Proposed changes for next season

(Do we have a streaming party for the ISU congress? :P)

The current thing with not allowing country spots if they don't have good enough skaters at the previous Worlds almost sounds like the Javi rule... wasn't it the case that he was the only skater and Javi won the World Championship so he got three spots for Spain? (though I think this is just for Oly?)

3 minutes ago, Xen said:

They don't understand digital formats of music, but they probably understand this thing called "twitter" and "mobile phones" -so for ultimate financial savings, all skaters will be required to submit their SNS for e-medals.

Yuzu misses his e-medal by refusing to get an actual SNS account.

Nah they will put Medal emojis on the picture of skaters on their website 🥇 🥈 🥉Skaters feel free to download and keep it, no fee required XD

1 minute ago, Nuitsuki said:

Nah they will put Medal emojis on the picture of skaters on their website 🥇 🥈 🥉Skaters feel free to download and keep it, no fee required XD

Nah, wait until they forget to do something like check the IP protection on the emoji and then get sued.

Then they need to retract all the medal emojis, and skaters and fans are informed that new medal emojis are forthcoming, but due to budget issues they can't hire a decent enough intern to do the actual design. A square placeholder is used for a year while a reasonable priced intern/freelancer is located.

1 minute ago, Xen said:

Nah, wait until they forget to do something like check the IP protection on the emoji and then get sued.

Then they need to retract all the medal emojis, and skaters and fans are informed that new medal emojis are forthcoming, but due to budget issues they can't hire a decent enough intern to do the actual design. A square placeholder is used for a year while a reasonable priced intern/freelancer is located.

You are right. Modern technology is too dangerous. We should go back to plastic stars, cardboard medals and chocolate medals.

Just now, Xen said:

The Javi/Caro rule to the Zagitova rule of yesterday?

We're on a roll ISU.

Tomorrow they will discuss the non-repeat quad rule, I assume it is Hanyu rule 😆 They are really consistent aint they.

Just now, Nuitsuki said:

Tomorrow they will discuss the non-repeat quad rule, I assume it is Hanyu rule 😆 They are really consistent aint they.

It could be both the Anti-Hanyu-PC rule or the We-Don't-Like-Nathan-repeating-4lz rule.

Both work really. Also we could call it "Guys go get all the quads or go home" rule. But hey~

2 minutes ago, Xen said:

It could be both the Anti-Hanyu-PC rule or the We-Don't-Like-Nathan-repeating-4lz rule.

Both work really. Also we could call it "Guys go get all the quads or go home" rule. But hey~

True. I wonder who is behind this rule tho. USA? 

Just now, Nuitsuki said:

True. I wonder who is behind this rule tho. USA? 

Well the biggest suspect is US, even though the rule is proposed by technical committee. And the suspicion is mainly, well US is the one fed that has 2 skaters who have both 4F and 4Lz.

The funny thing is for the Javi/Caro rule they even brought up Javi by name, but to be honest, I understood neither the argument, nor the explanation... (then again, I don't really understand the proposal either; ISU makes me doubt my English comprehension skills...)

9 minutes ago, Xen said:

Well the biggest suspect is US, even though the rule is proposed by technical committee. And the suspicion is mainly, well US is the one fed that has 2 skaters who have both 4F and 4Lz.

Vincent 4F was called ! at worlds, but it could easily be fixed because he is, well, american :knc_brian3:

If they’re targeting at Yuzu i think they’ve severely underestimated him :P he has 4T, 4S (this moody quad has returned as per report), 4Lo, possibly 4lz and 4A next season. It may take a while for him to completely control them all, but there will be the point Nathan can’t out TES him anymore

15 minutes ago, KatjaThera said:

The funny thing is for the Javi/Caro rule they even brought up Javi by name, but to be honest, I understood neither the argument, nor the explanation... (then again, I don't really understand the proposal either; ISU makes me doubt my English comprehension skills...)

I think the idea was to increase skaters diversity based on the bottom line.

I would consider it the "anti-coasting" rule, for example:

• Small Fed has 2 skaters who go to WC 2021, Skater A places 6, skater B does not make it to Free skate
  • So Small Fed technically has 2 entries for OWG 2022, but no, hold on now with this rule
  • Skater A is qualified, but that 2nd spot now has to be fought over because skater B did not make it to Free Skate portion of WC 2021
  • So now, Small Fed if they want that second spot, must send and qualify someone via Nebelhorn or other event to get that second spot secured for OWG 2022

That's how I'd read it-essentially feds need to make sure they have more than 1 skater who can truly qualify for the FS at the previous WC. Which sounds great, in theory, and could improve diversity. However, we then get into trickier issues if a fed is truly small, and does not have a good list of alternates. Let's just say that if small fed has skaters A, B, C, and B, C are able to make WC 2021, but skater A who normally places top 6, has to WD due to injury. Now, what if skaters B and C don't make it to Free skate? Or only 1 make it but place so low they only get one spot for small Fed? Then they are out of luck. If no one made it, skater A will need to go to Nebelhorn to get even 1 spot, while skaters B and C might not make it? While if B and C managed to secure 1 spot, this could mean Skater A still goes to OWG 2022, but skaters B and C are out of luck.

It's a bit odd, since this could also disincentivize feds unless they can get a good stable of skaters to backup each other. =/

This could, get really nasty for say, Korean Men's, Kazakhstan men's, quite a few western european feds, possibly even Chinese fed if they don't get anyone up besides Boyang. =/

The biggest problem with the ISU is the lack of flexibility. There were some good proposals that were rejected just because of the wording (like the usp stick proposal), which could have been amended slightly and passed based on the discussions happening :shrug:

Also, I don't understand the fans of FS at all. Why all the outrage about the backloading rule change (when it is just a bonus added for a reason and now scaled back because it is being abused) while the biggest issue of rejecting proposals about preventing conflict of interest and national bais are barely mentioned:smiley_hairpull:

We all know that judging is the biggest problem in FS right now and that is where our and the the ISU's focus should be.Yet, we are spending all our time and energy discussing the backloading rule, which really is not that important since good skaters will still be successful with the new system as they did with the old (unless backloading is the only thing they are good at, then they need to work on improving other areas, which is a good thing IMO)