General Yuzuru Chat

mcq said:
Ok finally listening to it. Starts at 28.40 for the Yuzu part (I don't know which Nick is which. Kind of recognized Jackie's voice. Sorry.) :embSwan: 

Will update the transcript as I listen to it, they talked about US men first and how Nathan dominated nationally, then... but internationally... this is where Yuzu part starts

Not verbatim, I reword/concise it but it is more or less what they were saying.

"Nick : When you look at it internationally, Yuzuru Hanyu reclaims his world title, and I think Javi falters in that FS but also Yuzuru Hanyu went out reclaiming his world title and went out with that FS, how does it feel inside the arena?

JW : I meant, it was magical right? Like it was like... I am sure that GPF 2 years ago and at NHK, and it was just like, obviously at WC you got huge contingent of Japanese fans there cheering and I am pretty sure it was pretty packed if not sold out that night. And it was just electrifying, it was just.. You can see with every single jump there was more and more momentum behind him. And you know when he got off that ice, you knew it was going to be another world record. It was a more difficult program than what he showed at GPF. Maybe it is not the most popular, but my thoughts on his the very best ever is still the GPF. Lower difficulty but higher quality program than what he had this year. But like you said, he did win that WC. If Javi has skated a clean FS, he did have that huge lead going in, I think probably they would give it to him, but it would take perfection from him."

Nick: This is a point that could be argued, but I think Yuzuru Hanyu needed that in a sense. I meant, even if he wouldn't have won worlds, I still think we would have said, going into the olympics, that he is the best skater out there right now. And that he is the favorite. but for him, to do what he did in Helsinki, I felt like,, he proved to himself for the first time in a while that he can do that. And you know.. Kind of reminded the Shoma unos, the Javis and the rest of the guys like... "hey, I'm top dog, and we're going to South Korea and I will be the favorite there."

JW : Well, it's getting awfully crowded at the top now, I meant... (someone cuts: BIG 6) And I think Brian orser might have said this and maybe Yuzu did, that he needed this one. Like last 2 WC he lead after the SP and blew it so (someone: lose it to Javi), and then you saw Nathan outscore him at the FS at GPF and beat him at 4CC. And if Yuzu had gone with an error prone FS at worlds, and got beaten, he will be going to the season next year with a lot of people questioning : "can Yuzuru deliver under pressure?" Cause you know, he hadn't, for perhaps... 3 years, and you know like you said he really needed it. He's kind of re-grabbed that position, now a lot can change when you look at shoma Uno and Jin Boyang, but Yuzu's got to be feeling really good going into the off-season (or next season?). "

LOL he has always been 'deliver(ing) under pressure'. What 3 years? What (3) years? He did well in NHK 2015, GPF 2015, and Worlds SP 2016 and his silver was due to injury. Then he did 4Lo in 2016, won GPF 2016 (fine, not perfect but he's the first guy to do it 4 times consecutively), manages to YOLO his FS layout while under heat, broke FS WR at Worlds 2017 and became 2017 World Champ, he has always had a record of making tremendous comebacks (I call him King of Comebacks sometimes), so idk why ppl always say he can't or he hasn't been delivering under pressure? Who skates with the amount of pressure he has? Name me any other skater. Not Pchiddy, media doesnt hype him that much. Not Javi, Spain doesnt care abt FS. Boyang? China cares more abt pairs and Boyang himself knows he still needs to work on PCS. Nate? A bit more now, but he still has respite from the fact that men's skating just came from depression so the media have merely begun to hype. For him it's just starting. Shoma? Shoma said so himself that he didn't know Yuzu had been bearing so much expectations and pressure until he was gone and Shoma was without a deflector at Nationals. When Yuzu skates, media hypes, oh, will he fall and will the new ace rise, oh is his tine over? Media speculates and tabloids spin yarns. Hosts on tv bait him and everyone waits for him to fall into the pitholes. Federations score against him and push others up. Analysts say 'he can't deliver under pressure'. Antis and people who do not actually know anything about the technicalities of skating spew nonsense about how his skating is nonsense and cannot compare to the "complexities" and "beauty" of other skaters (beauty is subjective, but it shld also be backed up with good evidence and it"s subjectiveness is not an excuse to be blind). He puts pressure on himself. He skates for himself, his choreo, his choreographers, his coaches, his family, Sendai, Tohoku, his fans, the people who have all contributed or helped him in one way or another, and for the future of skating. And he still delivers, and on both sides, the technical and artistic. This is the guy who went from 7th to 3rd at 2012 Worlds while injured. This is the guy who went from iirc 9th to 4th at 2013 Worlds while injured. This is the guy who went from 3rd to World Champ. This is the guy who went to Olys bearing Japan's expectations and grabbed gold. The guy who overcame himself to set the 3WRs anew 2 weeks after he first broke them. And we have ppl telling us that he can't. deliver. under pressure. Someone tell me a bigger joke? (then again, they are US analysts so)

