General Yuzuru Chat

On 8/5/2023 at 9:46 PM, TallyT said:

Plenty of people drool over Keanu Reeves, Brad Pitt or Jason Momoa, and have in past years over Mick Jagger or  other music stars who've been married. So why not?

Exactly. As long as we're not crossing a line into being invasive, and are simply expressing our appreciation for his many attributes,  without any other expectation attached , it's fine. There are many ways to admire and remain respectful enough.

On 8/6/2023 at 6:25 AM, JennyYang said:

Before: He deliberately keeps distance with all females, maybe he's not interested in girls at all.

Now: ok, he already has someone in mind.

Literally one of my reactions to the news (I had a few different ones). 

My chief reaction, though, remains surprise that Yuzu has been able to keep the news secret until now. Like, we all knew he was a ninja, but THAT much of a one? Wow! 

24 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

He seems to like it when we do! We'll just have to drool respectfully from a distance. 

Hi Mrs Hanyu, let the fanyus have Yuzu during the ice shows and you may have him back after that🤪

2 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Literally one of my reactions to the news (I had a few different ones). 

My chief reaction, though, remains surprise that Yuzu has been able to keep the news secret until now. Like, we all knew he was a ninja, but THAT much of a one? Wow! 

I thought initially he is gay because of him having some female mannerisms and in zero relationship for so many years.....and yet he announced he is married just like that😂

12 minutes ago, LAY said:

Hi Mrs Hanyu, let the fanyus have Yuzu during the ice shows and you may have him back after that🤪

More like 'Mrs. Hanyu, your husband is doing it again! Come collect him before he kills us all with his gorgeous lines!'🤣

37 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

He seems to like it when we do! We'll just have to drool respectfully from a distance. 

Exactly. His marriage may have surprised us, but it didn’t surprise him. He knows how we get over things like the AERA photoshoot, knew he was getting married, and did the photoshoot anyway. Presumably he wouldn’t have done it if he minded us looking… :nod2:

2 hours ago, LAY said:

I thought initially he is gay because of him having some female mannerisms and in zero relationship for so many years.....and yet he announced he is married just like that😂

I changed my mind on it a few times, based on this or that observed behaviour, and kept wondering if the problem was my western cultural lens of what constitutes so-called 'straight' or 'gay' behaviour here, vs Japanese standards of same... but in the end it hardly matters, he's a wonderful artist and skater either way.

8 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

More like 'Mrs. Hanyu, your husband is doing it again! Come collect him before he kills us all with his gorgeous lines!'🤣

Too bad Mrs.Hanyu, you have to share Yuzu with us...lol.Good things must be shared🤣

5 minutes ago, river said:

Exactly. His marriage may have surprised us, but it didn’t surprise him. He knows how we get over things like the AERA photoshoot, knew he was getting married, and did the photoshoot anyway. Presumably he wouldn’t have done it if he minded us looking… :nod2:

And while we're on that point, announcing his marriage on the same day he appears on the cover of a magazine draped in red flowers and wearing eye makeup is one hell of a flex. It's like him saying "my image is whatever I want it to be, I'm secure in my masculinity, get over it."

2 hours ago, LAY said:

I never doubted he's gay, that's why I'm soooo shocked when he announced his marriage

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

And while we're on that point, announcing his marriage on the same day he appears on the cover of a magazine draped in red flowers and wearing eye makeup is one hell of a flex. It's like him saying "my image is whatever I want it to be, I'm secure in my masculinity, get over it."

As someone old enough to have been a teenager and adored guys from the New Romantic era bands and those that emulated the look, read vampire novels by Anne Rice and that sort of thing, men wearing lace cuffed fencing shirts, velvet frock coats/ embroidered waistcoats and guyliner are masculine styles. Just different type of masculinity compared with someone wearing sports clothes or jeans and t shirt. There's barely any difference in how Yuzu has been styled for his photo shoot and the new romantic style of the 1980's (or the 1780's for that matter, hehehe) just a slightly different perspective as to what makes one thing masculine and another not. 

In following all the angst and extasy over Yuzu's marriage I think one thing should not be forgotten when speculating how this might affect his skating. that being that while figure-skating is for some skaters a sport (primarily the jumpers like Nathan and Ilia) for others it is an art (Jason the prime example here), figure-skating for Yuzu is a religion, an absolute that requires a total commitment.  As such I see Yuzu's marriage as something he needs to fulfill his mission.  Coming from a close-knit family and aware of how the shared love of his sister and parents is a reality that illuminates his skating he sees now with his parents getting older (they're hardly ancient right now but those times are coming) Yuzu has decided he needs to create his own family to replace what inevitably will occur particularly if his sister should marry and his parents retire and look forward to their final years.  Indeed, they will still be a vital part of his life but Yuzu is looking down the years when the situation will be different.  He needs to create his own family in order to continue his skating mission.  It's the insights he's gained over the years from his experiences with his family that have so enriched Yuzu's humanity during these many years of his being married to the ice. That marriage can only be continued by having a family of his own making to replace that which while viable now will become dated as his parents age and his sister makes her own independent life.  I think nothing will strengthen Yuzu more than his becoming a father.  Being a father as well a husband will enrich his skating even more because he will now have a living and loving investment in the future by creating a new generation of Hanyus

Guys, this is Japan. Highly respected and appreciated heterosexual male actor-dancers can well excel in playing onnagata parts. So the boundaries of what is permitted to males might be ever so slightly different