General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, Xiupia said:

P&G reuploaded the pic they first posted a few days ago, with a message:

[NEWS]

Do you think they will support him in the future? These are good wishes but no confirmation as far as understand.

3 hours ago, Madita said:

Do you think they will support him in the future? These are good wishes but no confirmation as far as understand.

I think most will but to certain amount of time.... really depend on how long is the current contract, and how Yuzu goes from here. As long as he stays as the focus and maintains commercial value, I guess these brands won't leave (sad that's the reason but quite true :(((( ). I'm not too worried about this, at least in the near term future, as Yuzu already built his reputation and social status to the extent that, regardless of what he does in the future, he would always be one of the most valuable athletes in Japan and the best in FS world. Japanese people view him as some sort of spirit, rather than just an excellent skater lol.

There might be some going away but some new brands might come in, especially if he decide to start the Continues series. Plus maybe the reason for some brands to leave is, he become even more popular and not affordable LOL :yuzupout:

4 hours ago, Madita said:

No idea! 
To be honest, P&G tweeting about him surprised me the first time and now even more, because I thought his contract with them had already ended! LOL Some couple of years ago. 

I know they sponsor FaOI, so as long as that relationship is fine I’m happy. 
Also, they are quite a big conglomerate, many brands under that umbrella, who knows which new deals are going to be brought up and which ones expired. 

19 hours ago, Beatrice said:

Hello, I'm a newbie who discovered the treasure Yuzuru Hanyu quite late, by watching the TV footage of the Gala exhibition Saitama 2019 - the wonderful "Haru yo koi" - no need to tell you that I have been mesmerized ever since.  :love:
I'd like to express my gratitude for this forum and to all you lovely people here, whose expansive exploration and plentiful postings have saved me from drowning in my own tears after first reading about Yuzu's 'retirement' from competitions. Thank you for your dedication and for providing such prompt and extensive infos and updates on all things "Yuzuru".  :thanks:

Some weeks ago, while browsing Yuzu vids on YT, I stumbled upon footage of the Torino 2019 medal ceremony with fancam coverage of the approx 10 minutes where Yuzuru is in the background of the rink with Ghislain and he's dancing and laughing almost all the time while waiting for the junior ceremony to end - it appealed to me so much that I sacrificed almost an entire night to search for all available related videos, and I'd like to share with you the fruit of my sleepy labour. My apologies if these have already been posted here in earlier years or former pages, alas I don't have the time just now to read 7k+ pages, I struggle to keep up with the current news and infos as it is.

Yuzuru Hanyu - Medal ceremony GPF Torino (07.12.2019 - YH's BD) (in more or less chronological order)

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R1OnKq-uIc

(earliest start: YH in the background, talking to Jap.official, embracing + laughing with young woman, clapping for Jap.junior winner, waiting)

2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDnh_LfEumE
(YH sings along to Jap.anthem for junior winner, starts dancing, goes down to rink etc, medal ceremony from front-side, ends with stepping down from podium)

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxnPbgEK31g
(starts in the backgr after Jap.anthem for junior winner, then going to the rink, medals back-side view, ends before the US anthem for Chen)

4) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BOqIQQzc8w  
(dancing, interaction w Ghislain, then full ceremony front-side view)

5) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHKtnjXZKqs  
(by the rink, interaction with Ghislain, dancing, taking off jacket)

6) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRP28eUZ4S0
(going down to side of the rink, dancing, interaction with Russian + Ghislain + junior, then full ceremony from back-side view)

7) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewd-jIeF4OA  
(dancing, interaction with Russian+Ghislain+junior, then full ceremony in side view)

My daughter (whom I have not yet had the time to thoroughly initiate into Fanyu-dom) happened to see a short part of it - her comment was as follows: 
"No wonder your darling boy is dancing and laughing, after all he's happy to be the winner, isn't he ?"
My reply:
"No, my darling daughter, Yuzu is not the 'winner' of the gold  medal here; that is the yawning youth beside him in the yellingly-yellow shirt, looking like he'd rather be elsewhere. But Yuzu is the winner of all the hearts, like always!"

Welcome to the Planet and thank you for finding the videos of Yuzu before and during the victory ceremony at the 2019 Grand Prix Final in Torino. That was an extremely trying competition for both Yuzu and Ghislain. It is a measure of the character of both of them that they were able to smile, laugh and apparently enjoy themselves in those circumstances. What your daughter said to you and what you said in reply are both funny and revealing about the ISU chosen winner in yellow and the true winner, our winner of hearts.

One thing that I noticed in your otherwise interesting post is that you used the word "Jap" as an abbreviation for “Japanese”. I just wanted to point out to you and others who may not be aware of it that the word “Jap” is considered a disparaging ethnic slur, particularly to Japanese-Americans and Japanese-Canadians.

Wikipedia – Jap

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jap

"Jap is an English abbreviation of the word "Japanese". Today, it is generally regarded as an ethnic slur."

Dictionary.com – Jap

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/jap

"adjective, noun Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive."

"A contemptuous term used to refer to a Japanese person."