It's this type of minute brainwashing that influences commentators, influences analysts, influences the audience and most importantly, influences the judges. Soon, it permeates the skating circles that Hanyu Yuzuru cannot skate under pressure. It's not whether he can, it will become whether everyone has the impression he can. Impressions are poeerful, and impressions are also insidious. I'm sorry if this sounds cynical, but this is how power games are played.

jinabee said:
mcq said:
Ok finally listening to it. Starts at 28.40 for the Yuzu part (I don't know which Nick is which. Kind of recognized Jackie's voice. Sorry.) :embSwan: 

Will update the transcript as I listen to it, they talked about US men first and how Nathan dominated nationally, then... but internationally... this is where Yuzu part starts

"Nick : When you look at it internationally, Yuzuru Hanyu reclaims his world title, and I think Javi falters in that FS but also Yuzuru Hanyu went out reclaiming his world title and went out with that FS, how does it feel inside the arena?

JW : I meant, it was magical right? Like it was like... I am sure that GPF 2 years ago and at NHK, and it was just like, obviously at WC you got huge contingent of Japanese fans there cheering and I am pretty sure it was pretty packed if not sold out that night. And it was just electrifying, it was just.. You can see with every single jump there was more and more momentum behind him. And you know when he got off that ice, you knew it was going to be another world record. It was a more difficult program than what he showed at GPF. Maybe it is not the most popular, but my thoughts on his the very best ever is still the GPF. Lower difficulty but higher quality program than what he had this year. But like you said, he did win that WC. If Javi has skated a clean FS, he did had that huge lead going in, I think probably they would give it to him if, but it would take perfection from him."

Nick: This is a point that could be argued, but I think Yuzuru Hanyu needed that in a sense. I meant, even if he wouldn't have won worlds, I still think we would have said, going into the olympics, that he is the best skater out there right now. And that he is the favorite. but for him, to do what he did in Helsinki, I felt like,, he proved to himself for the first time in a while that he can do that. And you know.. Kind of reminded the Shoma unos, the Javis and the rest of the guys like... "hey, I'm top dog, and we're going to South Korea and I will be the favorite there."

JW : Well, it's getting awfully crowded at the top now, I meant... (someone cuts: BIG 6) And I think Brian orser might have said this and maybe Yuzu did, that he needed this one. Like last 2 WC he lead after the SP and blew it so (someone: lose it to Javi), and then you saw Nathan outscore him at the FS at GPF and beat him at 4CC. And if Yuzu had gone with an error prone FS at worlds, and got beaten, he will be going to the season next year with a lot of people questioning : "can Yuzuru deliver under pressure?" Cause you know, he hadn't, for perhaps... 3 years, and you know like you said he really needed it. He's kind of re-grabbed that position, now a lot can change when you look at shoma Uno and Jin Boyang, but Yuzu's got to be feeling really good going into the off-season (or next season?). "

thank you!

I assume that at the end when they say 'if he hadnt won WC we'd be questioning if he can deliver under pressure because he hasn't for three years' they mean the two years he hadn't managed to get gold at worlds, despite managing to maintain GPF gold...but, those two years had issues, 14-15 was just...a mess of a season full of injuries and 15-16 he had a major injury when it was time for worlds...in which case it wasn't a problem with delivering under pressure. Though I guess that was the question forming through the season since he had the pressure of the previous season and the weight of next season looming over him...

But Helsinki was a nice little reminder to the reckless youth that even if they have higher BV and even if he bombs his short, he can win because he is that much better than everyone else on the feild.

Agreed!

I agree. It's a false narrative. And that's why this win was so crucial, to fight back.

