chat

About the NYT article, I must say I surprise this come from NYT, as a former journalist. Its not bad, it has some good parts, but overall it lack of depth and the author just throw opinions without any analysis. I just don't know what's the main topic ? From the article, it should be focus on his greatness and Pooh, but half of it talk about his large fandom, another part is focus on his season so far. Seem like the author was at COR, gather things from interview there and some from the past and put it in a bigger title/article than it should be. I feel like this author's intention is not to praise him, but to shade him/and his fans at some points. But that's just me. 

1 minute ago, SparkleSalad said:

I wouldn't have thought so but according to the article... 

The thing is, he's way too popular, so any unforeseen encounter with a fan can affect his frame of mind, and he feels he has to be focused. So since bus trips can involve him being recognised and stalked, he's better off avoiding them, I guess. 

He never asked to be this popular, but he is. And sometimes popularity has a darker side to it. But the more elusive he is, the more exciting it is to spot anything to do with him. I don't think there's any skater as reclusive as him now. 

1 minute ago, Katt said:

About the NYT article, I must say I surprise this come from NYT, as a former journalist. Its not bad, it has some good parts, but overall it lack of depth and the author just throw opinions without any analysis. I just don't know what's the main topic ? From the article, it should be focus on his greatness and Pooh, but half of it talk about his large fandom, another part is focus on his season so far. Seem like the author was at COR, gather things from interview there and some from the past and put it in a bigger title/article than it should be. I feel like this author's intention is not to praise him, but to shade him/and his fans at some points. But that's just me. 

Well, my impression is that CoR was the only competition the writer bothered studying and watching, so s/he has no idea why on earth Yuzu is so popular. But shading him and the fans? They failed then. 

I thought the article was fine. I didn't see anything overtly negative. It is an obsession. He is the Pope. Seeing him does change your life. I thought the fans quoted were very eloquent and there are probably a lot worse they could have printed. Actually, the only negative I really saw was Cranky Franky but Stephane and Midori balanced that out (I love them.) 

2 minutes ago, Sammie said:

I was reading someone twt about it. 

I want to yell and jump but it's the middle of the night...

13 minutes ago, Fay said:

Well, my impression is that CoR was the only competition the writer bothered studying and watching, so s/he has no idea why on earth Yuzu is so popular. But shading him and the fans? They failed then. 

I think the writer don't know Yuzuru is that popular and the level of emotional investment comes from his fans. But good thing that he/she point out how important Yuzuru is to this sport. Considering my low standard on US media when it comes to figure skating and things they wrote about Yuzuru in the past, this article is actually ok ( but still not on a level I use to expect from NYT)

22 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

I had the feeling they were trying to explain his impact through them, as quite a bit of the article was about that. It had a serious tone throughout, at least for me.

I didn't really see it as doom and gloom, I think it is a pretty decent take on what is going on. The one thing that it is missing is perhaps more of an explanation on why Yuzuru is going for upping his tech but that's asking a bit too much.

IDK I thought it was quite good from a media point of view; arguably the most respected paper, a serious write up, in American media, at this point in time. 

I actually had the same reading as xeyra. 

The author even says “this is a story about obsession” and that’s not exactly a flattering line. Couple that with Jackie’s quote (which I’m sure was half joking) and I think it’s more an article about how his fans are obsessed with him. I do like that they put what country each fan they quoted was from to show not every one of his fans were Japanese, but it’s obvious they cherry-picked the more extreme examples to include. 

They also got some techcnical details wrong and I’m not a fan of how they framed his drive to up his tech, as I think he would’ve done it anyway even without his competitors competing the harder jumps. 

I AM surprised however that this is front page.