FIFA World Cup 2018

Yatagarasu

10 minutes ago, Winnie_20 said:

This +1. 

I kind of counted on this one being a cracker and possibly going into overtime, so I scheduled my bday dinner for tomorrow in between the two matches.

I am wishing now I hadn’t done that. 

Wanna bet tomorrow’s first match goes all the way into penalties? *face palm*

ehm..yeah...Brasilia— Belgium, right? ..

This world cup is a dangerous time to plan anything, it seems :grin:..but I really, really think, you will have a great bday dinner!!!

edit: I have problems getting home after leaving work early to watch a match every time I left early, today as well, there was a car accident in front of me and I had to wait in a traffic jam..today I thought about being cursed or something...facepalm..:xD:

I am not an expert, but I think Uruguay must have been really good to hinder the usually brilliant ways of the french team forward to the goal?

It did not  look as breathtaking as usual?

edit: never mind..tension is high for me in this world cup:)

Just now, raebia said:

I am not an expert, but I think Uruguay must have been really good to hinder the usually brilliant ways of the french team forward to the goal?

It did not  look as breathtaking as usual?

Yes, they're known to be very good closing spaces and axphixiating attacks. They've got a great defense. Before this match, only had conceded one goal. Many people feared French nt wouldn't be able to score at all, and that the match would be boring :)

But anyway, yay \o/

France played well, it's very reassuring for the next matches :)

On 7/4/2018 at 10:47 AM, Altie said:

France's victory in the 1998 world cup is the happiest moment in french history since the liberation at the end of WWII.

I mean, it's been measured, it's objectively true. I've witnessed it, I remember it perfectly - it was really incredible, and it went on for months. Everybody, happy, dancing and singing. And it even had a positive effect on the economy !

So I think almost every french person knows the name of every single player of that team, and about the main games. Even if they know nothing about football (I mean, I know nothing about football, and yet... ;) ). 

Sometimes, the importance football has is really crazy.

Tbh, it's been difficult for the other national teams since these glorious days (it was 20 years ago ! M'Bappé wasn't even born back then !) to shine in the shadow of their elders. There were many scandals, lack of results, and NT became very impopular...

But that new team, so young, sympathetic and talented, could succeed in making the national team popular again. Well, they ARE succeeding, I think. Griezman and Pogba were already stars before the world cup began. And Kante and M'Bappe are increasingly popular since the beginning of the world cup, there are songs about them, etc... :)

And I must confess I'm rooting for the french team for the very first time in my life. And I'm not that young anymore :)

Anyway, can't wait for friday.

I remember France '98, it was my first World Cup actually. I cheered for Brazil so much because I loved how fun and playful their style was and I loved Ronaldo, Rivaldo, R. Carlos & co., the whole team. What happened in the final was very traumatic for me lol but I was only a child, and it was just scary to watch how bad Brazil was and all those rumours about Ronaldo was really confusing. France of course played very well throughout the whole Cup, and it was a well-deserved victory. They had a great team with Zidane, Deschamps, Lizarazu, Petit, Barthez & others. 

After the final I remember watching the huge celebrations in TV. I can imagine how fantastic it must have been in France in those days. 

I can't believe that the final was almost 20 years ago (12 July, iirc?) :O Time is surely flying by.

I loved the non-official song of France '98. Anyone remembers Carnaval de Paris? It's a fun song :smiley-sport002:

Spoiler

Oh, wow wow, the table in my tv— journal is wrong: Belgium— Brasil is not tomorrow, as I thought, but this evening!!!

Adrenaline...oh my...I love the Belgian team, love the red devils, but Brasil to lose???

I do not want to lose one of them😳