Another little thing to diminish him is to say it's only the Japanese fans cheering him. Of course they are amazing. But if the truth came out that I, an American, am cheering harder for him than for my own country's skaters, it wouldn't fit the storyline they want to present. Great skating is great skating. Who cares what country you're from?

beki said:
AppleEmperor said:
xeyra said:
Bringing this back from SC 2016 practice which I found while going through the Media Thread compilation. He was having a hard time concentrating on his own practice with that music on; he kept trying to do the other choreo. :) 

Same Yuzu same. I can't listen to the same cut of RJ 1 without seeing his choreo in my head

I can't listen to any cut of it without seeing him. I don't think it favors anyone else to use it, but its popularity shows his influence.

Yeah I'm always like "no wait you're doing it wrong"

Hydroblade said:
Say hello to

:darklordyuzu:Devil Yuzu

:ohno:  painful Yuzu

:embSwan:  and embarrassed Swan :D

:goe: 

edit:

the50person said:

LOL he has always been 'deliver(ing) under pressure'. What 3 years? What (3) years? He did well in NHK 2015, GPF 2015, and Worlds SP 2016 and his silver was due to injury. Then he did 4Lo in 2016, won GPF 2016 (fine, not perfect but he's the first guy to do it 4 times consecutively), manages to YOLO his FS layout while under heat, broke FS WR at Worlds 2017 and became 2017 World Champ, he has always had a record of making tremendous comebacks (I call him King of Comebacks sometimes), so idk why ppl always say he can't or he hasn't been delivering under pressure? Who skates with the amount of pressure he has? Name me any other skater. Not Pchiddy, media doesnt hype him that much. Not Javi, Spain doesnt care abt FS. Boyang? China cares more abt pairs and Boyang himself knows he still needs to work on PCS. Nate? A bit more now, but he still has respite from the fact that men's skating just came from depression so the media have merely begun to hype. For him it's just starting. Shoma? Shoma said so himself that he didn't know Yuzu had been bearing so much expectations and pressure until he was gone and Shoma was without a deflector at Nationals. When Yuzu skates, media hypes, oh, will he fall and will the new ace rise, oh is his tine over? Media speculates and tabloids spin yarns. Hosts on tv bait him and everyone waits for him to fall into the pitholes. Federations score against him and push others up. Analysts say 'he can't deliver under pressure'. Antis and people who do not actually know anything about the technicalities of skating spew nonsense about how his skating is nonsense and cannot compare to the "complexities" and "beauty" of other skaters (beauty is subjective, but it shld also be backed up with good evidence and it"s subjectiveness is not an excuse to be blind). He puts pressure on himself. He skates for himself, his choreo, his choreographers, his coaches, his family, Sendai, Tohoku, his fans, the people who have all contributed or helped him in one way or another, and for the future of skating. And he still delivers, and on both sides, the technical and artistic. This is the guy who went from 7th to 3rd at 2012 Worlds while injured. This is the guy who went from iirc 9th to 4th at 2013 Worlds while injured. This is the guy who went from 3rd to World Champ. This is the guy who went to Olys bearing Japan's expectations and grabbed gold. The guy who overcame himself to set the 3WRs anew 2 weeks after he first broke them. And we have ppl telling us that he can't. deliver. under pressure. Someone tell me a bigger joke? (then again, they are US analysts so)

It's this type of minute brainwashing that influences commentators, influences analysts, influences the audience and most importantly, influences the judges. Soon, it permeates the skating circles that Hanyu Yuzuru cannot skate under pressure. It's not whether he can, it will become whether everyone has the impression he can. Impressions are poeerful, and impressions are also insidious. I'm sorry if this sounds cynical, but this is how power games are played.

:clap: :clap: :clap: 

That last part is what worries me as well..

the50person said:
mcq said:

JW : I meant, it was magical right? Like it was like... I am sure that GPF 2 years ago and at NHK, and it was just like, obviously at WC you got huge contingent of Japanese fans there cheering and I am pretty sure it was pretty packed if not sold out that night. And it was just electrifying, it was just.. You can see with every single jump there was more and more momentum behind him. And you know when he got off that ice, you knew it was going to be another world record. It was a more difficult program than what he showed at GPF. Maybe it is not the most popular, but my thoughts on his the very best ever is still the GPF. Lower difficulty but higher quality program than what he had this year. But like you said, he did win that WC. If Javi has skated a clean FS, he did have that huge lead going in, I think probably they would give it to him, but it would take perfection from him."

