General Yuzuru Chat

1 hour ago, SuzyQ said:

A relatively big earthquake here.

I'm living near Makuhari :panic:

My phone alarm was really scary, more than the earthquake itself.

OK. It seems not to be serious.

Stay safe, hope everything is Ok and settles back to normal quickly

Actually, a series of earthquakes are happening all over Japan recently. Not so big as the one happened the other day in Ishikawa Prefecture, but it's true that we are a bit worried.  And, you know, this year is the 100th anniversary of the Great Kanto Earthquake :shocked:

In any case, many buildings in Japan are earthquake resistant and stronger than the past.  So, everything gets back to normal quickly with the level of earthquake this time, including the transportation.

Thank you for your concern, everyone :grouphug:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/05/26/national/earthquake-jolts-tokyo-no-tsunami-threat/

23 minutes ago, SuzyQ said:

Actually, a series of earthquakes are happening all over Japan recently. Not so big as the one happened the other day in Ishikawa Prefecture, but it's true that we are a bit worried.  And, you know, this year is the 100th anniversary of the Great Kanto Earthquake :shocked:

In any case, many buildings in Japan are earthquake resistant and stronger than the past.  So, everything gets back to normal quickly with the level of earthquake this time, including the transportation.

Thank you for your concern, everyone :grouphug:

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2023/05/26/national/earthquake-jolts-tokyo-no-tsunami-threat/

Eek! I hope the earth settles down and it's just a little bit of movement. No need for another massive one any time soon.

other than the the earthquake news - I saw what happened in Chiba and I hope everyone is okay and not too rattled - I also saw photos of the FaOI costumes and, well....

:13877886:

Yuzu, you've worked hard on those abs!

Otsukaresama deshita.  :snonegai:

I'll go to the FaOI Makuhari tomorrow :cheer:

Fanyus in the venue may react to his abs and rattle and jolt the building. I'm just joking :bash:

Coelacanth Monaka (butter and sweet bean jam in wafers) brought by Yuzuru from Sendai for the show.

It seems to be another Hanyuconomy :D

My dear husband, who has been living with a fanyu since 2015, but I now realise has never actually noticed the lengths I have gone to to see competitions and in the off seasons shows, asked tonight when I was going to watch the FAOI show -  the naïveté - I started to try to explain the inexplicable reluctance of Japanese broadcasters to cash in on a certain moneymaker if they would only set up pay per view, but lost him early on.  He’s a football fan and a lifelong acquaintance with and loathing of the workings of FIFA make it hard for him to understand a set up where the powers that be for arcane reasons might choose not to wring the last penny out of a moneymaking opportunity.

wcCtn.jpg

hello everyone i want to ask something. I always see this video in the edits but i couldnt find it. I nearly looked everywhere but no never saw it in anywhere. Does anyone know how can i watch this or does anyone have it? Please give me feedback.

1 hour ago, bubbletea said:

wcCtn.jpg

hello everyone i want to ask something. I always see this video in the edits but i couldnt find it. I nearly looked everywhere but no never saw it in anywhere. Does anyone know how can i watch this or does anyone have it? Please give me feedback.

That was from a Japanese  news/variety TV show when they were doing FaOI in 2017 or 2018, I think? Can't remember the name of the show now. Might have been the Osaka stop? 

Anyone else recall this?

I see that they had an earthquake during the performance of Fantasy on Ice in Makuhari.  The epicenter was off the coast of Chiba prefecture, which is where Makuhari is.  It occurred in the middle of Javi's performance, a fact for which I give thanks.  Had it happened when Yuzu was on the ice I am sure it would have freaked him out.  There 's a history of Yuzu on ice when earthquakes occur (actually only once did it occur but that earthquake just happened to be the most powerful in the history of Japan with Sendai the city closest to the epicenter).  Even with Yuzu on the sidelines in Makuhari there I'm sure he must have had some strong flashbacks.

Actually, on Yuzu and earthquakes, I'm wondering if he is involved in any way with plans for commemoration of the Great Kanto Earthquake, which happened back in 1923 on September 1, some 100 years ago.  Tokyo has a history of earthquakes with an average frequency of every 75 years.  By that measurement Tokyo's 25 years overdue.  And Yuzu has a history of public service mainly for the rebuilding after 3/11 but he's pitched in on other earthquake charity drives also.  With that prominence I would not be surprised if he's been requested to figure in any of the events that will commemorate (though not celebrate) the 1923 quake.

On 5/25/2023 at 11:25 PM, nekodearu said:

Very interesting essay, thank you. Shout out to Sun_Rise, who's constantly digging through the academic databases, finding new and surprising evidences of how unique, inspiring phenomenon, beyond the sport itself, Yuzuru Hanyu is. Although I would have expected from an academic text to refer to the artist by his family name (Hanyu, not Yuzuru; but perhaps that's not a norm in Netherlands, I don't know) and to name the author of the choreography in question, David Wilson, I have learned something new and am grateful.

Thank you for your kind words. :flowers:

Since it is a student's end of term essay I guess we can forgive these shortcomings although I admit I was also surprised to see just "Yuzuru". But overall the argument is nicely presented and supported with good quality literature, I hope in the future we will see more analyses of Yuzu's skating and/or personality, also in top academic journals and books. 

6 時間前, micaelisさんが言いました:

I see that they had an earthquake during the performance of Fantasy on Ice in Makuhari.  The epicenter was off the coast of Chiba prefecture, which is where Makuhari is.  It occurred in the middle of Javi's performance, a fact for which I give thanks.  Had it happened when Yuzu was on the ice I am sure it would have freaked him out.  There 's a history of Yuzu on ice when earthquakes occur (actually only once did it occur but that earthquake just happened to be the most powerful in the history of Japan with Sendai the city closest to the epicenter).  Even with Yuzu on the sidelines in Makuhari there I'm sure he must have had some strong flashbacks.

Actually, on Yuzu and earthquakes, I'm wondering if he is involved in any way with plans for commemoration of the Great Kanto Earthquake, which happened back in 1923 on September 1, some 100 years ago.  Tokyo has a history of earthquakes with an average frequency of every 75 years.  By that measurement Tokyo's 25 years overdue.  And Yuzu has a history of public service mainly for the rebuilding after 3/11 but he's pitched in on other earthquake charity drives also.  With that prominence I would not be surprised if he's been requested to figure in any of the events that will commemorate (though not celebrate) the 1923 quake.

Actually, there was a not-so-strong earthquake when Yuzuru was performing last year in Makuhari.

It was a small and short one, maybe he did not notice while performing at that time.

Unfortunately, we have experienced so many earthquakes since the Great East Japan Earthquake, and in a meaning, we are used to earthquakes of this level, and I suppose so is he (to some extent, I must say).  So, I believe foreign skaters (as well as audiences) who attended the show in Japan and experienced the earthquake for the first time were shocked more.

After all, maybe, we are prepared to face a big earthquake someday somewhere as we are aware Japanese archipelago is located in a very dangerous place on the earth, and know that all we can do is to limit the damage as much as possible. 

Even in the Kansai area where there had not been big earthquakes was struck by the Hanshin-Awaji earthquake in 1995.

19 hours ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That was from a Japanese  news/variety TV show when they were doing FaOI in 2017 or 2018, I think? Can't remember the name of the show now. Might have been the Osaka stop? 

Anyone else recall this?

I don’t think this was during FaOI though, judging by the boards. Looks more like a regular competition.