Team Russia

Thank you everyone for the videos. I really want to see Zhenya's SP in a better quality as frankly it was difficult for me to find connection with the program because of poor video quality. I want to see all the small details and elements. But the music was very good and I'm happy that Zhenya did all her jumps well. 

And despite all the worries for Alina, she seemed to be even stronger than last season. She was more nervous, which is understandable as it's her first time. I'm sure she will feel more confident at the next competition.

Liza seems to be very motivated. I really enjoyed her skating and I love that confident presence that she shows now. I hope she can keep that spirit and even improve at the GP circle.

I'm sad we couldn't see Anna's or Polina's programs. 

Thoughts about the ladies' SPs:

1. Evgenia. Loveeeee her short program music. Is there any miming in her program? Because I can't see it from that low-quality video and I have to say, it looks really good without! She is clearly a very musical skater. Love the transitions into the axel and the loop.

2. Alina. I really love black swan/swan lake so it's one of those war horses I don't mind if skaters use over and over. I have to say Alina is my favorite Russian lady right now. Her jumps are the best, her rippons and tanos are enjoyable. So much height/flow and confidence. Well I'm not the type of person who lets mistakes affect my enjoyment of a program so I think this one was my favorite, but I'm sure she will end up being clean when it comes to the major events anyway.

Though her choreography in the beginning...well, if I didn't know this was black swan, I wouldn't really have guessed. She hits a lot of full body poses, can some of them be more swan-like/balletic? I'm thinking the first lift in elena ilinykh/nikita k's black swan FD. Something like that. Alina also doesn't hold positions long enough (just a second longer would be fine!). And I think maybe a little more bladework than posing would be great for a killer step sequence. But her body lines are sublime.

Love her ending spin and flourish with her hands. 

3. Elena Radionova...well, I think this is one of those programs where the music drives the program and the skater struggles to keep up. The music is upbeat and trendy but she is noticeably slow, especially in the spins. She just needs better skating skills for this program, and I wish she spent the summer working on those (but I know she also has jumps to work on). Honestly I don't see much difference from last year when she was with Inna since she moved camps, but it's only been a couple months and she has a little bit more time. 

4. Sotskova. Shame about the jumps, but her posture and skating skills are really nice (especially after watching Elena) and her spins were fast and centered. She has a more introverted skating style which I think could be powerful with the right choreography and even better skating skills. Too bad without perfect jumps, she'll have a hard time getting on the team this year.

Final thought: who let a screaming baby into the arena? :laughing: At first I had to wonder if it was part of the music (sometimes you never know).

l liked Med's program. I think it's because I have always loved that music, calm and elegant. I found the first spin a bit awkward and slow, but I"m sure it's because it's September. The program built nicely and I'm sure she'll do very well with it. This will sound petty, but my favourite thing will be if she starts off the program with her mouth closed... no angsty expression on her face. If that is gone, I"m sold. It's her best work to date.

I loved Alina's program. It's dramatic and she really hits the highlights well. I think her moves into the 2A are wonderful and when she hits that jump it will be great. I would love to see them throw marks at her like they do at Med.

either way, both of these girls have really good programs and will do well with them. Med because it's calm and subtle, Alina because it's dramatic and emotional.