An invisible upvote to you! :pbow: 

thank you!

I assume that at the end when they say 'if he hadnt won WC we'd be questioning if he can deliver under pressure because he hasn't for three years' they mean the two years he hadn't managed to get gold at worlds, despite managing to maintain GPF gold...but, those two years had issues, 14-15 was just...a mess of a season full of injuries and 15-16 he had a major injury when it was time for worlds...in which case it wasn't a problem with delivering under pressure. Though I guess that was the question forming through the season since he had the pressure of the previous season and the weight of next season looming over him...

But Helsinki was a nice little reminder to the reckless youth that even if they have higher BV and even if he bombs his short, he can win because he is that much better than everyone else on the feild.

World pressure is different from GPF. Many youngster did well at GP series, but when it comes to world, the pressure really got to them. Skaters will always have issues (injuries, sickness, boot issues) whether they mention it is their choice. Sometimes I think people expect Yuzu to be perfect because he never talk about injuries or things may affect him in competition, and he rarely WD and still win/medal almost all comps he enter. Thats why people have the impression that his issue may not that serious ( which I disagree with). People could get a bit overreact when it comes to Yuzu's ability to deliver at Worlds, but I think that because many of them really want him to win it, I means its a shame if a talent like him only got 1 worlds titles.

Overall I think their comments are quite fair and full of praise. I agree that Yuzu need this win to get back his reputation. They probably the only ones who not mention about that small gap between gold and silver, which I really appreciate :D

I agree. It's a false narrative. And that's why this win was so crucial, to fight back.

Indeed. The win shows that no one shld count him out of the race. And that a clean and good quality Hanyu is a WR Hanyu despite (I refuse to believe no one can see it unless they are those deniers) evidence of score suppression.

Um lol chill a bit. I actually think they are quite complimentary to Yuzuru if you actually listen to the podcast. From the tone of their voice, their word choice and their figure of speech, I think they genuinely think Yuzuru is the man to beat and if he is clean he would win. I would argue that the tone of how they talk about Yuzuru is even nicer than some (some, not all) Japanese media who sometimes paints a narrative as if Yuzuru is really threatened by the younger guys. They really think Yuzuru is still the top guy if he delivers.

the50person said:

Actually, I think it's mostly that NHK/GPF 2015 fried people's brains so nowadays their perceptions of Yuzu and what he can do or has done is always going to be measured over against those two glorious weeks.

Edited to english properly.

Um lol chill a bit. I actually think they are quite complimentary to Yuzuru if you actually listen to the podcast. From the tone of their voice, their word choice and their figure of speech, I think they genuinely think Yuzuru is the man to beat and if he is clean he would win. I would argue that the tone of how they talk about Yuzuru is even nicer than some (some, not all) Japanese media who sometimes paints a narrative as if Yuzuru is really threatened by the younger guys. They really think Yuzuru is still the top guy if he delivers.

I think the question is not that "Can he deliver under pressure?", because he can, he definitely can, we've seen many instances.

And for the ridiculous amount of pressure put on him, we all agree that he performed exceptionally well.

But the question should be, "Can he deliver under pressure at the right time?"

Because like it or not, we need to admit that Yuzu can be... a bit inconsistent some times.

He can crumble down under pressure. Yes, there's injury and whatnot, but WTT is an example where well... he can not-deliver under pressure as well.

And that's okay, he's a human after all (no, actually he's an alien), and I dare say that his humanistic side is what makes me care about him a lot more.

So yea, everybody knows his the best out there in terms of the whole package. He's on another level really.

But his biggest enemy right now is himself, in the form of mental pressure and self-doubt.

That's why winning the WC is indeed important, not to prove anything to anyone or add more medal collection, but just to give him that morale booster he really needs.

xeyra said:

Actually, I think it's mostly that NHK/GPF 2015 fried people's brains so nowadays their perceptions of Yuzu and what he can do or has done is always going to be measured over against those two glorious weeks.

Everyone got so greedy. Godlike Yuzu is too addicting.

beki said:
xeyra said:

Everyone got so greedy. Godlike Yuzu is too addicting.

I'll gladly be addicted hahahahah xD