This applies to the word "Nip" (short for Nippon and Nipponese) as well. "Jap" and "Nip" are racial epithets. At their most benign, they are marginalizing and demeaning. At worst, they are extremely derogatory.

Interestingly, most people born and raised in Japan do not seem to take offense at the words “Jap” and “Nip”. This is probably because they are English words and mean nothing to them or they assume that they are legitimate English words. This is ironic because these words were used during and after World War II as derogatory expressions, intended to convey contempt and hatred, specifically against the nation and people of Japan.

I would suggest using the Olympic abbreviation for Japan – JPN – if you need to use an abbreviation for “Japan” or “Japanese”.

Please accept this post in the spirit in which it is given – i.e., as a friendly elucidation  – and  post often!

Hello Fanyus! This is a notice from your Friendly Fanyu Employment Agency!

Are you salty about how the ISU treated Yuzu? Do you want to help save the sport of figure skating? Do you want to DO something, rather than just complaining about it? Then you could be EXACTLY who we are looking for to help us with ICE: International Correspondence Event to advance the sport of figure skating. We are writing a letter to the ISU about our concerns with the direction the sport is taking, and the need for technology in judging. This letter will be downloaded and mailed to the ISU by thousands of fans from around the world. If you have the prerequisite knowledge, YOU CAN HELP by joining our totally elite development team of experts! Here is the applicable want ad:

Mary-kyo is hiring a candidate with a master or PH.D. degree in computer science with expertise in artificial intelligence. Having a good knowledge of computer vision and machine learning is necessary. Familiarity with deep learning and OpenCV is a bonus.

The project is about posture estimation, 3d modeling and action recognition of skaters using video frames.

The salary is of course burning down ISU and curing salty hearts. But if it goes well, several academic papers are on the horizon too.

Do you have the necessary skills? Want to get involved in this exciting project? Then contact Muffinator, Anabel, or Mary-kyo TODAY! (Or tonight, as the case may be.) You can be a part of the team that is trying to save figure skating, and you may be able to publish your findings in academia. YAY!! Win, win!!

3 minutes ago, Muffinator said:

Hello Fanyus! This is a notice from your Friendly Fanyu Employment Agency!

Are you salty about how the ISU treated Yuzu? Do you want to help save the sport of figure skating? Do you want to DO something, rather than just complaining about it? Then you could be EXACTLY who we are looking for to help us with ICE: International Correspondence Event to advance the sport of figure skating. We are writing a letter to the ISU about our concerns with the direction the sport is taking, and the need for technology in judging. This letter will be downloaded and mailed to the ISU by thousands of fans from around the world. If you have the prerequisite knowledge, YOU CAN HELP by joining our totally elite development team of experts! Here is the applicable want ad:

Mary-kyo is hiring a candidate with a master or PH.D. degree in computer science with expertise in artificial intelligence. Having a good knowledge of computer vision and machine learning is necessary. Familiarity with deep learning and OpenCV is a bonus.

The project is about posture estimation, 3d modeling and action recognition of skaters using video frames.

The salary is of course burning down ISU and curing salty hearts. But if it goes well, several academic papers are on the horizon too.

Do you have the necessary skills? Want to get involved in this exciting project? Then contact Muffinator, Anabel, or Mary-kyo TODAY! (Or tonight, as the case may be.) You can be a part of the team that is trying to save figure skating, and you may be able to publish your findings in academia. YAY!! Win, win!!

If you do not have the prerequisite skills, but know someone who does, YOU CAN STILL HELP!!! Please help me contact that person. Either forward this message to that person, or let me know who it is, and I will very politely invite them to join our campaign. We are sending a very professional letter written by qualified people with doctorate degrees. It's gonna be great!! Make history. Change history. Help us out!!!

Thank you all for your warm words of welcome :thanks:   (Yes, I like alliterations :giggle: )

1 hour ago, Geo1 said:

Welcome to the Planet . . . .

One thing that I noticed in your otherwise interesting post is that you used the word "Jap" as an abbreviation for “Japanese”. I just wanted to point out to you and others who may not be aware of it that the word “Jap” is considered a disparaging ethnic slur, particularly to Japanese-Americans and Japanese-Canadians.  . . . . .

I would suggest using the Olympic abbreviation for Japan – JPN – if you need to use an abbreviation for “Japan” or “Japanese”.

Please accept this post in the spirit in which it is given – i.e., as a friendly elucidation  – and  post often!

OMG, I'm sooooo sorry for having used that abbreviation ! I was not aware that it has such awful connotation, and I most definitely did NOT intend it as a slur to anybody, honestly! I was not thinking properly when writing those descriptions accompanying the links, I just tried to make the text as short as possible. My heartfelt apologies to all it concerns.

Thank you Geo1 for pointing out my blunder so that I can avoid repeating it in the future. 

I will go back and edit my post, I definitely don't want that word in it, now that I know of its negative connotation  ... but what about those posts of others who quoted mine ? I cannot edit those.

One more time, I sincerely apologize for hurting anyone's feelings, it was unwittingly done. 

Free Skate from same competition

Yuzu already performs with his signature flowing lines and musicality. Nanami sensei as his coach and choreographer helped Yuzu to develop and eventually perfect these wonderful qualities in his skating