And ISU proves once again it is absolutely brilliant when it comes to promoting skating. Ah the sport is dying. So few kids and teens are getting into it. It's almost as if we should find something that can at least occasionally relate and bring in the viewers, maybe get featured in a popular teen magazine .... oh we know! We're going to file a copyright claim and take down the 3+ million views Sailor Moon video. That ought to do it! Right?

:slinkaway:

16 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

And ISU proves once again it is absolutely brilliant when it comes to promoting skating. Ah the sport is dying. So few kids and teens are getting into it. It's almost as if we should find something that can at least occasionally relate and bring in the viewers, maybe get featured in a popular teen magazine .... oh we know! We're going to file a copyright claim and take down the 3+ million views Sailor Moon video. That ought to do it! Right?

:slinkaway:

Wait, who filled the copyright claim? ISU? Are you sure it was ISU? On Zhenya's Sailor Moon from WTT video!? Why would they do this?

32 minutes ago, xeyra said:

Wait, who filled the copyright claim? ISU? Are you sure it was ISU? On Zhenya's Sailor Moon from WTT video!? Why would they do this?

Yup. I have the link bookmarked and when you check, it says "This video contains content from International Skating Union, who has blocked it on copyright grounds." 

Why, well copyright! Or in translation because these <insert uncomplimentary name in the language of your choice> are dinosaurs who do not understand the fluidity of today's world and how social media work, how relevant they are and important to spreading of awareness so they stick to their archaic, strict world view without seeing the bigger picture. 

12 minutes ago, Yatagarasu said:

Yup. I have the link bookmarked and when you check, it says "This video contains content from International Skating Union, who has blocked it on copyright grounds." 

Why, well copyright! Or in translation because these <insert uncomplimentary name in the language of your choice> are dinosaurs who do not understand the fluidity of today's world and how social media work, how relevant they and important to spreading of awareness so they stick to their archaic, strict world view without seeing the bigger picture. 

And then they complain about viewership numbers and interest in the sport... why even Sailor Moon? The only remotely interesting skating piece for a more teenaged crowd?

6 minutes ago, xeyra said:

And then they complain about viewership numbers and interest in the sport... why even Sailor Moon? The only remotely interesting skating piece for a more teenaged crowd?

Probably because it had so many views, no matter how silly that sounds but yeah. Yuzuru's programs are up, so is the gala. It really is unfortunate, I kept seeing that program linked in some rather surprising places but they obviously do not want skating promotion, especially not to those critical demo groups!

Bringing this in from the USA thread. Regarding the steps into a solo jump and given that the new rules don't really define creative/original moves before the jump but require -3 GOE for elements that don't obey the stipulated criteria, will we be seeing more or less negative GOE on quads with no preceding steps/skating movements, I wonder. 

1 hour ago, Yatagarasu said:

Probably because it had so many views, no matter how silly that sounds but yeah. Yuzuru's programs are up, so is the gala. It really is unfortunate, I kept seeing that program linked in some rather surprising places but they obviously do not want skating promotion, especially not to those critical demo groups!

This is so incredibly frustrating, why are they so invested in self sabotage. Japan is particularly bad with protectionism of content online (Fuji.........>__>) but the ISU are no better. That being said, one glance at the age and demographic of ISU officials and reps will tell you why their attitude is stuck in the past... 

1 hour ago, xeyra said:

Bringing this in from the USA thread. Regarding the steps into a solo jump and given that the new rules don't really define creative/original moves before the jump but require -3 GOE for elements that don't obey the stipulated criteria, will we be seeing more or less negative GOE on quads with no preceding steps/skating movements, I wonder. 

That rule change was so vague... ugh. It gives more room for subjectivity. So, I'd say it would depend on who the tech panelist will be and  the skater.

1 hour ago, kaerb said:

This is so incredibly frustrating, why are they so invested in self sabotage. Japan is particularly bad with protectionism of content online (Fuji.........>__>) but the ISU are no better. That being said, one glance at the age and demographic of ISU officials and reps will tell you why their attitude is stuck in the past... 

Yes, pretty much. The world has changed significantly and skating officials have been left behind. The worst is that it always takes twice as long to fix the damage than to cause it. 

About the steps, I'll believe they'll call them when I see it :laughing:

Can I just say how much I hate the judges? Skaters, particularly the men, now know that the best way to increase PCS is not to improve skating skills and add transitions but to have and land multiple quads. I'd also like to express my anger at tech panel... call those UR's and wrong edges! Argh..... And ISU! Instead of maybe training judges and tech panel on how too score properly, they're taking down viral videos that should help increase their audience worldwide. I'm so frustrated.

.... Sorry for the rant. hehehe

@kaeryth don't worry about it, I think we all ranted at one point or other. Multiple times. Well, frequently :13877886:

It's 125th birthday of the ISU in a couple of days, maybe they could give us a gift and make sure the judging is good for this season? 

We'll have to wait and see. Honestly at this point, I'd take the UR, steps and edge calls. I think PCS is simply busted and not much to be done about that, but these things are sometimes called so why not now? Though, it's Olympics plus the season before a rule change and if anything I feel like scores will be flying. We need to arm ourselves with patience.

21 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Can I just say how much I hate the judges? Skaters, particularly the men, now know that the best way to increase PCS is not to improve skating skills and add transitions but to have and land multiple quads. I'd also like to express my anger at tech panel... call those UR's and wrong edges! Argh..... And ISU! Instead of maybe training judges and tech panel on how too score properly, they're taking down viral videos that should help increase their audience worldwide. I'm so frustrated.

.... Sorry for the rant. hehehe

Yeah, I don't get why, if you have the quads, then you get +5-10 more PCS points. I mean, a quad alone is worth 10+ points. Isn't that enough? And before anyone says "well people like Jason Brown can't get 99 PCS because he doesn't have quads," that doesn't mean adding quads alone should = higher PCS, but more like there is a baseline standard for men's skating and that is at least 2 quads in the FS (or something else...based on where the state of the sport is at that point) and if you don't have that then your PCS potential is capped/lower/whatever, but just adding more quads but not improving interpretation/SS/etc. doesn't automatically = higher PCS. Just higher PCS potential. idk, YMMV. 

I still think the "adding quads = higher PCS" formula has been only applied for some specific skaters, combined with the push from their federations. With others, just praying judges are in good mood that day.

About the rule of proceding steps before solo jump in SP, I seriously don't want to write an essay with nasty words :facepalm:

Well, we've got a 16 yr old (turning 17, I know) going for 6 quads in his free skate :facepalm:. Clearly his team believes it's worth doing. He's got USFSA on his side. And honestly, with Nathan not being a surety about going on after the Olympics or not then I do see them pushing Vincent early on.