General Yuzuru Chat

20 minutes ago, YuDai said:

Did he really say "breathtaking limbs"? Not that I disagree with him :68468287:

YES (translation obligation) and I'm OK too  :nod2:  and if you can't buy this wonderful book "Yuzu'll be back" you can leaf through it and with additional subtitles  :heartpound: :10815002: and another with Japanese skateboarders and  :thanks:  for ALL your tweets the fanyus  :grouphug:

This post has been tagged by yuzuangel as [NEWS].

Broadcasting news.

Shizuoka Sunday will be broadcasted live and bunch of other broadcasting times for at least Saturday and Sunday shows. And I saw other tweet that there will be live viewing of Kobe Sunday in Taiwan. Any Taiwanese satellites here wanting to experience FaOI at the movie theater?

[NEWS]

1 minute ago, YuDai said:

Is this also an (indirect) confirmation that there will be no livestreaming for Kobe? You win some, lose some...

I think Kobe has always been broadcasted by Fuji tv and has never had a live broadcast. In previous years Fuji has showed a program with lots of fluff and backstage material couple weeks after the show. I haven’t given up hope for that yet, but I feel like they should have announced the livestreaming now with all the other broadcasting news, if it was coming.

Like @lajoitko said, we will probably get a lot of fluff from Kobe, hopefully some on rink interviews :heart:, but yeah no live broadcasting as of yet! I’m also holding hope here still, this year has been just a little bit different! 

Good to have confirmation for Shizuoka, is only been a week between shows and I already miss it a lot LOL 

1 hour ago, YuDai said:

Did he really say "breath-taking limbs"? Not that I disagree with him :68468287:

You know, Yuzu’s legs get a lot of attention, and rightly so.

:003:

But his arms are equally remarkable. When I see images of him with his arms fully outstretched, my jaw just drops. His wingspan is insane!

:jaw:

11 hours ago, Muffinator said:

Does anyone know what age Yuzu was when he jumped his first 3A? How about his first quad?

I don’t know when he landed his first quad toe loop in practice, but he landed his first quad toe in competition as his first jump in his free skate at the 2010 NHK Trophy, his first senior competition. It was October 24, 2010. He was 15 years old.

Now I am immersed in the memories of Fantasy on Ice Makuhari. :animated-smileys-angels-151:

Sixteen years ago, a pop Japanese idol group sang Real Face.

It was the theme song for a TV drama about a group of delinquent high school students and their teachers. 
I thought the choreography of Real Face reflected the meaning of the lyrics very well.
Some of the song's lyrics use Japanese slang used by young men.
Yuzuru never uses such slang in his press conferences.
He skated, kicked, and punched while singing those lyrics. 
I like that very much. :10742290:
 I watch his performance over and over again.  :10636614:

Yuzuru usually prefers sophisticated choreography by excellent choreographers,

but I guess he dared to try a different taste in choreography for Real Face.
I think Real Face was a new challenge for Yuzuru.
He did a great job working with Sikao Suga. :thanks:

Even if you are sitting far away from the ice rink, you can still feel the excellence of Yuzuru's skating.
When he picked up the paper cup, I and the audience seated nearby held up our opera glasses.
I enjoyed it very much. 

I have applied for the lottery for live viewing tickets for Fantasy on Ice Kobe.
I also plan to apply for Fantasy on Ice Shizuoka live viewing tickets.
I hope I win the ticket. :snonegai:

12 hours ago, Muffinator said:

Does anyone know what age Yuzu was when he jumped his first 3A? How about his first quad?

9 hours ago, LiaRy said:

Aah, I watched this a couple of days ago.

Mr. Ambesi mentions when Yuzu jumped his first 3 A, but I can't remember when. I cannot check right now either, but it's pretty early on in the lecture shortly after he talks about seeing Yuzu for the first time. It's somewhere around when Mao Asada is mentioned as Yuzu watched her 3A and realized he could do it too. 

About his first quad - I don't know and I don't think I saw it mentioned. Maybe in an old coverage back when he was preparing for the 2011-2012 season it's mentioned.

I had the time now to look for the part in the lecture that I mentioned.

Mr. Ambesi recollects meeting Yuzuru when he was 13 and practicing for a JGP competition in Merano, September 2008 - there he attempted the 3A for the first time publicly, but didn't make it. However, Yuzu landed it about one month later in a national competition (Yuzu might've landed the 3A before, though, but still - around that time). Later on in the lecture, Mr. Ambesi mentions that during an event (stage?) with other Japanese skaters, Yuzu saw Mao Asada complete the 3A in front of him. If she could do it, then so could he - something along those lines (maybe that's just Mr Ambesi speculating on what Yuzu was thinking, not actually Yuzu's words). Then, 1 minute and 3 attempts later, Yuzu lands his first 3A.

4 minutes ago, LiaRy said:

I had the time now to look for the part in the lecture that I mentioned.

Mr. Ambesi recollects meeting Yuzuru when he was 13 and practicing for a JGP competition in Morano, September 2008 - there he attempted the 3A for the first time publicly, but didn't make it. However, Yuzu landed it about one month later in a national competition (Yuzu might've landed the 3A before, though, but still - around that time). Later on in the lecture, Mr. Ambesi mentions that during an event (stage?) with other Japanese skaters, Yuzu saw Mao Asada complete the 3A in front of him. If she could do it, then so could he - something along those lines (maybe that's just Mr Ambesi speculating on what Yuzu was thinking, not actually Yuzu's words). Then, 1 minute and 3 attempts later, Yuzu lands his first 3A.

I remember hearing/reading the same story and it was team Japan's training camp where he saw Mao's axel and something clicked in his brain and the rest is history...

On 6/9/2022 at 1:53 PM, LiaRy said:

The other day I have read a comment (I don't remember where) about Yuzu's insane edges and saves. The comment was made by someone who studied physics and it went something like this: Yuzu actually doesn't defy gravity, better yet, he understands it and knows it as well as his body and what it can do - which is a reason why he has insane saves on jumps anyone else would not be able to hold on to and why his edges are so deep.

I think that's actually a more beautiful (excuse the exaggerated comparison degree) interpretation of Yuzu's skating, edges and saves. Of course, the running joke of "Yuzu defying gravity" still stands. But it was interesting to see someone explain what he does in a "scientific" manner.

As examples, there were his besti squat 3A save from Faoi Nagoya Day 3 and his insane WTT21 3A save. For the former, he torqued his left shoulder hard and swung his weight outwards (something like that), while for the latter he used the weight of his left-free leg and hip flexibility to swing and counter-balance the weight of his upper-body. He has insane muscle memory and, frankly, I'm not even sure if he realizes what he does in the moment he does it.

Yuzu’s save of his 3A at the 2021 WTT looks like the illusion movement in gymnastics.

Another extraordinary save was the initial quad Salchow in his FS at the 2014 World Championships in Saitama. Chris Howarth’s comments: “How he stayed on his feet…” “The skill of this guy… “Anyone else would be on his right ear.”

10 minutes ago, Muffinator said:

@LiaRy Wow, thanks so much for this answer! You really put a lot of time and effort into it. Thank you!!

You're very welcome. I enjoyed listening to those parts of the lecture again. It's amazing to hear someone knowledgeable speak about the talent young Yuzuru had and to see now where he is, how he evolved... Genuinely, I'm speechless.